Why Mirri Maz Duur was in the wrong

Tyrion1991

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

I see Illyrio, Viserys, and Drogo as the people who actually sat down and negotiated the agreement whereby 13 year old Daenerys would be traded in return for military aid from the Dothraki. Varys, Jon Connington, and Harry Strickland were all in the loop, according to ADWD.   I don't think she had any choice in the matter. I don't think she was a party to these negotiations,  I think she was treated in effect as a chattel.   

Yet after Dany was married, Viserys was killed and Illryio did no longer factor in the ecuation.

It was Dany, without any kind of pressure whatsoever, the one that was continuously trying to instigate a Dothraki invansion. It was not the  Golden Company or Illryio or JonCon.

According to ADWD, they knew that someone was going to do something, but little else. 

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

I think it's reasonable to hold adult male military commanders and politicians to a higher standard of responsibility than a child bride, who has no choice but to obey.

But there is a difference between holding them in a higher standard and exonerate Dany altogether.

Child bride or not, chattel or not, forced to obey or not. It's a fact that Dany did all she could, albeit she could not do much more than talk and sex, to get Drogo to invade Westeros.

That's agency.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

The worst that can be said of her is that she spoke in favour of invading Westeros.

Which is related to Mirri. The worst that can be said about her is the same that can be said about the Golden Company and it's worst that can be said about JonCon.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Once the first hit was put out on her, by Robert Baratheon, both she and Drogo were entitled to believe that there would be further attempts (they were not to know that Robert had fallen victim to a pig) .

But she was trying to get back at Robert from the get go, nor she stops her quest once she knows that Robert's dead and Eddard's dead.

So, why should we pretend that it was the attempt what set her off??

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

I see the Dothraki riders as the people who chose to commit atrocities without any instruction or incitement  or persuasion to do so on her part.  I see her as someone who did her best to prevent atrocities. 

I don't exonerate Tywin for the Elia affair because, "the blood is not in his hands". Both Tywin and Dany used mad dogs fully knowing that they were mad dogs. Dany does not incite or persuade the Dothraki to rape their way through the Lhazareen, but she knows that would happen and she accepts that as a way to further her war, she says it herself, she needs them to be enslaved and sold if she ever hopes to see Westeros.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

I'm pretty sure my 13/14 year old self would not have done nearly so well in her shoes., were I female.

Likely, we like to judge characters, and real people, that were in situations so fucked up that there is no outcome, it's our passtime.

Yet, I very much doubt that my 13/14 would trying to get a continent by fire and blood without regard for others lives. If I had done that, I would be as guilty as she.

1 hour ago, TedBear said:

Because that was the deal for him to be able to marry her, Viserys would give him Dany, "a gift" the Viserys crown would be the way Drogo would thank the gift, it was something that was in progress, after the assassination attempt he felt offended , from then on this village was doomed, regardless of whether Dany cared about Westeros or not.

That was not Dany's gift and Dany had no other reason to insist on it but ambition or revenge. 

it was something that was in progress, after the assassination attempt he felt offended , from then on this village was doomed, regardless of whether Dany cared about Westeros or not.

It was not in progress, Drogo cared little for the pointy chair. Dany was the one who unilaterally kept going on and on.

When Drogo says that he's going gift her son with his grandfather's Throne, those are Dany's words, not Drogo's.

To conquer, like everyone else

Then it's not simply "go" to Westeros. 

1 hour ago, frenin said:

Yet after Dany was married, Viserys was killed and Illryio did no longer factor in the ecuation.

It was Dany, without any kind of pressure whatsoever, the one that was continuously trying to instigate a Dothraki invansion. It was not the  Golden Company or Illryio or JonCon.

According to ADWD, they knew that someone was going to do something, but little else. 

But there is a difference between holding them in a higher standard and exonerate Dany altogether.

Child bride or not, chattel or not, forced to obey or not. It's a fact that Dany did all she could, albeit she could not do much more than talk and sex, to get Drogo to invade Westeros.

That's agency.

Which is related to Mirri. The worst that can be said about her is the same that can be said about the Golden Company and it's worst that can be said about JonCon.

But she was trying to get back at Robert from the get go, nor she stops her quest once she knows that Robert's dead and Eddard's dead.

So, why should we pretend that it was the attempt what set her off??

I don't exonerate Tywin for the Elia affair because, "the blood is not in his hands". Both Tywin and Dany used mad dogs fully knowing that they were mad dogs. Dany does not incite or persuade the Dothraki to rape their way through the Lhazareen, but she knows that would happen and she accepts that as a way to further her war, she says it herself, she needs them to be enslaved and sold if she ever hopes to see Westeros.

Likely, we like to judge characters, and real people, that were in situations so fucked up that there is no outcome, it's our passtime.

Yet, I very much doubt that my 13/14 would trying to get a continent by fire and blood without regard for others lives. If I had done that, I would be as guilty as she

Talk and sex is not agency.  Agency belongs to those who have power.  Daenerys did not have power.  The power to determine war and peace belonged with her husband.  The power to determine how that war was conducted belonged with her husband, and his commanders.  We have a four week window, following Viserys' death, where Daenerys advocated war in Westeros, as opposed to war in Essos, on one occasion that we know of.   Prior to that, the war was her brother's. If Daenerys took part in strategy sessions, then of course, that would implicate her in atrocities.  But we have no evidence that she did.

Tywin was in command of Lorch and Clegane.  Daenerys was in command of nobody, apart from four bodyguards. That's why we hold Tywin responsible for Lorch and Clegane.  

It was not the murder attempt per se that set her off (it triggered her husband).  Rather, the fact that half her family had been murdered, and that she and her brother had been driven into exile, and so far as she knew, they were in danger.  The attempt to poison her simply confirmed her belief that Robert wanted her dead.  But Robert had already provided reason for her to fear for her life.  Naturally, she wanted Khal Drogo to fulfill his end of the bargain.  But, she was not the one who negotiated the bargain.

The scene at Mirri's Village does not end with her thinking "This is the Price of the Iron Throne" - too bad ". It continues with her trying to save lives in the face of fierce protests from the riders.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Talk and sex is not agency.  Agency belongs to those who have power.

Agency belongs to those who have will.

Otherwise, you can't blame Littlefinger for Jon's murder. As such, he was a nobo Sex and Talk was all he needed to get Lysa to kill her husband.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

The power to determine war and peace belonged with her husband.  

That doesn't mean that she has no power whatsoever, influence is power.

In fact that's how women exert their power in Planetos.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Prior to that, the war was her brother's. If Daenerys took part in strategy sessions, then of course, that would implicate her in atrocities.  But we have no evidence that she did.

We have evidence that she knew the logical outcome of her instigation to war and she accepted it as the price to pay.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Tywin was in command of Lorch and Clegane.  Daenerys was in command of nobody, apart from four bodyguards. That's why we hold Tywin responsible for Lorch and Clegane.  

So, again.  Petyr can't be held responsible for anything.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Rather, the fact that half her family had been murdered, and that she and her brother had been driven into exile, and so far as she knew, they were in danger.

Were they now?? Dany herself doesn't believe her own brother.

They had wandered since then, from Braavos to Myr, from Myr to Tyrosh, and on to Qohor and Volantis and Lys, never staying long in any one place. Her brother would not allow it. The Usurper’s hired knives were close behind them, he insisted, though Dany had never seen one.

Dany believes the Usurper and his dogs the devil, yet she did not believe that he was after them. Dany's actions also come after she is truly safe, as far as she knows, surrounded by thousands of bloodriders and married to the most powerful Khal in Essos.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

The attempt to poison her simply confirmed her belief that Robert wanted her dead.

No, the attempt on her life arose said fears, It does not confirm any believes she already had.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

But Robert had already provided reason for her to fear for her life.

Doubtful as she did not fear for her life, her brother did.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Naturally, she wanted Khal Drogo to fulfill his end of the bargain.

How is natural?

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

But, she was not the one who negotiated the bargain.

She was the one pushing for it to become something real.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

The scene at Mirri's Village does not end with her thinking "This is the Price of the Iron Throne" - too bad ". It continues with her trying to save lives in the face of fierce protests from the riders.

And does that erase the fact that. 

1) The Lhazareen were still going to be sold to fund her war.

2) First, she did accept their situation as the price they had to pay.

Responsibility is only for the non-Dany characters. Dany is responsible for fREeDoM--beautiful (superficial, transactional) freedom (that benefits her personally). Her firegasms alone will save the world from darkness. Her twat tequila will cause a revolution in the streets. One look into her violet eyes and people will start salivating over the U.S. nuclear arsenal and praying for a new Hiroshima to solve the world's problems. ASOIAF is not about whether you win or die, it's whether you are a Dany or a Non-Dany character. #DanyMRAGA (Make Rhaesh Andahli Great Again)

12 hours ago, GoldenGail3 said:

because she murdered dany's baby and khal drogo...

But did she? We are assuming MMD has powerful magic. Could she not have defended herself with it? Took violent revenge wile traveling with the Dothraki? Unleashing  curses and plagues With none the wiser? Could she not have poisoned/hexed Daenerys and the unborn baby as easily as she did Drogo? Yet she didn’t kill Drogo or the unborn. We are TOLD it was a stillborn monster. If MMD or Jorah said all the missing Dothraki were transmuted into monsters and buried when Daenerys woke up, would you believe that? ;D

“No need to hold a funeral for the babe, just toss it wherever. The mother won’t be interested to see, or grieve for it. Just an unmarked hole, trust me this princess won’t want to see this ugly baby. And you can trust me I’m not a secret agent working for an evil group of plotters towards world domination “

So was the babe smuggled out or stillborn....or turned into a horror. MMD could have had horrible vengeance upon all Dothraki if she has that kind of power. But nope, Daenerys snuffed out Drogo and MMD may not have even harmed a child....After all MMD is a Maester educated, Moon singer, Midwife, herbalist, chiropractor, homeopatholigist, Avon girl,and registered union member local 7913, who speaks Westrosi. Really convenient for a pregnant gal to bump into. :D

On 9/22/2020 at 12:49 AM, Rose of Red Lake said:

Responsibility is only for the non-Dany characters. Dany is responsible for fREeDoM--beautiful (superficial, transactional) freedom (that benefits her personally). Her firegasms alone will save the world from darkness. Her twat tequila will cause a revolution in the streets. One look into her violet eyes and people will start salivating over the U.S. nuclear arsenal and praying for a new Hiroshima to solve the world's problems. ASOIAF is not about whether you win or die, it's whether you are a Dany or a Non-Dany character. #DanyMRAGA (Make Rhaesh Andahli Great Again)

LOL LOL LOL :lmao:

Now I understand better your view on the character.You can see her as the devil and ignore all the text that Martin puts in front of you showing her being compassionate if you like but it won't make you right.

On 9/23/2020 at 8:20 AM, TheLastWolf said:

Mirri Maaz duur was in the wrong coz there a lot of narrow minded prejudiced Dany fans who think so.

Those are the same who are toxic in their hatred of everything not Targ, from Jon to Arya( all the starks), the whole North and whatnot. 

I tought it was pretty clear that Martin does not favour Targs over Starks or Starks over Targs.

I think something is being overlooked in all the nit picking over Dany's knowledge of Drogo getting slaves. And that's that it is irrelevant. Sorry, but it is. 

We are examining what Mirri did and why, and if she was evil, misguided, neutral or good in doing what she did. So it must be examined from her perspective, not Dany's. 

So, when Mirri first encounters Dany, Dany rides up and gives orders for the men to stop raping Mirri, and claims her and all women for herself. Then Mirri is there when Drogo backs Dany's decision, this is how she wound up healing him. (And I believe she did try to heal him, and that he failed to follow her instructions leading to infection)

So what does this tell us? This tells us that as far as she knows, based on what she's seen Dany has power, and her snapping at her that you do not ask slaves to do something you tell them shows us that she does believe Dany made her a slave, and she accidentally did by claiming her regardless of her intent, and Mirri is not in her head thus has only what she sees to go on. The reality is irrelevant to her motives and actions, and not worth arguing over. Only Mirri's perception is relevant.

Then Drogo falls off his horse, and she is ordered to save him. 

Now here things get murky. Either she genuinely tried to save him, and Dany being brought into the tent messed things up, or Mirri planned it all. As their was no way to know Jorah would bring her into the tent, l favor the first option, but understand that some people favor the deliberate one. 

But I'll start with the first option. She is a slave, she was ordered to do something and her instructions weren't followed resulting in not only her failing to save Drogo, but the child dying as well. Her life is over, she believes she will be killed for her failure no matter what and it's because Dany didn't ensure that everyone knew and followed her instructions. (We know Jorah was unaware as he showed up late and she was in labor and all that, but Mirri doesn't) So she lashes out, and tells Dany exactly what she thinks will hurt her the most, because she views Dany's failure to follow her instructions as being the reason she is going to die. And she doesn't need visions to know about the prophecy, she's been in the Khalazar, you can bet everyone was talking about that baby. So she would know via gossip and just used it to lash out. That is what I believe, and I think being burned alive for lashing out when you just saw all your people die, your home destroyed and now believe your own life is at an end is horrible.

Her perception was wrong, it influenced her actions. Simple as that. 

Now, if she did make him a vegetable, and kill the baby on purpose she would be in the wrong, but not deserve to be burned alive wrong, nothing warrants that, but execution would be standard and understandable in this case. But, the Khalazar already broke apart, Drogo lost his men the moment he fell off his horse, they simply waited until nightfall to slip away, but his falling and the consequence of that are common knowledge, she had nothing to gain by doing this. The baby growing to be the Stallion without Drogo to turn him into a warlord are nil. No motive, means it is most likely option one. She's not a villain or a martyr, and wouldn't think it heroic. Just a frustrated and scared woman at the end of her life you lashed out.

16 hours ago, Azarial said:

So what does this tell us? This tells us that as far as she knows, based on what she's seen Dany has power, and her snapping at her that you do not ask slaves to do something you tell them shows us that she does believe Dany made her a slave, and she accidentally did by claiming her regardless of her intent, and Mirri is not in her head thus has only what she sees to go on. The reality is irrelevant to her motives and actions, and not worth arguing over. Only Mirri's perception is relevant.

I think it suggests the opposite. If Mirri truly believed she was made a slave, then she would not have snapped at her "master", as doing so would lead to punishment. That also isn't the actions of a frustrated and scared woman, but an angry and bitter one.

You've painted MMD as someone who was just naive and misunderstood the situation, yet in her sassing, she is acknowledging Dany's courtesy and respect towards her ("You do not ask a slave"). In fact, just before this quote, she witness Dany once again trying to protect her from the Dothraki. She also sees just how little power Dany has without Drogo. Seems to me, Mirri knows Dany is not of her oppressors and that she's been kind to her. She hurts Dany, away - not because she has a vendetta against Dany, per se, but because she simply doesn't care how her vengeance against her rapists affects Dany. Dany is just collateral damage to her.

Mirri's actions are understandable, but that doesn't make her baby killing excusable. She took advantage of someone's trust and kindness to enact vengeance. And in the end, she herself is killed in revenge. And round and round goes the cycle.

17 hours ago, Azarial said:

Then Drogo falls off his horse, and she is ordered to save him. 

Now here things get murky. Either she genuinely tried to save him, and Dany being brought into the tent messed things up, or Mirri planned it all. As their was no way to know Jorah would bring her into the tent, l favor the first option, but understand that some people favor the deliberate one. 

I am one of those people. Why would MMD volunteer to heal her oppressor? It does not track with the attitude she displays later on.

Besides that, Mirri's healing involved stuffing a bunch of leaves and mashed up herbs into a wound and then sowing it shut. That's how you prepare chicken, not how you treat an arrow wound! To be sure, the Dothraki herbwomen slapping mud over the wound wouldn't have helped, but the festering probably started with Mirri's poultice. The Dothraki healers mended the gash on Cohollo's arm just fine.

As for Rhaego, Dany starts experiencing extreme pain and early labor before entering the tent.

Really, each person interprets it differently, Mirri killed Drogo and didn’t kill the baby, she didn’t kill either of them and was just a victim, she killed the baby and really tried to cure Drogo. Dany's baby died because she entered the tent, the baby died because MMD exchanged his life for Drogo's, he died because Dany sacrificed his life to hatch the dragons. This discussion never ends. 

19 minutes ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

I think it suggests the opposite. If Mirri truly believed she was made a slave, then she would not have snapped at her "master", as doing so would lead to punishment. That also isn't the actions of a frustrated and scared woman, but an angry and bitter one.

I can see why people believe this. But, she didn't get punished for it. And she was simply stating to Dany that she was still a slave, making it clear that she didn't feel she had been saved by Dany. Dany didn't understand, she's young I wouldn't expect her to. But I think Mirri would be wise enough to know that healers and other slaves of value are treated better than other slaves. So healing him is in her best interest. And Dany claimed those woman from the men in the Khalazar, and they let her take them, then went to Drogo who backed her. Dany had men she could order to step in and ensure her orders were carried out. So what if her power comes from Drogo? She still, as far as an outsider would observe, has more power than those men. And I didn't say she was scared here, I said she was aware that she was going to be killed when he became a vegetable, and the baby died. You are twisting things and it's disingenuous to debate that way. 

You've painted MMD as someone who was just naive and misunderstood the situation, yet in her sassing, she is acknowledging Dany's courtesy and respect towards her ("You do not ask a slave"). In fact, just before this quote, she witness Dany once again trying to protect her from the Dothraki. She also sees just how little power Dany has without Drogo. Seems to me, Mirri knows Dany is not of her oppressors and that she's been kind to her. She hurts Dany, away - not because she has a vendetta against Dany, per se, but because she simply doesn't care how her vengeance against her rapists affects Dany. Dany is just collateral damage to her.

Really? Did you even read what I said? Because this indicates that you didn't. I never said she was naive and misunderstood. I said her perception would be different from Dany's. Dany feels like she has very limited agency, but from the outside given what Mirri saw she would appear to have more power than many of the men in the Khalazar. She gave orders, some men ingnored her but she had her own men that enforced her wishes, the others went to Drogo, he sided with her. These are facts. Mirri isn't in her head, she doesn't know Dany's feelings. She doesn't know Dany's Brother traded her for an army. You can't judge Mirri based on information she doesn't posses. And her stating I'm a slave, isn't acknowledging that she has been treated with courtesy and respect. It's her saying I'm a slave no matter how you speak to me, so get to the point and save me your false courtesies. I'm not claiming she's a naive victim, you are claiming anyone who doesn't think she's an evil mustachio twirling villain thinks that by claiming I made claims I never did and it's garbage.

Mirri's actions are understandable, but that doesn't make her baby killing excusable. She took advantage of someone's trust and kindness to enact vengeance. And in the end, she herself is killed in revenge. And round and round goes the cycle.

I said in my post this is possible. And when did I say baby killing was excusable? I said the babies death may not have been her intent. That's not even close to the same thing as excusing killing a baby!

I am one of those people. Why would MMD volunteer to heal her oppressor? It does not track with the attitude she displays later on.

Because she knows she will be sold, and being sold as healer means she can continue being a healer and will be treated better, it's not rocket science.

Besides that, Mirri's healing involved stuffing a bunch of leaves and mashed up herbs into a wound and then sowing it shut. That's how you prepare chicken, not how you treat an arrow wound! To be sure, the Dothraki herbwomen slapping mud over the wound wouldn't have helped, but the festering probably started with Mirri's poultice. The Dothraki healers mended the gash on Cohollo's arm just fine.

We don't know enough about her methods to know one way or another for sure, but historically in our world plants were used to heal wounds for their antiseptic qualities so it doesn't seem like much of a stretch. Especially in  a world where it's not unheard of to rub fecal matter on weapons in order to cause infection. This has been established in the story.

As for Rhaego, Dany starts experiencing extreme pain and early labor before entering the tent.

Yeah, I said that. Thanks for making it clear you didn't actually read my post before posting your rant that ignored most of what I said. Early labor can be induced by stress, falling, a hit to the stomach it doesn't require magic. Dany going into labor is in no way proof of Mirri doing anything deliberately to harm the baby. We don't know if the baby's death was caused by entering the tent, or something deliberate. There is no proof. Our strongest indicator was that Mirri warned her of the danger of entering the tent, before anything happened, and Jorah took her into the tent. If she wanted to kill the baby, and didn't care about the consequences she would have just let Dany stay in the tent with her. Why all the warnings, and precautions if she didn't give a crap what happened? Her motive is likely to get to be a healer in a temple again, that requires self preservation. She may have gotten to view Dany as not an evil slave trader on the trip and thought if she saved Drogo that Dany may free her, and felt that Dany had the power to sway Drogo into doing this. Are you now going to argue that her believing Dany would free a slave is unrealistic? That Dany swaying Drogo and gaining agency through her arc is not what we've seen? Are you really going to argue that Dany is only facing evil cliche villains in her arc? Is this really the case you want to make?

Why does Dany and Mirri not understanding the other offend you? Dany still believes the same thing, it doesn't change her motives, or change the right or wrongness of her actions based on what she believes to be true. All it does is indicate that you want Dany to only go up against cliche evil villains and have no grey area in her arc. She's 13, that age is geared to be self involved as that is the developmental stage they are in, where they assert their independence from their family and assert themselves as separate people, this is a narcissistic age in general, and all the kids in the story have been portrayed this way at this age, not just Dany. It's not a character flaw, it's just a realistic portrayal of a 13 year old. Dany not understanding an adult woman's perspective and viewing things from her own perspective alone is realistic. Dany being 100% right all the time in judging other peoples motives is not. Are you saying GRRM is a bad enough writer to create Dany as perfect at understanding the motives of a woman like Mirri? 'cause not even considering that Mirri may not be a vile baby killing monster kinda indicates that. You can believe revenge is more likely, but their is no proof. So it's not a fact. 

I'd rather read about complex characters with conflicting motives and misunderstandings based on false beliefs the characters posses. But to each their own. I think evil Mirri would cheapen the story. Just like I think Mirri the 100% innocent victim would cheapen the story. I think Dany understanding everything from book one eliminates her need to have a character arc making her a Mary Sue. I think not seeing others perspective as a 13 year old is realistic, and her learning to do that over time and realizing she made mistakes would be a strong arc as learning about other perspectives, and understanding the needs of others makes for a strong leader.  

21 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Why does someone have to be wrong? 

Its a matter of perspective, everyone has their own. People are the heroes of their own story. 

This, this is what I think happened in world.

Really, each person interprets it differently, Mirri killed Drogo and didn’t kill the baby, she didn’t kill either of them and was just a victim, she killed the baby and really tried to cure Drogo. Dany's baby died because she entered the tent, the baby died because MMD exchanged his life for Drogo's, he died because Dany sacrificed his life to hatch the dragons. This discussion never ends. 

Exactly, because there is no way to know for sure. I just wanted to point out that a middle ground was possible. But some people on here seem to care more about being right than correct. Without being in her head we can't know her motives, we can only guess and speculate. I just find Dany the savior who was wronged by evil Mirri, or Poor Mirri the helpless victim of Dany's lust for power to be the most unlikely and boring options!

10 hours ago, Azarial said:

I can see why people believe this. But, she didn't get punished for it. And she was simply stating to Dany that she was still a slave, making it clear that she didn't feel she had been saved by Dany. Dany didn't understand, she's young I wouldn't expect her to. But I think Mirri would be wise enough to know that healers and other slaves of value are treated better than other slaves. So healing him is in her best interest. And Dany claimed those woman from the men in the Khalazar, and they let her take them, then went to Drogo who backed her. Dany had men she could order to step in and ensure her orders were carried out. So what if her power comes from Drogo? She still, as far as an outsider would observe, has more power than those men. And I didn't say she was scared here, I said she was aware that she was going to be killed when he became a vegetable, and the baby died. You are twisting things and it's disingenuous to debate that way. 

Mirri would be wise enough to know that the Dothraki mistrust maegi. It was a great risk revealing herself to be one... and for what? To help the people who destroyed her temple and raped and killed her people?

You need to figure out whether you want Mirri to be wise and cunning or a wide eyed dumb-dumb who can't see the situation for what it is. If she's as observant as you portray here, then she'd also be smart enough to see that Dany was claiming all the rape victims. She'd be able work out from the exchange between Dany, Qotho, and Drogo that Dany was trying to stop the rapes, and that her power was limited. The difference in between how the Dothraki treat her and how Dany treat her would be clear.

There's nothing in the text to suggest the problem was a misunderstanding or a difference in pov. Mirri herself acknowledges Dany's good intentions and treatment ("you do not ask a slave" / “So you have saved me once more.”). But to her it doesn't matter because it was too little too late.

“Saved me?” The Lhazareen woman spat. “Three riders had taken me, not as a man takes a woman but from behind, as a dog takes a bitch. The fourth was in me when you rode past. How then did you save me? I saw my god’s house burn, where I had healed good men beyond counting. My home they burned as well, and in the street I saw piles of heads. I saw the head of a baker who made my bread. I saw the head of a boy I had saved from deadeye fever, only three moons past. I heard children crying as the riders drove them off with their whips. Tell me again what you saved.”
“Your life.”
Mirri Maz Duur laughed cruelly. “Look to your khal and see what life is worth, when all the rest is gone.”

11 hours ago, Azarial said:

We don't know enough about her methods to know one way or another for sure, but historically in our world plants were used to heal wounds for their antiseptic qualities so it doesn't seem like much of a stretch. Especially in  a world where it's not unheard of to rub fecal matter on weapons in order to cause infection. This has been established in the story.

Some plants have antiseptic qualities, sure, but we usually either ingest them or use them topically. Stuffing herbs inside a wound and sewing it in doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Nor does covering wounds with wet leaves. As I mentioned, Dothraki healing methods seemed to work just fine, seeing as Cohollo healed without issues.

I wouldn't have found this suspicious, alone. But given the context...

12 hours ago, Azarial said:

We don't know if the baby's death was caused by entering the tent, or something deliberate. There is no proof.

The baby kicking furiously sounded like something was wrong to me, since most babies will calm down right before labor. It's not unheard of, ofc, but it's a less common phenomena that's been highlighted, so I assume we're meant to pay attention it. Again, that alone wouldn't be noteworthy, but it does reinforce the idea that Rhaego was always intended to be a sacrifice, as implied here:

“You warned me that only death could pay for life. I thought you meant the horse.”
“No,” Mirri Maz Duur said. “That was a lie you told yourself. You knew the price.”

13 hours ago, Azarial said:

Why does Dany and Mirri not understanding the other offend you?

Why does my having a different interpretation offend you?

If you think Mirri purposefully killing Drogo and Rhaego makes her a cliche evil villain, that's your problem. I made no such judgement.

Archived