US Politics: Ruthless ambition

Kalbear

If this has been done already, I apologise - thread moves too quickly for me to keep up.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-rambles-about-good-genes-and-racehorse-theory-at-minnesota-campaign-rally

Trump tells Trump supporters that they are genetically superior.
I seem to remember another far-right leader going down this path...

The Consumer Energy Alliance did a survey of the Gulf states about political preferences on drilling, etc, as well as politics.  Some interesting results, don't know how seriously I should take them (or The Tyson Group who conducted them).

Florida:  Biden +2 (exactly on polling average)

Texas:  Biden +4 (First poll I've ever seen of both Texas and Florida that has TX to the left of FL).

Alabama:  Trump +4 (Horrible result for Trump, he won Alabama by 28 points)

Probably doesn't mean anything, it's just one poll from a relatively unknown pollster.  Still, the Texas/Florida thing is interesting.  It would be pretty crazy and IMO quite possible if Georgia and Texas gradually moved toward Purple and then Blue status, while Florida just kept solid as an R+4 state, just like always.

It's probably just me, but - while I am mourning the loss of Ginsberg and think that McConnell probably will fill her seat - I'm not seeing the doom and gloom where it comes to the election.

Yes, this will bolster some wavering Christians to vote for Trump. But it'll also convince some people thinking about voting 3rd party to vote Democrat to save Roe. Obamacare was a huge GOTV for Democrats in 2018, so they should stop fucking crying about what a meanie McConnell is, and start fucking reminding people that Republicans are trying to overturn Obamacare AND Roe v. Wade. Stop ceding the goddamn fucking terms of EVERY conversation to Republicans. People don't fucking care about hypocrisy, they DO fucking care about what you're going to do for them.

Democrats need to be shouting at every goddamn microphone they can find that it doesn't fucking matter what seditious traitors like Trump and McConnell do, they will save R v. W and Obamacare, whatever it fucking takes.

4 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

If this has been done already, I apologise - thread moves too quickly for me to keep up.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-rambles-about-good-genes-and-racehorse-theory-at-minnesota-campaign-rally

Trump tells Trump supporters that they are genetically superior.
I seem to remember another far-right leader going down this path...

Trump has always believed in eugenics, with him coming from a superior genetic pool. That is really not something particularly new. It's also always been deeply ironic coming from a guy, whose tremendous genes have produced: Don Jr., Ivanka and Eric. I mean, that guy called his German blood the good stuff.

On a general note, I find it admirable how you, my fellow boarders, finally got into the Weimar theme I picked for the last thread title. However, I have to chide @DMC there, or rather make short correction.

He claimed he'd only leave, if and when the brown shirt came for him. Which, as had been pointed out, would be a bit too late, but also. We're talking America, those guys won't be wearing brown shirts, not even brown polo shirts. The correct wording would've been, when the red hats come for him.

11 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Georgia has already moved purple. Lucy McBath (D) won House District 6, which was NEWT G'S district.

Parts of Georgia, certainly.  The State overall still seems to be leaning Republican to the tune of ~7 points at the moment, which is why Biden and Trump are neck and neck.  If that were to fall to R+2 or less, then it's a truly purple state and it will be at the very center of the 2024 election, where states like PA, WI and AZ are now. 

1 minute ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

That, and respecting our troops. 

Was it *just last week* that the hue and cry occurred over the current president calling our troops "losers" and "suckers"? That does not play well in GA (home of Ft. Benning).

Exactly; like I wrote the night she died: Trump is still the weakest candidate running for a 2nd term in a generation. That hasn't changed.

He can't keep from sabotaging himself. That hasn't changed. Like you said, he called POWs and KIAs "suckers".

I can't believe that somehow *I've* turned into the optimist, but I think McConnell has been jammed up by this even harder than Democrats. Yes, he said there will be a vote, but he also told his caucus to "keep their powder dry". I'm not even sure if he knows yet exactly what he's going to do, because he's not even assured of the votes yet.

The fact that Tillis and Perdue have already come out in support tells me they're desperate. Fundraising for Dems is through the roof; it'll be interesting to see if Republican fundraising totals keep pace. 

This election isn't over, and Democrats goddamn well better start figuring out how to wield power without always fucking apologizing for it.

Our grandparents crossed two oceans to fight fascism, so the least we can do is make some phone calls and bug the shit out of our friends and neighbors to GOTV. Some of us can donate.

Some of us can organize to provide protection against fascists showing up to intimidate voters in certain areas. It is already happening, so we need to start showing up to fucking PROTECT those voters, if we can.

Oh, and guess what ELSE Democrats can hit Trump and Republicans on? If they're focusing on a SC nominee, there for damn sure isn't any stimulus getting done. Anyone check out Wall Street today? Down 2.5-3.0% across the board.

"We care more about taking away reproductive choices from women AND taking away health insurance from YOU, during a pandemic, than we do about making sure your kids can eat during a pandemic/recession." How will THAT play to a swing voter 6 weeks out from an election?

13 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Oh, and guess what ELSE Democrats can hit Trump and Republicans on? If they're focusing on a SC nominee, there for damn sure isn't any stimulus getting done. Anyone check out Wall Street today? Down 2.5-3.0% across the board.

"We care more about taking away reproductive choices from women AND taking away health insurance from YOU, during a pandemic, than we do about making sure your kids can eat during a pandemic/recession." How will THAT play to a swing voter 6 weeks out from an election?

Abortion is a dog whistle.  One more SC judge and they'll consolidate power over the court to the point where they can shut down any attempts to counter Trump with the law.   

Democracy was nice while it lasted.  Say hello to permanent minority rule by geography.

7 minutes ago, argonak said:

Abortion is a dog whistle.  One more SC judge and they'll consolidate power over the court to the point where they can shut down any attempts to counter Trump with the law.   

Democracy was nice while it lasted.  Say hello to permanent minority rule by geography.

We are absolutely at the precipice right now; that attitude will ensure we tumble over without as much as a fight. I don't even know if you're from the U.S., but it really shouldn't matter. Fascism has taken root too deeply around the world. America, this November, is a critical battleground in the fight against fascism.

42 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I don’t think the flip of District 6 can be overstated. This isn’t located in some blue bastion, as geographically close to Atlanta as it is. A Republican has won the district since 1979. Newt Gingrich represented it for 20 years.

in 2016, Trump only got 48% of their vote; however, the margins were so comfortable for R’s previously as to be in the 60-70% range. 

This is the epitome of the suburban voter 2018 blue wave - mostly from white suburban women appalled by Trump.

Stacey Abrams won this district by 51% in 2018. 

Yes, it’s one district and not all of GA, but it’s fairly representative of suburban GA communities, which had been deep red for so long.

GA-6 is a perfect example of the shift that has occurred in American politics of educated white suburban voters moving towards Democrats.  That shift was visible in 2016, and even more obvious in 2018.  But Trump won in 2016 because he was able to win over many working class white voters that had previously voted Democratic, which made up the difference.  And that shift is also occurring in Georgia.  There were plenty of other counties where Trump blew past Romney's numbers, like Peach county, which shifted 11 points more Republican in 2016. 

On the whole, the state is moving towards Democrats.  It was R+12 in 2012, and went down to R+7 in 2016.  However, polling makes it look like it's still about R+7, because Biden is leading by 7 points nationally, and Georgia looks like a tie race (or possibly Trump +1).  Now, hopefully the polls are underestimating Democrats, and perhaps Biden wins nationally by 7 points but wins Georgia by 3.  I would be over the moon about that.  But at the moment, the state still looks like a fairly reddish-purple, which is why it isn't getting the same amount of attention as FL and NC. 

Oooh - the DoJ is inventing new terms (I think) and have declared New York, Seattle and Portland “anarchist cities” where law and order is not being enforced and they are going to cut off federal funding to those cities.

This all sounds like some kind of unconstitutional bullshit to me, but boy oh boy, the Republicans are bound and determined to alienate huge swaths of the public, aren’t they?

On the polling note, Biden has been receiving some modest poll numbers (both the USC/Dornsife and a new IBD/TIPP have him in the vicinity of ~6 rather than higher) bringing his average to ~6.8. I do note that the USC numbers are going back up, so I think he may recover a little bit of that in a while. I imagine this ending up being a +6 race around election time.

Archived