NBA Playoffs 2020: Mamba Out

Rhom

50 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Hate that for him.  Right Achilles, Left ACL.

While I know a big part of his game is moving without the ball, I will say he’s also the dude who famously scored 50 in a game without dribbling more than like four times or some such.  If anyone in the league is built to become a stand a shoot guy, it’s him.

Also makes you think back on that time he missed on being All NBA by just a couple votes and therefore ineligible for the SuperMax deal.

Yeah, he was already one of the least explosive guys in the league, so that won't matter much. However, as you mentioned, the running around will likely fall off a cliff, and while he can survive that on the offensive end, his defensive game is going to probably take a nose dive. I've argued that Klay is in the conversation for best 3 and D wing ever, and that part of his career sadly is probably done.

This dynasty was truly wrecked by injuries. 

53 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Hate that for him.  Right Achilles, Left ACL.

While I know a big part of his game is moving without the ball, I will say he’s also the dude who famously scored 50 in a game without dribbling more than like four times or some such.  If anyone in the league is built to become a stand a shoot guy, it’s him.

I dunno about that.  The reason he was able to score 50 without dribbling was because he was running around to get open on the catch and shoots.  If he's immobile, he's just forcing teams to play 4v4 defense against Steph.  That's decent, but not great for a guy who is supposed to be your #2 option on offense.  Plus, there's a good chance his defense is never the same after this - he'll be almost 32 before he next steps on an NBA court, and coming off two serious leg injuries. 

If his mobility is reduced, then he's never going to be an impact player again.  He could still be a decent starter, but that's a big fall from him being ~ the 20th or so best player in the league for the past 8 years. 

Sucks for Klay.  I rooted against the Warriors these past few years, so I found him generally irritating, but he seems like a decent guy who always played hard. 

So they will have a 17 million trade exception to do something with, but now they can also apply for a 9.3 million injured player exception, so thats 2 options they have, and thats outside of traits. Curious to see who they do get.

Hayward has opted out his big last year. So that seems to mean he is going to walk away from Boston for nothing, that seems to be the scenario the Celtics did not want.

4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Hayward has opted out his big last year. So that seems to mean he is going to walk away from Boston for nothing, that seems to be the scenario the Celtics did not want.

At this point good riddance. The injury was horrible but they ruined his second year trying to integrate him again and then he kept getting injured.

When could they have traded him and what could they have gotten for him?

Klay was also very active in the USA Basketball training videos.  From all of the many, many technique videos he appears in, he must have dedicated a healthy portion of time to help young players learn the fundamentals.  He is probably the NBA player who features the most in the last ten years in the teaching series, and he shows up often in the most basic (and thus probably the most boring in which an NBA player can participate) videos.

A lot of them were pretty corny, as you can see from the short summaries available on Youtube, but he always appeared to be doing his best to demonstrate good technique and model correct posture and positioning for young players to emulate.

I will always appreciate him for that.

12 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I am surprised there wasn't more effort to get a center, but all the reports said they were trying to trade up but people weren't biting. Maybe they calculated none of the centers available would be able to contribute soon, or maybe they could pick up a serviceable center with the midlevel exemption. They are also still developing Robert Williams and seemed to find some success with Grant Williams and even Marcus Smart playing some minutes at the 5. I don't know anything about college players but all the analysis says Nesmith, the #14 pick, was one of the best shooters in the draft and they definitely need someone coming off the bench who can make a jumper. 

I mean, the guy they're stashing was the 47th pick. The Celtics' pipeline is already chock full of sorta-promising young guys. Not much space for anyone else.

It's always nice to see teams look inwards to fill holes. Maybe it's just because its the playoffs I watched that those players weren't given much of a chance. I didn't even realise that there were two players called Williams. I was only aware of Robert Williams. 

It'll be interesting to see where Hayward goes. Don't think he'll be able to get on a contender with his full salary unless its a sign and trade. It's unfortunate that he's constantly injured but at least he's not Chandler Parsons. :lol:

__

Sucks that Klay is hurt for another year. It has to be really tough on him mentally too, having spent a year in rehab and now going to have to do it again.

You have to admire the Warriors though, they're getting another player that will trigger a further luxury tax penalty that will cost them an additional $80m including the player's salary.

6 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

At this point good riddance. The injury was horrible but they ruined his second year trying to integrate him again and then he kept getting injured.

When could they have traded him and what could they have gotten for him?

There is apparently still a chance for a sign and trade. How do you like one rumor that says he will be exchanged with Drummond? Boston could use a big man.

4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

There is apparently still a chance for a sign and trade. How do you like one rumor that says he will be exchanged with Drummond? Boston could use a big man.

I dunno, Boston usually wants more versatility from a big than Drummond. Then again I'm so used to seeing the Celtics get bullied on the glass maybe Drummond would be a welcome change. I guess his current contract is less expensive than what Hayward is getting? Can he defend Embiid and the other elite bigs that Boston has to get through in the East?

On 11/19/2020 at 4:42 AM, DanteGabriel said:

I'm not seeing it. She is the base level of what I imagine anyone going to the NBA draft would be looking at. 

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Russ still has some value, even with that awful contract. Idk how anyone can trade for Wall without getting a shit ton of picks too.

Are players locked into their contract even when traded? Could Westbrook for example, take $10 million to go to a contender? 

18 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm not seeing it. She is the base level of what I imagine anyone going to the NBA draft would be looking at. 

Are players locked into their contract even when traded? Could Westbrook for example, take $10 million to go to a contender? 

He could in theory if the team agrees to buy him out. They would still take a significant cap hit. Its why that doesn't happen with big name players on big contracts.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Trust me, the universal reaction to her on draft day was damn!

The contracts are still guaranteed, but who owes who what gets weird depending on the sport and in the NBA they can be bought out while in the NFL players can immediately restructure their contracts. 

There's been so many signings its hard to pick and choose what to talk about.

Hayward to Charlotte, I guess they are expecting him to be back in full fitness and number 1 option. If you're Charlotte, you had one of the 3 most boring rosters the last few years, and you just added Lamelo Ball and Hayward, not bad. The weird thing is we kept hearing he was desperate to go to Indiana, but they couldnt get a sign and trade done with Boston because Boston asked for Turner and Tj Warren/Oladipo and that was too much. For me the Celtics are one of the losers of this FA period.

Harrell to the Lakers is a big get for them. Caldwell Pope has also resigned. However the Clippers save their free agency by signing Ibaka, and even bigger get than the Lakers getting Harrell. The Raptors resigned van Vleet to a huge deal but are now without a center. If I was Marc Gasol, I would go to Golden State which is offering the same money Toronto is right now. On the other hand, he might only be a backup there and Toronto needs a center bad enough that he's a surefire starter, if he cares about that.

Other deals I like: 

Jae Crowder to the Suns. Yet another upgrade for Phoenix.

Gallinari to the Hawks. That team is looking a lot better this year, they also signed Rondo yesterday. Capela is also basically like a new signing for them.

Joe Harris re-signed with the Nets, great shooter and that team looks strong.

Steven Adams to the Pelicans, I like it. They lost Favors and then got a better player in return. Love the idea of him next to Zion, they needed someone and Adams is an excellent center.

A player I am very interested in is Bogdanovic. He still hasnt signed elsewhere. Atlanta was thought to be a big candidate but they have now spent their money on Gallinari and Rondo. And Milwaukee still has a huge glaring gap at shooting guard, if he doesnt sign for them, its trouble.

In terms of trades, I still would like to see a Westbrook for Wall trade. It makes sense, both players are done at their teams and have same positions and contracts. Would be really interesting in particular to see Russ next to Beal at this Wizards team that managed to sign Bertans, has Robin Lopez and an interesting pick in Deni Avdija.

News on the Harden trade has trickled down. Its clear the Nets are waiting, they've hardly done anything in free agency and retained all the trade pieces they need to trade for him. Houston signed Wood, who seems like a player they really need, but its hard to parse that with getting rid of Covington who was seen as crucial for James and Russ.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

News on the Harden trade has trickled down. Its clear the Nets are waiting, they've hardly done anything in free agency and retained all the trade pieces they need to trade for him. Houston signed Wood, who seems like a player they really need, but its hard to parse that with getting rid of Covington who was seen as crucial for James and Russ.

I still think the Nets are only pretending to trade for Harden to placate Durant and Irving. I haven't heard many people say it would actually be a good idea to add Harden. If they can get him for cheap, sure, do it I guess, but if Houston wants fair compensation in return, which would be a lot more than Milwaukee had to give up for Holiday, fuck that noise. 

It does make a lot of sense for the Nets too though. Right now they are left with huge uncertainties.

1) Will Durant be back to full fitness and skill?

2) Aside from him, Irving is notorious for missing big stretches of the season

3) Would you not rather trade smaller pieces like LeVert, Prince, Allen for 1 star? Experts and most teams say you always do that for a superstar, and its actually always a bad deal for the team that trades the superstar. The question for the Nets is, are you willing to sacrifice the picks too. I think they might, they have a window now. And Harden is a reliable presence too, very fit and scores tremendously, he would make them a lot better. Are they really a championship team with Durant, Irving and these role players? Very debatable.

I do think they seriously want him, just trying to get as good a deal as possible.

Archived