Jump to content
WeirwoodsAREHrangans

Mance Rayder = "Magic Raider"

Recommended Posts

Everyone always focuses on Mance's last name, but what about his first name?

To me, I've always been reminded of "necroMANCEr" whenever I read about Mance. This would also make sense in multiple ways as his story is connected to the Others/wights. 

Could there be another hidden meaning behind his name though, that is meant to be a little clue as to his future? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to be reaching a bit hard to me. I guess that could accurately describe what he's doing with the glamor and the Arya rescue mission. Though sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and sometimes a guy named Mance is just a guy named Mance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Seems to be reaching a bit hard to me. I guess that could accurately describe what he's doing with the glamor and the Arya rescue mission. Though sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and sometimes a guy named Mance is just a guy named Mance. 

Or the Tarbeck baby who was rumored to have become a bard in some faraway place.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-Mance- refers to magic in general depending. PyroMANCEr as a practitioner of fire magic for example.

I do think the name is intentional but I'm not sure to what ends. I'm looking to the Rhaegar/Targ symbols around Mance first. That Mance might knowingly or unknowingly be taking up Rhaegar's mystery mission would be my first guess, so something to do with fire magic. That would be a bit weird as Mel sacrificed "Mance" in fire but ended up saving him.

:dunno:

 

7 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Or the Tarbeck baby who was rumored to have become a bard in some faraway place.  

Wait, which one was that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lollygag said:

-Mance- refers to magic in general depending. PyroMANCEr as a practitioner of fire magic for example.

I do think the name is intentional but I'm not sure to what ends. I'm looking to the Rhaegar/Targ symbols around Mance first. That Mance might knowingly or unknowingly be taking up Rhaegar's mystery mission would be my first guess, so something to do with fire magic. That would be a bit weird as Mel sacrificed "Mance" in fire but ended up saving him.

:dunno:

 

Wait, which one was that?

The only survivor of the Tarbeck & Reyne cleansing.  This is off the top of my head, so fact check it, but there was a 3 year-old boy (a Tarbeck), who escaped or was taken away.   He became a bard I want to say in Essos, but there are plenty of places far away from The Westerlands in Westeros.  IIRC, Mance is the right age.   And I was just having a little fun bringing it up, but if you have a bone in this I would love to read it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

The only survivor of the Tarbeck & Reyne cleansing.  This is off the top of my head, so fact check it, but there was a 3 year-old boy (a Tarbeck), who escaped or was taken away.   He became a bard I want to say in Essos, but there are plenty of places far away from The Westerlands in Westeros.  IIRC, Mance is the right age.   And I was just having a little fun bringing it up, but if you have a bone in this I would love to read it.  

The grandson of Ellyn Reyne through her daughter Rohanne.

Ellyn was rumored to be into magic and name usage in the Maggy the Frog/Spicer/Westerlings strongly point to some relation to the Reynes so more magic. (My crackpot that I can't prove at all is that Maggy the Frog is Ellyn Reyne but whatevs). There's only 3 Robbs in the story and one is Robb Reyne. If Robb married into what's left of the Reynes, he died to The Rains of Castamere. Rolph Spicer was granted Castamere meaning what's left of the Reynes hold it again if I'm correct.

Will have to chew on that possibility a bit and look for clues on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

The grandson of Ellyn Reyne through her daughter Rohanne.

Ellyn was rumored to be into magic and name usage in the Maggy the Frog/Spicer/Westerlings strongly point to some relation to the Reynes so more magic. (My crackpot that I can't prove at all is that Maggy the Frog is Ellyn Reyne but whatevs). There's only 3 Robbs in the story and one is Robb Reyne. If Robb married into what's left of the Reynes, he died to The Rains of Castamere. Rolph Spicer was granted Castamere meaning what's left of the Reynes hold it again if I'm correct.

Will have to chew on that possibility a bit and look for clues on that.

This is what I get for being a wiseguy.   I think you've found something interesting.   Good on you.   We are waiting for the topic!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

This is what I get for being a wiseguy.   I think you've found something interesting.   Good on you.   We are waiting for the topic!  

Eh, probably won't happen. Not rereading the books unless TWOW gets announced so won't be checking out Mance to see if it fits and nothing but the name and far away bard work as best as I can recall though it's a fun idea to play with.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the raider thing - for no reason at all, I associate Rayder with Raiders of the Lost Ark (of the Covenant) sounds a bit like the Pact with the CotF. Maybe he's looking for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lollygag said:

Eh, probably won't happen. Not rereading the books unless TWOW gets announced so won't be checking out Mance to see if it fits and nothing but the name and far away bard work as best as I can recall though it's a fun idea to play with.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the raider thing - for no reason at all, I associate Rayder with Raiders of the Lost Ark (of the Covenant) sounds a bit like the Pact with the CotF. Maybe he's looking for that.

That Mance=Tarbeck idea isn't mine, but an old friend of mine came up with it years ago.   I'm sure I've seen it here somewhere, but can't recall when.  Don't blame you for not rereading AGAIN until you get some more stuff to chew on.  All my associations with Mance are in character classifications.  Bard is the 1st listed!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he was certainty magical when meli disguised him as lord of bones when stannis wanted to burn Mance. she saved him through those means, indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The letters of "Mance Rayder" can be rearranged to spell "Darry menace" ... Hmmm, doesn't seem helpful.  Back to the drawing board... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...