US Politics: Ruthless Aggression

DMC

3 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

I mean, they were. That's kind of the problem. Europeans tried to manage North American forests like they did European ones, and that doesn't work.

No, that’s not the problem at all. Indigenous people did controlled burns for centuries and the few who were not victims of genocide for Europeans are not allowed to tend things in the traditional way.

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I’m surprised Trump didn’t try to leave his podium and stalk Biden the way he stalked Clinton.

Gotta wait for the town hall format, which will be the next debate in two weeks.

1 minute ago, Fury Resurrected said:

No, that’s not the problem at all. Indigenous people did controlled burns for centuries and the few who were not victims of genocide for Europeans are not allowed to tend things in the traditional way.

That's what I just said, yes. Europeans stopped the indigenous practices that managed the land and tried to do it their way.

6 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Trump literally advocated for his supporters to commit fraud. 

He technically did - sort of, He did qualify it with, see if your vote was tabulated and if it was, you won't be able to.

Let me just say, me and my mom have both been poll workers and while we disagree on politics, we both hated that statement because that's just mean to do to poll workers. Don't make things harder than they have to be and make more work and wait.. (I mean, I hated that statement for a lot of reasons, but that was the point we agreed on)

I think instead of debates it would be better if we held a month long Truman show style reality show aired unedited. In this show both candidates would have to parent three children, one of which would be a toddler, another would be a teenage girl who is dating and has an unreliable car, the other would be in junior high and unwilling to do schoolwork. The candidates would need to parent all three children alone, and work a 40 hour low paying office job like telemarketing, and would be strictly unable to obtain help of any kind during this time. This would tell us much more about their ability to solve problems.

37 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I thought I heard him say "Proud Boys stand down and stand by" I mean, that's confusing as hell and not exactly a condemnation and perhaps a call to arms, but .... hell I don't know.

That’s exactly what he said. He gave a wink and a nod to the Proud Boys, and apparently the internet is cheering that comment like it was the most important thing said all night.

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

My mother always told me that in Poland the forests were immaculately kept. Among other things it meant that there were huge numbers of mushrooms growing in those forests, and mushroom picking was a huge thing. They couldn’t understand why the forests here weren’t looked after the same way.

I met a  French horticulturalist who was over here in Australia and she volunteered to do some bush reclamation work where they deal with invasive weeds, she was sort of astonished by the existence of bushland that had never been cultivated, she commented that 'the bush has its own structure and beauty". I also know someone who took a Polish boyfriend on a tiny bushwalk (the kind where you park somewhere and followed a marked path) and he went into a panic attack and had to go back. He said he has never been in any 'woods' in Poland where he couldn't see through to the other side!

3 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I think instead of debates it would be better if we held a month long Truman show style reality show aired unedited.

As long as Ed Harris is running things I'm in.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

That’s exactly what he said. He gave a wink and a nod to the Proud Boys, and apparently the internet is cheering that comment like it was the most important thing said all night.

It was stunning that even now he couldn't bring himself to denounce white supremacists. I mean it's one of the few things he could do that might move numbers a bit for him. And he promised right there to do it. It's Trump to a t. He writes you a check, gives it to you, and the check will always bounce, it's a law of the universe.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Yeah he also lumped them in together. 
He didn’t even try to pretend the group he was talking wasn’t a white-supremacist group.

16 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

He technically did - sort of, He did qualify it with, see if your vote was tabulated and if it was, you won't be able to.

Let me just say, me and my mom have both been poll workers and while we disagree on politics, we both hated that statement because that's just mean to do to poll workers. Don't make things harder than they have to be and make more work and wait.. (I mean, I hated that statement for a lot of reasons, but that was the point we agreed on)

I know you’re not defending him.
But I have to say it’s a pretty weak qualifier.

If you’re going down to the polling station anyway why ever bother with a mail in ballot at all? 

Several years ago my husband and I were on holiday in the US and overheard a snippet of conversation which made us think the two people concerned were in a militia. It was at an outdoor recreation area where you might picture people like that might go to practice outdoor skills and we happened to walk behind them in the car park. I mean what are the chances?  A two week holiday and we run across that!

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

But how do you guys feel Biden did tonight?

It depends on how you judge these things. He did ok when he talked to the camera, he was more composed, but he also lost his composure a few times.

I doubt anyone not already decided got enough information to make a good decision

9 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I'm not going to get over this.

Stand by? Stand by for what?

Somebody has to do something about the left? I mean, even accepting that Antifa is the extremist, violent hate group Trump wants it to be, "do something about the left", WTF?

Also, he's the president, if anyone needs to do "something" about (to) Antifa (and the left) surely it's him, not some white supremacist proxy. He's had 4 years to do that something.

Archived