US Politics: Ruthless ambition

Kalbear

continue. 

And it is hard to emigrate, but I am fortunate in that I'm in a really high demand career. We almost did move in 2017 but the sticker was the cancer care costs for our adult son who wouldn't be covered. We might have to just roll the dice this time. 

I'm of a mind to go back and look for those little Italian and Spanish country towns that are offering a free house if you just come and live and work. My job does pretty well remotely and we have a ton of European clients, and I assume Mrs Gabriel, as a midwife, has a pretty portable career...

Mr. X and I could reasonably relocate -- we've looked into this before and we both have in-demand jobs. With a little practice, I am advanced-proficient or fluent in two non-English languages and I'm working on a third. But...unless I'm legitimately in danger of dying, I will be sticking it out here. There are a LOT of people -- especially queer and transgender people of color -- who will need support and who do not have the ability to leave.

54 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Ok. I guess I’ve gained a few pounds of fat and lost a couple of muscle (I’m 135 lbs now). I’m not in as good as shape. My left knee is getting tweaky. 

Meh.

Combat ready!

At least you're not a smoker.  I'll fight for about thirty seconds before a major coughing fit get me shot.

40 minutes ago, Triskele said:

If you guys never go to any of the right wing sites to see what's being said you're doing yourself a disservice.

I agree with the principle of understanding your enemy, but I really don't think this statement is true.  At all.

Anywho, Kal, the term is Ruthless Aggression:

1 minute ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I am thinking the same thing.  I need to be here for the people who need support and can't leave.

Yep.  I've stuck with the Orlando Magic for a quarter century of shit.  Least I can do is stick with my country's people.

I actually have had semi-loose plans to emigrate eventually--not because of this, but because I'm in an international relationship and he's closer with his family and friends there than I am mine, and we both prefer the weather there. This all is helping me feel better about that potential path, though. But still, it's one thing to talk of fleeing, but there are close to half a billion people in the USA. Not everyone can flee.

54 minutes ago, Triskele said:

If you guys never go to any of the right wing sites to see what's being said you're doing yourself a disservice.

https://townhall.com/columnists/wayneallynroot/2020/09/20/get-ready-for-president-kamala-harris-and-vice-president-nancy-pelosi-n2576500

That's...wow I can almost see the froth at the mouth.

What's funny is that I've lived in both places they use as bogeymen (California and Chicago), and I have absolutely loved them both. Far more than my time in small towns or the south.

3 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

It’s almost like “is emigration really worth it” given the US taxation laws, alone.

From some perspectives, other places might be better. 

I worked with a lot of former doctors who had to become dishwashers in the US to literally escape death at home in Honduras or wherever.

We aren’t there, yet.

Far from it.

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

If the election gets to SCOTUS but it's a 4-4 vote wtf happens?

Whatever whatever that specific circuit court had decided would stand.  But that's assuming Roberts would side with the libs.

Archived