Terry Goodkind has passed away

Wicked Woodpecker of West

3 hours ago, Myshkin said:

I don’t know how to describe how this makes me feel. People who’ve been around this board for a while know that I was not kindly disposed toward Terry Goodkind, but at the same time I felt some kind of weird connection to him. And despite generally being a bad sport about basically everything, he could sometimes be a good sport about our criticisms here. He once mailed me a Faith of the Fallen t-shirt and a signed copy of Confessor, with a funny little note attached. RIP Terry, I will genuinely miss you.

Didn't realize you had such an intimate correspondence with him. Interesting. 

45 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Didn't realize you had such an intimate correspondence with him. Interesting. 

His PR guy contacted me a few years ago when they were trying to clean up his online image. Right about the time they forced all the TG message boards to shut down and threw Mystar under the bus. Sadly I never spoke directly to the great man himself, as Terry didn’t believe in the internet. Still though, I treasure that Faith of the Fallen t-shirt.

5 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

His PR guy contacted me a few years ago when they were trying to clean up his online image. Right about the time they forced all the TG message boards to shut down and threw Mystar under the bus. Sadly I never spoke directly to the great man himself, as Terry didn’t believe in the internet. Still though, I treasure that Faith of the Fallen t-shirt.

Wait, what happened with Mystar? This requires elaboration.

3 minutes ago, Lightsnake said:

Wait, what happened with Mystar? This requires elaboration.

In a nutshell, TG got a new PR team to clean up his image and they decided to blame pretty much everything on Mystar. They even claimed Mystar posed as Terry for several of his uglier interviews.

1 minute ago, Myshkin said:

In a nutshell, TG got a new PR team to clean up his image and they decided to blame pretty much everything on Mystar. They even claimed Mystar posed as Terry for several of his uglier interviews.

....we know how Mystar took that?

Are there like...any direct quotes? Cause wow.

I too am a little bummed out by this news, and hope the best for his family and fans.

I’d like to say stuff like “He’s smiling down at us from Objectivist heaven, atop stacks of money he somehow brought with him.”, but will save it for later.  If anyone ever deserves an 80 page eulogy, it was this man.

RIP, TG.

56 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

And yeah, I think this is a missing puzzle piece of a story I never clicked  during lemmings time.    Sounds like an interesting story for the wake.

RIP, Terry. Never read a word of what he wrote outside of a few quotes on the board over the years, but I know he brought many people joy (not always in ways he intended), and he had friends and loved ones.

I think mystar withdrew from the internet after the PR people threw him under the bus (and they really, really did throw him under the bus; it was very ugly and, IMO, completely unprofessional, cruel behavior to the point where I recall people here were crying foul when they showed up on Westeros with their song and dance.)

I actually had several more direct interactions with him, when he emailed me to ask for my help in shutting down a website that was selling pirate copies of his book (why he couldn't get this done himself with his lawyers and publishers and greater resources, I don't know). Seemed perfectly fine. I know several publishers and editors who had much more direct interactions with him and said he could be difficult in rejecting any and all editing suggestions, but beyond that was fine.

Yeah, big 90s books. Jordon, Goodkind, Feist, Eddings, Weiss/Hickman. Hmmm Brooks. I'm forgetting one or two.

Brooks was the 1970s, Feist, Eddings and Weis/Hickman were the early 1980s.

1990s authors would be GRRM (obviously 1970s when he started publishing SFF short stories and the 1960s for writing, but 1990s for entering the fantasy genre), Robert Jordan and Goodkind. Erikson was 1999 so people associate him more with the 2000s. Salvatore and Williams were late 1980s but close enough to the end of the decade that people associate them more with the 1990s.

Robin Hobb started publishing in the early 1980s as Megan Lindholm but switched to the Hobb name in 1995. Pratchett was the early 1980s as well and had already become quite famous before the end of the decade.

(Makes me want to have Dennis McKiernan and David Farland put under protection!)

You'll need Farland's real name then, Dave Wolverton (under which name he wrote some weak Star Wars novels).

13 hours ago, IlyaP said:

It feels like we've lost so many from that era. Eddings, Jordan, TG...

(Makes me want to have Dennis McKiernan and David Farland put under protection!)

Given the surprise on how old Goodkind was, I looked up the ages of over 30 fantasy authors who had popular books in the 1980s and 1990s and who are still living.

And Dennis McKiernan would definitely be the one needing the most "protection" because he is 88 years old. The only other one who came near to that is Piers Anthony at 86. Then we jump a whole decade to Terry Brooks, L. E. Modesitt, and Glen Cook, who are all 76. Elizabeth Moon is 75, much older than I would have thought.

Meanwhile Neil Gaiman is only 59 and Garth Nix 57, the only two still in their 50s among those I checked. 

10 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Yeah count me in on needing more details on that one. Had a few uh, interactions with mystar way way way back. They did not go well.

So I don’t think Mystar ever said anything publicly about it; he just kinda fell on his sword and faded away. As Ran said, the whole deal was pretty ugly and cruel. To make things worse, this came just after they convinced Mystar and Vedd, webmaster at TG.com, to shut down their sites so that Terry could launch his own site without competition. Vedd was even pressured to hand over his domain name. Worse still, Terry’s new website never really got off the ground, and all they succeeded in doing was to kill the one corner of the internet where Terry was taken seriously. I was never on very good terms with Mystar, but I was actually on surprising good terms with Vedd, and he and I talked about it after everything went down. Basically what he told me was that neither he nor Mystar were super jazzed about having to shut down their sites, but they saw it as the right thing to do for Terry (Terry at the time was toying around with the idea of cutting out his publisher and selling directly to his fans via the new website). But after the new PR team so completely threw Mystar under the bus, many of the really hardcore fans, the ones who drove TG’s online fandom, soured on the whole endeavor.

30 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

So I don’t think Mystar ever said anything publicly about it; he just kinda fell on his sword and faded away. As Ran said, the whole deal was pretty ugly and cruel. To make things worse, this came just after they convinced Mystar and Vedd, webmaster at TG.com, to shut down their sites so that Terry could launch his own site without competition. Vedd was even pressured to hand over his domain name. Worse still, Terry’s new website never really got off the ground, and all they succeeded in doing was to kill the one corner of the internet where Terry was taken seriously. I was never on very good terms with Mystar, but I was actually on surprising good terms with Vedd, and he and I talked about it after everything went down. Basically what he told me was that neither he nor Mystar were super jazzed about having to shut down their sites, but they saw it as the right thing to do for Terry (Terry at the time was toying around with the idea of cutting out his publisher and selling directly to his fans via the new website). But after the new PR team so completely threw Mystar under the bus, many of the really hardcore fans, the ones who drove TG’s online fandom, soured on the whole endeavor.

NGL, this all sends....very Goodkind.

I never much cared for mystar, especially when he was outright lying about Game of Thrones being dropped by HBO for reasons I've never been able to fathom, but that'snot the way you treat your own loyalist.

Archived