Status of Westeros Post-GoT (SPOILERS S8/E6)

KingStoneheart

So, I think everyone on this forum (surely) was disappointed in some way or the other with at the very least one aspect of the last couple of seasons and in particular the final season and final episode. I (being a huge GoT fan) allowed a lot of things to slide and kind of just accepted the stupid things. One thing I got really disappointed in was the ending status of Westeros.

In the final meeting, Sansa declares independence for the North but EVERYONE else bends the knee to “Bran the Broken”. I for one think this is outrageous and would have even been “happy” if the actual result of the meeting was the country returning to a 7 Kingdoms Structure as follows -

- The North, Riverlands and Vale: Declare Sansa as their queen. Sansa united the Vale to the North’s cause for the Battle of the Bastards and the Knights of the Vale fought at Winterfell to defend the north from the White Walkers. The great lords (Well Lord Royce) stood up for Sansa when it came to executing Littlefinger for treason and thus, I think that the Vale would swear fealty to Sansa. This could possibly be backed up via a marriage alliance between Robin Arryn and Sansa. The Riverlands fought for Robb Stark in the War of the Five Kings and (I believe) would once again swear fealty to the new Queen in the North, the daughter of Catelyn Tully (and Edmure’s niece).

- The Iron Islands: This really annoyed me. No way would Yara just sit back and allow the North to declare independence when the Ironborn have started two different wars for independence in the past two decades, so I think this explains itself. The Iron Islands would become independent under either the direct rule of Yara or they’d hold another Kingsmoot and elect a new King.

- The Westerlands: In the absence of all members of House Lannister, the great houses (probably Lord Crakehall, Lord Marbrand and Lord Brax) sit on the meeting and declare independence, returning to the Rock or Lannisport to elect a new Monarch of the Westerlands. They would also agree to exile Tyrion for his crimes of murdering Tywin.

- The Stormlands: They would declare Gendry Baratheon their King and that would be that. Davos would be the Hand of the King.

- The Reach: Like the Westerlands, in place of the great house Tyrell, the other great houses of Redwyne and Rowan (House Tarly being extinct as well) would return to the Reach to elect a new ruler of the Reach.

- Dorne: Like the Westerlands and the Reach, the great lords would elect a new Prince of Dorne.

Obviously, this leaves us with 6 kingdoms so the 7th could either be a new Crownlands where they rule from Dragonstone (Possibly under the rule of Tyrion?) Or the 7th Kingdom is the Riverlands, making Edmure king of the Trident. Regardless, I would have liked to see Kings Landing become a desolate destroyed landmark (like Summerhall or Valaryia) where all the surviving townspeople of the burning would retreat to the nearby villages and towns.

On a side note, I think it would have been a nice touch to hear something about the Dothraki following a Khal who has begun raiding lands around the Reach. No way in hell would a Khalasar of Dothraki flee back across the sea (they followed Dany) or bend the knee to a cripple.

Like I said, this would have just been my preferred ending based on how they set things up. Let me know what you think

The Status of Westeros post-Game of Thrones is that Benioff & Weiss just plain didn't think it out, admit they didn't think about anything after Daenerys dies until they were filming and hastily threw it together (as they openly admit in their behind the scenes videos).

The Status of Westeros post-Game of Thrones is the same as the status of the X-Men universe after the failure of X-Men 3:  there's eventually going to be a new adaptation that erases and supersedes it.

"Benioff and Weiss-eros" is not going to continue to exist as an ongoing franchise - an ongoing, "persistent fictional universe".  It was a con job, a fraud, that lasted a decade.

And while many were in denial since Season 5, even the casual fans hated Season 8, so there isn't a big groundswell of support for it.

Don't you understand that "TV-Sansa" doesn't even exist as a coherent, fictional character?  Hasn't since Season 5?  That it was just Benioff & Weiss randomly pushing ACTORS, not characters, around into "big scenes" to show them off for Emmy awards?  

You can't think out "what happens next" because what they presented wasn't just "bad" or "something we disagree with"....it was genuinely incoherent (The North getting independence just because Sansa asks for it, but the Iron Islands and Dorne not?)

The master of coin doesn't even know how borrowing money works so there is going to be an economic crisis in Westeros. 

The Lord Paramount of the Reach is some random mercenary with no claim to that domain and surrounded by numerous houses who do. So there's going to be a civil war in the Reach, which shall likely mean a food shortage for the rest of Westeros. 

The Hand of the King and de facto ruler of the Six Kingdoms is completely incompetent so Westeros shall be run into the ground. 

All the Lannisters are either dead or disgraced. Except for one. All hail Reginald Lannister! Lord of Casterly Rock! Lord Paramount of the Westerlands and Warden of the west! Long may he reign!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 12:04 PM, The Dragon Demands said:

The Status of Westeros post-Game of Thrones is that Benioff & Weiss just plain didn't think it out, admit they didn't think about anything after Daenerys dies until they were filming and hastily threw it together (as they openly admit in their behind the scenes videos).

The Status of Westeros post-Game of Thrones is the same as the status of the X-Men universe after the failure of X-Men 3:  there's eventually going to be a new adaptation that erases and supersedes it.

"Benioff and Weiss-eros" is not going to continue to exist as an ongoing franchise - an ongoing, "persistent fictional universe".  It was a con job, a fraud, that lasted a decade.

And while many were in denial since Season 5, even the casual fans hated Season 8, so there isn't a big groundswell of support for it.

Don't you understand that "TV-Sansa" doesn't even exist as a coherent, fictional character?  Hasn't since Season 5?  That it was just Benioff & Weiss randomly pushing ACTORS, not characters, around into "big scenes" to show them off for Emmy awards?  

You can't think out "what happens next" because what they presented wasn't just "bad" or "something we disagree with"....it was genuinely incoherent (The North getting independence just because Sansa asks for it, but the Iron Islands and Dorne not?)

Thinking back on Sansa: why couldn't she just ask Daenerys to retain independence if it's so dang important for her? Yara asked.

• 1 month later...

OP - you are overthinking it.

GRRM is never going to finish.

D&D tried to put frat boy version of gurl power into Sansa.

That's it.

No more complicated.

The only characters that any vague kind of depth came through on was Dany, Jon and Tyrion - the rest were sad caricatures.  The saddest rendering of all was still my avatar, so don't fret it, we were all ripped off. 

• 1 month later...

"The Stormlands: They would declare Gendry Baratheon their King and that would be that."

Now, how would that be that? There's no reason to put some street kid from King's Landing in charge.

Oh, you say he's Baratheon's son? Prove it. If that's the case he should have been brought up by some loyal retainer of Baratheon's, who the other lords would believe. But he wasn't.

And even if he was Baratheon's son, he's a bastard, so that's irrelevant. The last thing the lords want is bastards showing up and making claims, embarrassing the family. It's also illegal. Bastards do not inherit.

He has no lord vouching for him. No soldiers, no gold, no allied houses outside the Stormlands. The only "proof" is that the crazy foreign woman who burned the capitol wanted to put him in charge as her lackey. That works to his disadvantage. Very much.

House Baratheon is gone and there are others who want the seat. That's how it works.

As for King's Landing, it would never become a burned landmark. It's not on an island like Valyria was - which only remained uninhabited because of the magic-caused diseases that affect people on the island. King's Landing is on the mainland and has a great harbor, the best harbor on the continent, in a central location. You don't leave great harbors just because the buildings were burned. You build new buildings.

Archived