How did you "discover" ASOIAF?

mushroomshirt

11 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

The kiddo nerd said it best, :cheers:  

I take it that it's me? Like it very much. Kiddo nerd. Sounds nice 

You know how teens want to be adults and how once they do, they miss their carefree youth? I'm somewhere in the middle phase. 

12 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

You know that's funny as the first time I ever heard about GOT was a couple of coworkers discussing something from the show.   I remember asking them if they were talking about real people!   Right on!

I work a desk job and the amount of us who use fantasy/mystery/thriller/horror novels to escape and relax was eye opening. Out of the 15 coworkers I used to share an office with five of us read or were reading the books and another three only watched the show. Many a meeting turned into mini book club discussions :grouphug:

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

I take it that it's me? Like it very much. Kiddo nerd. Sounds nice 

You know how teens want to be adults and how once they do, they miss their carefree youth? I'm somewhere in the middle phase. 

This is one of those rare topics you get a little insight into the members of the book club.  There is room to for appreciation.  It's all you, you nerdy kiddo.

9 minutes ago, Lord Daedrunk said:

I work a desk job and the amount of us who use fantasy/mystery/thriller/horror novels to escape and relax was eye opening. Out of the 15 coworkers I used to share an office with five of us read or were reading the books and another three only watched the show. Many a meeting turned into mini book club discussions :grouphug:

Beats the hell out of politics and world pandemics.  

My mom gave me A Game of Thrones in 2012, the year I graduated High School as a gift for my achievement. I had heard of the show by that point, but I wasn't sure that I would be interested. Until I read that prologue. I was hooked and I haven't looked back since.

I was actively avoiding asoiaf, because I thought it was just another fantasy mega-series; always a new triology appearing, always sort of the same. (Not something I could accuse grrm of, as it happened.)

Luckily, I was given the entire series as a gift, and even more luckily, for some reason I want to know what other people thought of it, and found myself here.

Archived