NBA Playoffs 2020: Mamba Out

Rhom

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I want to agree with you, but everyone thought they were lottery bound last year too... and then they are solidly in the playoffs. :dunno: 

Before all the trade dust settles, I believe I heard they have 16 first rounders over the next six or seven drafts, plus a number of swaps, and many of those could materialize when a few franchises go South. That's not a bad set up for a rebuild. 

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I want to agree with you, but everyone thought they were lottery bound last year too... and then they are solidly in the playoffs. :dunno: 

True, but they are going further this time. Its not the same. We'll see if they trade Gallinari too. Or maybe they just let him walk.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Before all the trade dust settles, I believe I heard they have 16 first rounders over the next six or seven drafts, plus a number of swaps, and many of those could materialize when a few franchises go South. That's not a bad set up for a rebuild. 

That's probably what Philly had as well. They get more chances at the plate, but it doesn't matter if they swing and miss. They could package some of them to move up a few spots to get a better look too. Their clock is ticking though. They need to get their picks in time for SGA's prime unless they land a new franchise player.

I don't think they'll hit Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka again no matter how many draft picks they get though. They have more chances, but its not something you can do with just quantity. There's GS with Steph, Klay, Barnes and Draymond and there's Philly with Embiid, Simmons, and who? Noels? Fultz? Okafor? 

15 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Not gonna lie, when I Googled her before that was the first thing I found too, but why did he not opt for a better wig? He's got a good hairline, but man that pic is not flattering. 

5 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

That's probably what Philly had as well. They get more chances at the plate, but it doesn't matter if they swing and miss. They could package some of them to move up a few spots to get a better look too. Their clock is ticking though. They need to get their picks in time for SGA's prime unless they land a new franchise player.

Why build around him? 

I don't think they'll hit Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka again no matter how many draft picks they get though. They have more chances, but its not something you can do with just quantity. There's GS with Steph, Klay, Barnes and Draymond and there's Philly with Embiid, Simmons, and who? Noels? Fultz? Okafor? 

When has a team drafted three MVPs and another All-star in three consecutive drafts? That just doesn't happen. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why build around him? 

He's the best player they have currently? Unless you mean to trade him for more assets, he's the only proven quantity from the team aside from Adams who while solid, isn't exactly a star. And old(er) to boot. I think Gallinari is definitely gone one way or the other too.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why build around him? 

When has a team drafted three MVPs and another All-star in three consecutive drafts? That just doesn't happen. 

I don't know the timeline, but clearly Seattle-OKC did?

2 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

He's the best player they have currently? Unless you mean to trade him for more assets, he's the only proven quantity from the team aside from Adams who while solid, isn't exactly a star. And old(er) to boot. I think Gallinari is definitely gone one way or the other too.

You don't build around a player that's proven quality, you make him your third or fourth guy. Which is also what Adams is at his best. And yeah, Gillinari will be traded at some point this year, assuming a somewhat normal season happens (still a big if). 

I don't know the timeline, but clearly Seattle-OKC did?

Well clearly not. They got cheap with Harden and the team never realized their potential. Great drafting, poor execution. 

You don't build around a player that's proven quality, you make him your third or fourth guy. Which is also what Adams is at his best. And yeah, Gillinari will be traded at some point this year, assuming a somewhat normal season happens (still a big if). 

He's a second-year player that projects well. It's not like he's already hit his ceiling. Is that the lesson you learnt from Wiggins? If he isn't instantly an all-star you dump him?

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well clearly not. They got cheap with Harden and the team never realized their potential. Great drafting, poor execution. 

They clearly did since we're talking about drafting.

1 minute ago, Proudfeet said:

He's a second-year player that projects well. It's not like he's already hit his ceiling. Is that the lesson you learnt from Wiggins? If he isn't instantly an all-star you dump him?

Not saying he's bad, but that's not the guy you build around to develop a contender. 

They clearly did since we're talking about drafting.

So you're saying he's like drafting around KD, one of the 25 best players ever? Okay...

Not saying he's bad, but that's not the guy you build around to develop a contender. 

Obviously, if you get someone better, you pivot to the other guy. But as it stands, he's the only player that is proven, young and promising. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So you're saying he's like drafting around KD, one of the 25 best players ever? Okay...

I have no idea what you're talking about. Who is he? SGA? I'm talking about the probability of hitting on draft picks. It's a separate matter. There are the success stories as with OKC and GS and there's the not so successful story of Philly.

And it's a shift in goal posts from your claim of three MVPs and an All-Star. Are we moving from penalty kicks to field goals now? Remind me never to humour your tangents ever. I keep forgetting.

__

What is Boston doing? They drafted 3 guards and a SF? Are they trading someone? Is it a best player available thing?

2 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

What is Boston doing? They drafted 3 guards and a SF? Are they trading someone? Is it a best player available thing?

In order of picks, looks like bench scoring, a backup PG since Wannamaker will probably leave, and another PG to stash in development.

There's also been lots of speculation that they'll move Hayward. He and the team agreed to postpone his opt-in deadline to after the draft.

43 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

In order of picks, looks like bench scoring, a backup PG since Wannamaker will probably leave, and another PG to stash in development.

There's also been lots of speculation that they'll move Hayward. He and the team agreed to postpone his opt-in deadline to after the draft.

Ah. I didn't think it was a position of need with or without Wannamaker, but it depends on who/what they get for Hayward. I figured they had to strengthen the frontcourt as it was basically just Theis last playoffs. The rest of the bench were just there to fill minutes while Brown played as the main forward with Theis at center. It didn't feel like any of them were rotation pieces. I thought that Kanter would be able to trade points effectively even if he couldn't defend though just based off his reputation. He didn't seem to do too poorly previously in Portland.

Has stashing players ever worked? Maybe its because its just not highlighted, but I can't think of any aside from Rubio and that's more because they didn't want to pay the buyout rather than letting him develop overseas.

Was expecting more trades and events during this draft. All this talk of Boston and other teams moving up, not much happened.

Top 3 all seem to be very good fits with the teams they went to. Ball to Charlotte would presumably mean they are not trading for Westbrook.

Think GS will keep Wiseman.They are also going to use the midlevel exception. But with Klay out, if that is the case, what a huge blow for them.

I think the Wizards might have gotten a very good deal here with Avdija at no. 9 , he looks promising and was projected top 5 pick. Reminds me of Dario Saric, who I still like a lot after a few years.

Detroit select Hayes as their PG, another potential Westbrook candidate gone.

I wonder whats gonna happen with Bogdanovic now, apparently he is interested in the Bucks and has been talking with Giannis but he wants to see what he can get?

As for the other trades, I was confused by Rubio to the T-Wolves but maybe they think the starting lineup could be Rubio, Russell at 2 and Edwards at 3? Could be. Rubio is too good to be a backup at the T-Wolves.

Richardson to Dallas and Seth Curry to Sixers, thats two shooters now for Morey with Danny Green in as well for Horford.

6 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Who is he? SGA? I'm talking about the probability of hitting on draft picks. It's a separate matter. There are the success stories as with OKC and GS and there's the not so successful story of Philly.

And it's a shift in goal posts from your claim of three MVPs and an All-Star. Are we moving from penalty kicks to field goals now? Remind me never to humour your tangents ever. I keep forgetting.

You're the one who compared this to drafting Durant, Westbrook and Harden in consecutive drafts. The results of that are an extreme statistical outlier. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

You're the one who compared this to drafting Durant, Westbrook and Harden in consecutive drafts. The results of that are an extreme statistical outlier. 

Yeah, no I didn't. What I said was that they aren't going to do it again. Or did you miss the parts on GS and Philly? Did they have three MVPs and an All-Star too? I must have missed it.

Also, they literally did the first time round. A statistical outlier means it happened.

Here's what you said.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The first post, fine, whatever. Its a matter of expression. But nobody asked you to double down on it and I still don't get your relating it to SGA or SGA to KD after.

All I'm saying is that you have SGA, could be an all-star after this batch of thirty year olds get too old, but the longer you wait, he gets more expensive and well, old. Having draft picks put you in a good position but its also far from reliable. More picks doesn't mean better picks. GS managed with less, Philly didn't with more. If they get a franchise player, the clock resets to that player but in the meantime SGA is it. And even if they do draft a better player, unless they play the same position, having SGA is easier than having to hit on yet another draft pick.

I don't know what you're being pissy about really. Its nothing controversial unless you think SGA doesn't have that ceiling. In which case, you're starting from zero but the same thing still applies to the draft.

Ah. I didn't think it was a position of need with or without Wannamaker, but it depends on who/what they get for Hayward. I figured they had to strengthen the frontcourt as it was basically just Theis last playoffs. The rest of the bench were just there to fill minutes while Brown played as the main forward with Theis at center. It didn't feel like any of them were rotation pieces. I thought that Kanter would be able to trade points effectively even if he couldn't defend though just based off his reputation. He didn't seem to do too poorly previously in Portland.

I am surprised there wasn't more effort to get a center, but all the reports said they were trying to trade up but people weren't biting. Maybe they calculated none of the centers available would be able to contribute soon, or maybe they could pick up a serviceable center with the midlevel exemption. They are also still developing Robert Williams and seemed to find some success with Grant Williams and even Marcus Smart playing some minutes at the 5. I don't know anything about college players but all the analysis says Nesmith, the #14 pick, was one of the best shooters in the draft and they definitely need someone coming off the bench who can make a jumper. 

Has stashing players ever worked? Maybe its because its just not highlighted, but I can't think of any aside from Rubio and that's more because they didn't want to pay the buyout rather than letting him develop overseas.

I mean, the guy they're stashing was the 47th pick. The Celtics' pipeline is already chock full of sorta-promising young guys. Not much space for anyone else.

7 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Valanciunas worked for Toronto. But again same thing with Rubio where they just didnt want to buy out his contract.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Klay tore his Achilles.

Hate that for him.  Right Achilles, Left ACL.

While I know a big part of his game is moving without the ball, I will say he’s also the dude who famously scored 50 in a game without dribbling more than like four times or some such.  If anyone in the league is built to become a stand a shoot guy, it’s him.

Also makes you think back on that time he missed on being All NBA by just a couple votes and therefore ineligible for the SuperMax deal.

Archived