Terry Goodkind has passed away

Wicked Woodpecker of West

According to his Facebook profile:

"Terry Goodkind

This morning, Thursday, September 17th, we lost Terry Goodkind. It is a great loss. An unimaginable loss. It is impossible to put into few words just how amazing of a man, a husband, a writer, a friend, and a human, Terry Goodkind truly was. He is already desperately missed. We are forever grateful for him having shared his life’s work with all of us, as he was always grateful to be held in our hearts.
“To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here, we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we can have. Cherish it for what it truly is . . . Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it.” - Terry Goodkind
We love you, Terry."

6 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Ok, I did not expect to wake up to *this* news.

One of the last of the old guard of 90s big fat fantasy has sailed on. 

My condolences to his wife and family.

Most fantasy writers who were big in the 1990s (the 1970s, for that matter) are still with us. I'd be a bit concerned if they were all dropping like flies from only twenty years ago!

Just now, Werthead said:

Most fantasy writers who were big in the 1990s (the 1970s, for that matter) are still with us. I'd be a bit concerned if they were all dropping like flies from only twenty years ago!

It feels like we've lost so many from that era. Eddings, Jordan, TG...

(Makes me want to have Dennis McKiernan and David Farland put under protection!)

2 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Don’t waste a lot of breath on Eddings, dude.

Oh I have *no* intention of doing that. My brain simply equates him with that particular decade, alongside several others, who were prominent at that time, if that makes sense?

I don’t know how to describe how this makes me feel. People who’ve been around this board for a while know that I was not kindly disposed toward Terry Goodkind, but at the same time I felt some kind of weird connection to him. And despite generally being a bad sport about basically everything, he could sometimes be a good sport about our criticisms here. He once mailed me a Faith of the Fallen t-shirt and a signed copy of Confessor, with a funny little note attached. RIP Terry, I will genuinely miss you.

33 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I don’t know how to describe how this makes me feel. People who’ve been around this board for a while know that I was not kindly disposed toward Terry Goodkind, but at the same time I felt some kind of weird connection to him. And despite generally being a bad sport about basically everything, he could sometimes be a good sport about our criticisms here. He once mailed me a Faith of the Fallen t-shirt and a signed copy of Confessor, with a funny little note attached. RIP Terry, I will genuinely miss you.

this is kinda how I feel. It's like how someone once decribed Michael Crichton; abhorrent viewpoints, worldview and writing, but....a strange attachment?

Aye. I'll miss him in an odd way. RIP the Yeard.

10 minutes ago, Lightsnake said:

this is kinda how I feel. It's like how someone once decribed Michael Crichton; abhorrent viewpoints, worldview and writing, but....a strange attachment?

Aye. I'll miss him in an odd way. RIP the Yeard.

That pretty much sums up how I feel too. 

30 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Yeah it's weird. 

Yeah, big 90s books. Jordon, Goodkind, Feist, Eddings, Weiss/Hickman. Hmmm Brooks. I'm forgetting one or two.

Wow a lot of those don't hold up.

I wasted my high school years reading so much crap.

Still think (earlier) Feist is the best of the bunch. The first three Riftwar, and especially the Empire trilogy, all still hold up today.

Of course, he was my favorite at that time too....

17 minutes ago, Infidel said:

Still think (earlier) Feist is the best of the bunch. The first three Riftwar, and especially the Empire trilogy, all still hold up today.

Crap, Feist too. Someone send a battalion of sardukar to his front door! 

Archived