Character Thoughts: Robb Stark

slytherinsister

• 3 weeks later...

A boy trying to be his father. A boy with some good tactical and strategic ideas but whose military plans are ultimately horrendously stupid. Who has the glory lust of a young boy seeking approval and who slowly realises out hopelessly out of his depth he actually is. Who dies because he couldn't grasp any of the basics of politics in the seven kingdoms.

Basically the Hannibal of Westeros

- Goes to war primarily for vengeance and due to his love for his father

- An unmatched tactical genius

- Manages to catch his enemy off guard by passing a supposedly impassable mountain range

- Frequently outmaneuvers his enemies

- To compensate however he is strategically inept

- Eventually gets trapped in a foreign land while his homeland is attacked and he loses it all trying to get back

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

- Manages to catch his enemy off guard by passing a supposedly impassable mountain range

- Eventually gets trapped in a foreign land while his homeland is attacked and he loses it all trying to get back

Not a fair comparison as far as Hannibal's concerned. Hannibal had a serious and well thought out plan to defeat Rome that failed to due to two wrong assumptions. One he underestimated the loyalty of Rome's allies and two he underestimated just how much manpower the Romans could pull together. He also totally survives his war and even has a carer back in Qart Hadast after the war for a few years before having to flee into exile.

Robb never has a strategic plan that would allow him to defeat his enemies and achieve his goals. His tactical ability while good is undermined by his desire for glory which results in the unravelling of his entire campaign. Also Robb is basically putty in the hands of his enemies after the Blackwater. Nothing he does affects the final outcome and instead accelerates his march to destruction.

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:
3 hours ago, R2D said:

But Jeyne raped him so I feel sympathy for him.

Jaime raped Cersei 

Ygritte raped Jon

And now this?!? 

Seduction in this case. Witting or unwittingly. 

Others weren't rape BTW 

I think the argument on this one is that Robb was on milk of the poppy. Now we don't know it's exact effects, but one could think that it leads to a state similar to drunkenness or worse. Then again we have no idea who initiated the act, so calling it rape is kinda dubious at best. Thought it's kinda merky to say it was consensual too.

A good, well meaning character who any lord would've been proud to call son.

He unfortunately had the strong arm of plot against him, so he was doomed to fail.

The disrespect and derision of the fandom immensely annoys me, especially when it's as poorly presented as the examples above my post.

If like 3 things went his way, the fandom would trip over themselves to laud him.

13 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Does passing the Golden Tooth really count when it basically comes down to...

lol magic wolf

4 hours ago, The Frosted King said:

A good, well meaning character who any lord would've been proud to call son.

He unfortunately had the strong arm of plot against him, so he was doomed to fail.

The disrespect and derision of the fandom immensely annoys me, especially when it's as poorly presented as the examples above my post.

If like 3 things went his way, the fandom would trip over themselves to laud him.

It surprised me how many people in this thread were against Robb. He made some mistakes, but he was a decent and well meaning character, an able tactician, brave and loyal. There was a bit of impetuosity to him and he was naive about certain things. Ultimately, he did get in over his head. I don’t think that he was incompetent though and under the right circumstances, I think that he could have been a good Lord and even a good King.

2 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

It surprised me how many people in this thread were against Robb. He made some mistakes, but he was a decent and well meaning character, an able tactician, brave and loyal. There was a bit of impetuosity to him and he was naive about certain things. Ultimately, he did get in over his head. I don’t think that he was incompetent though and under the right circumstances, I think that he could have been a good Lord and even a good King.

Pretty much. 

Archived