Sign in to follow this  
A Horse Named Stranger

US Politics: Weimar, Washington, Whining, Bush II

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Could still be a step up from Barrett. 

Eh, seems like a lateral move.

I've volunteered as a poll worker in my country many times. If anyone had turned up trying to even influence voters, let alone intimidate them, we would have told them off and snt them away. If they didn't comply, we'd have  called the police and they would have taken them off grounds. Of course they wouldn't have been carrying guns...

Edited by Mindwalker

26 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I've volunteered as a poll worker in my country many times. If anyone had turned up trying to even influence voters, let alone intimidate them, we would have told them off and snt them away. If they didn't comply, we'd have  called the police and they would have taken them off grounds. Of course they wouldn't have been carrying guns...

I’m a poll worker too.  We pull down any political signs within 400 ft of any polling place.

28 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

If anyone had turned up trying to even influence voters, let alone intimidate them, we would have called the police and they would have taken them off grounds.

This is generally the case here too, although very importantly not always in certain targeted precincts.  Either way, voter intimidation before the police are called is still voter intimidation.

18 minutes ago, Mladen said:

Please tell me this is fake news. Because... I can't... even... begin to comment.

I can't verify the quote, but it sounds like what he'd say after just receiving Kosovo's Order of Freedom and gaining a second nomination for the Nobel in the process in as many weeks.  Of course, in actuality the agreement reached is fairly boiler-plate normalization and otherwise wholly symbolic rather than effective.

Murkowski statement:

She confirms she doesn't support having a confirmation vote before the election, though doesn't actually say anything about the lame-duck session (I'd be surprised if she went for that though, unless Republicans win/steal the election). Not too big a surprise really, but good to see nonetheless. I still don't know where a 4th blocker might come from though (and that assumes Romney is against this, which he hasn't actually confirmed yet).

11 hours ago, Triskele said:

even if I'm sure there are many fascist-leaning police, doesn't make me think they'll be involved in that type of stuff this time around.

Why in the world would you think that the cops wouldn't be involved in this, "this time around" when they already are? at least by omission, if not direct commission (which latter they are too, in many places, and have been for a very long time, in the Southwest and the South).  They did nothing when the Florida recount was physically stopped by rethug mob intimidation, just for starters.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

I still don't know where a 4th blocker might come from though

Indeed.  And yeah this seems like a firm statement - significantly more firm than Collins' - so I guess that's something.  If she's position-taking like this, it's more than fair to assume she'll remain the same if the vote is taken up during the lameduck session.

15 minutes ago, Zorral said:

They did nothing when the Florida recount was physically stopped by rethug mob intimidation, just for starters.

I agree the Brooks Brothers riot is an important and calamitous event to recall, especially now, and more importantly just generally - I include it in my lectures - but it's simply wrong to assert the police "did nothing:"

The demonstration turned violent and according to The New York Times, "several people were trampled, punched or kicked when protesters tried to rush the doors outside the office of the Miami-Dade supervisor of elections. Sheriff's deputies restored order."

Geller, a Democrat and now a state representative, asked for a sample ballot he planned to use to demonstrate a flaw in the machine tabulation system only to be almost immediately swarmed by protesters accusing him of stealing a ballot.

“Then I was surrounded by all of these pushing, shouting, shoving, kicking, elbowing people,” Geller remembers. He eventually got away with the help of a police officer who intervened. The protest had a lasting effect.

3 hours ago, karaddin said:

I hadn't seen that kind of sentiment expressed before and this made me feel like there was a whole bunch of people who are basically orgasmic for Biden and it really confused me.

Fury Sr. is one of those people for whom Biden is (and always has been) THE guy. While my mom is inner city and indigenous, Fury Sr is a rural raised white dude in his early 60s. He has spent over 40 years in a labor union. For guys like him, Biden is their dream dude. He’s a good supporter of organized labor and talks about his dad being a union steelworker, he’s folksy, they think of him like a democrat version of John McCain with all that Maverick bullshit- and he’s got a muscle car. Joe Biden is the king of boomer dad democrats.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

Re: Democracy dying

For those of you who live in the US, what would have to happen in the coming months for you accept that the extreme scenario Triskele posted above was actually happening? At what point do things become so bad that you pack your car and attempt to flee to Canada or Mexico while you still can? Would it take Trump stealing the election with the help of a conservative SC? Trump arresting Biden after declaring himself the winner of the election? Armed checkpoints in your community? Something else? 

Edited by tzanth

41 minutes ago, tzanth said:

what would have to happen in the coming months for you accept that the extreme scenario Triskele posted above was actually happening? At what point do things become so bad that you pack your car and attempt to flee to Canada or Mexico while you still can?

I'm not leaving until the brownshirts come for me.

44 minutes ago, tzanth said:

For those of you who live in the US, what would have to happen in the coming months for you accept that the extreme scenario Triskele posted above was actually happening? At what point do things become so bad that you pack your car and attempt to flee to Canada or Mexico while you still can? Would it take Trump stealing the election with the help of a conservative SC? Trump arresting Biden after declaring himself the winner of the election? Armed checkpoints in your community? Something else? 

Americans have said many times that they are leaving and heading for Canada. They rarely do. However, when their lives are at risk they have done it, notably during the Vietnam Nam war draft. However, once amnesty was passed most left and went home.

1 hour ago, tzanth said:

The more relevant question would be what would have to happen for people to take to the streets? And not for a one-off march; but rather long-term, general strike type protests that could lead to any number of different outcomes?

For me, it's anything extra-legal (or a court decision without any legal basis) that throws the election to Trump. Trump winning legitimately would suck beyond measure, but fine, it's what happened. And that includes him winning because of the standard Republican playbook of voter suppression; that's unfortunately an accepted part of the system we have. But if ballots are being seized, or destroyed, or not counted for any reason, or if Trump doesn't concede (and appears to be attempting to stay in power; rather than just throwing a tantrum and then disappearing Jan 20), I'll be out there. And I don't know what comes after that.

42 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Americans have said many times that they are leaving and heading for Canada. They rarely do. However, when their lives are at risk they have done it, notably during the Vietnam Nam war draft. However, once amnesty was passed most left and went home.

Not only that, it is DAMN HARD to immigrate into Canada. If you have the slightest misdemeanor conviction, it is extraordinarily difficult. I have a reckless driving from 2014.

My previous company paid at least $10k to various immigration lawyers on my behalf; trust me. And that was just for a temporary residence permit and work permit. (Though I think I’ve had 3 temporary residence permits, maybe 4, and two work permits.)

I can apply on January 24, 2023 (I’d have to double check, it might be 2024) to get my record wiped clean via “criminal rehabilitation”. And that will take a year. Only then (if I convince the authorities that I am “rehabilitated” - and trust me, I’m very active in volunteer work for precisely this reason - might they grant the request. That’s easily going to be $5k to the immigration lawyer, and that is a personal expense, since it’s not related to any work I am doing now or for a business purpose.

Generally, you also have to have a job or means of support. Right now, I’m eligible for a work permit easily under NAFTA. And if I got the rehabilitation status, I miiiiiiight be able to find a job; problem being I make a good amount of money in USD and I’m only really valuable at the executive level to a Canadian company who is publicly traded in the US as a US domestic registrant (this does happen - before it went bankrupt, Cirque wanted to be in this position, as it was owned by US private equity). 

if I wanted to emigrate to the EU, I might find similar obstacles. I looked at a job in Luxembourg, once, for a US company, and again.....lots of procedures.

I can’t think of what I’d be doing in Mexico other than being at risk of being kidnapped, so that’s likely off the table. I’d thought about Barbados or Bahamas, but I’m a city girl. I’d die if I were just trapped on an island paradise.

Looks like I’m stuck here. Might as well make the best of it but also try and keep my Canada options open a few years down the line, even if just so I can visit if I want to. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I'm not leaving until the brownshirts come for me.

Usually at that point its a little too late, no? 

1 minute ago, tzanth said:

Usually at that point its a little too late, no? 

Most likely, yeah. 

14 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I shared these earlier and then deleted because I thought it must be a parody account.  But nope!  It's legit!  It's real!  Iowans having a hell of Saturday on Twitter.

I feel like this is a code telling their armed followers to do...something.

You know, like how those bad guys in Hearts of Atlantis (Stephen King) tracked the old guy.

Edited by Simon Steele

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Indeed.  And yeah this seems like a firm statement - significantly more firm than Collins' - so I guess that's something.  If she's position-taking like this, it's more than fair to assume she'll remain the same if the vote is taken up during the lameduck session.

I agree the Brooks Brothers riot is an important and calamitous event to recall, especially now, and more importantly just generally - I include it in my lectures - but it's simply wrong to assert the police "did nothing:"

If the cops were so effective, why was the recount not resumed?

The very idea if it 'gets that bad' you can drive to Canada or Mexico, or fly to some other country -- well, no you can't.  What the hell do you think the 'border walls' are all about anyway?  Why would Mexico or Canada allow in all of us carrying covid-19?  Our passports are worthless.  I guess, of course, we could from the frying pan to another frying pan, like Brasil, maybe? Do you have any idea how many countries won't let in people from the US?  It's not that easy to find out, either from our own gummit sites or anyone else's.  :dunno:

Edited by Zorral

Just now, Zorral said:

If the cops were so effective, why was the recount not resumed?

It was a unanimous decision not to resume the recount made not by the police.  I totally agree with you in the respect that that "protest" was a pivot on the Florida recount.  And it absolutely should be emphasized and used as a warning for what's to come in the next six weeks.  But those fratboy GOP fuckfaces did not seize nor destroy any ballots, and the police did remove them from the premises.  Which contradicts your argument.

Canada, the EU, The U.K. Australia and more are hard to immigrate to unless the stars align. If you have a lot of money,  you can do a start up that employs a couple of people.