US Politics: Ruthless ambition

Kalbear

48 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Its unclear to me what 65 million people will do when it comes out that the election has been stolen from them. At the same time, I'm not sure what 60 million people would do if they feel they won the election.

I'm guess mostly nothing, but if Biden is up by ~7 points come election day, I'll be ready to march to DC if he isnt granted the win. It would be quite something to have a million people descend on the White House and Capitol Hill (although not sure what response the police would choose).

Edit: A million isnt that much, maybe we need a lot more (the Million Man march didnt change much, as far as I recall)

I think that the chances of Biden being up at least 6 points on election day are looking very good.  Now, whether that will translate into a win...who knows.  There's gonna be plenty of marching post-election virtually no matter what. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

I think that the chances of Biden being up at least 6 points of election day are looking very good.  Now, whether that will translate into a win...who knows.  There's gonna be plenty of marching post-election virtually no matter what. 

I really hope it's just marching if Biden wins

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Its unclear to me what 65 million people will do when it comes out that the election has been stolen from them. At the same time, I'm not sure what 60 million people would do if they feel they won the election.

I'm guess mostly nothing, but if Biden is up by ~7 points come election day, I'll be ready to march to DC if he isnt granted the win. It would be quite something to have a million people descend on the White House and Capitol Hill (although not sure what response the police would choose).

Edit: A million isnt that much, maybe we need a lot more (the Million Man march didnt change much, as far as I recall)

You need 40 million and a general strike.

Another topic -- a friend who is doing a Biden phone bank outreach to local voters remains baffled how anyone at this point can be 'undecided.'

16 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You need 40 million and a general strike.

Another topic -- a friend who is doing a Biden phone bank outreach to local voters remains baffled how anyone at this point can be 'undecided.'

I've spoken to a couple of those myself while phone banking.  One guy seemed very unhappy about Biden's vote for the Iraq War and praised Trump's trade policies.  But he also really disliked Trump generally and supported universal health care.  I initially thought he was a disaffected Sanders supporter, but he said he never supported anyone in the primary and didn't seem to have strong feelings about Bernie.  In the end I gave him a few things he seemed to think about, but on the whole I was left a little disappointed that I wasn't able to reach him further. 

Nonetheless, it was very strange talking to a true "swing voter". 

26 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I've spoken to a couple of those myself while phone banking.  One guy seemed very unhappy about Biden's vote for the Iraq War and praised Trump's trade policies.  But he also really disliked Trump generally and supported universal health care.  I initially thought he was a disaffected Sanders supporter, but he said he never supported anyone in the primary and didn't seem to have strong feelings about Bernie.  In the end I gave him a few things he seemed to think about, but on the whole I was left a little disappointed that I wasn't able to reach him further. 

Nonetheless, it was very strange talking to a true "swing voter". 

What’s more rare, a true swing voter or a fan of the Washington Football Team who approves of Dan Snyder?

Also, according to this early voting tracker, 780k people have already voted, accounting for ~10% of the 2016 statewide vote in SD and 5% in NC, VA and WI. 

Democrats seem more intent on returning their absentee ballots quickly than Republicans are (in previous elections, Democrats were more likely to procrastinate).  In North Carolina, Democrats have requested far more ballots, but of those requested, Democrats have returned 23%, whereas Republicans are at just 19%.  Read into that what you will. 

14 hours ago, ants said:

Obviously this doesn't play well outside his base, but we've clearly seen Trump's focus is on his base.  

I think they are trying to get their favorability numbers on healthcare up.  A lot of polling has shown for a long time that the american public trust them Dems much more on this topic. 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Also, according to this early voting tracker, 780k people have already voted, accounting for ~10% of the 2016 statewide vote in SD and 5% in NC, VA and WI. 

Democrats seem more intent on returning their absentee ballots quickly than Republicans are (in previous elections, Democrats were more likely to procrastinate).  In North Carolina, Democrats have requested far more ballots, but of those requested, Democrats have returned 23%, whereas Republicans are at just 19%.  Read into that what you will. 

Would be pretty glorious if Trumps fear mongering over mail in ballots backfired. Just speaking for myself I got my vote in there ASAP, though we did do it in person. At least in Virginia there is so much time between when early voting started and the election, there’s really no excuse not to get it done. Unless you are REALLY immune compromised if you can kinda go at a random time it probably won’t be crowded - and plenty of time to try again if it is. Also so many people are working from home, so combine being able to pop over to the polling place whenever during the day and early voting.. get out there Dems.

We may do early voting too -- which we never had here before covid.  Our mail in ballots still haven't arrived in the mail though I mailed the request for them a the post office, with the filled out census forms.

10 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Yeah, I was planning on voting on the day like I normally do, flirted with absentee, but now I'm just going to early vote in person as soon as I can (next week). I want my vote to be reflected on election night.

I'm planning to vote early in person for the first time in my life. I plan to do it during the first week one can in Nebraska but not the very first day, as my guess is the lines will be longer that day. 

I voted by mail in the primary but at the moment don't trust the post office -- and that's more because over the last two months I have had two boxes of items I bought which never made it to me and were declared "dead mail" so the merchant had to refund my money. So recent bad personal postal experience is going to get me to risk voting early in person. :)

what the heck.  Might as well jump into the 'mail in voting' mess.  Can't say a great deal - got read the riot act at work a few times over the past month or so, but...

Folks on my route are heavily conservative - and mostly 'social security age.'  Used to be about 95% hard right, now it's more like 75%.  They're also dying in droves as well.  About a third are snowbirds - spend the summer here, and the winter someplace else.  That said...

Absentee Ballots.  Been running the route through several elections.  Always collected some absentee ballots, no big deal - couple dozen maybe.  This year, it's more - many more, wouldn't be surprised if a hundred or more folks on the route voted that way (out of 400+).  Which got me to wondering...

yes, the people I talk to on the route mostly parrot Trump on the mail in voting thing, regarding it as wide open for fraud.  Despite this, no small number of these people are voting through the mail.  So...

If this reflects a larger trend, then I can see a situation in a couple states (no idea which ones) where the tally on Election Night would indicate Biden being the winner, but also showing Trump gaining with the mail in ballots, with enough of those for a nail biter.  Could almost see Trump reversing course on the whole mail in ballot thing - just for those states - while loudly insisting that mail in ballots are fraud elsewhere (that being the states where those are in favor of Biden)

Really, mail balloting is so incredibly awesome that you'll wonder why everywhere doesn't do it. It's cheaper, it's easier, it drastically increases turnout in every single election, it has a paper trail. 

The people who are against it are the people who suffered in line and want others to suffer in line because that's the way it should be. 

Archived