Acrophobia #39 Raven messages continued.

Castellan

1 hour ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

An odd round to vote on to be honest.

Vic ain't smart but I'd argue he's more dull than stupid.

I'm fascinated that #4 took more points than #3. They're similar and similarly in line with Victarion's character (dull and somewhat misogynistic), which is why I picked them as the top two but I thought #3 did it better (I can almost hear Vic referring to Dany as a dragon wench)

#5 is so wonderfully creative with tricky letters but just doesn't seem like Victarion to me. It took my 3rd spot for its authorial creativity

#6 I spent a lot of time thinking about but I couldn't quite make sense out of it. In the end I came back to Vic being more dull than stupid.

An unusual round for sure

I agree  with you. Generally my voting strategy is to vote first for the entry that feels most like the character and then for the ones I find most creative and this round mostly had creative and funky ones. And my “writing” strategy is to reflect the character as best as I can while attempting to make grammatical sense, and if the letters allow (this barely ever happens, especially that as a non native speaker I have a rather limited range of vocab) make the message sound and look at least remotely pleasant. Now this round I had no grasp of the character whatsoever as Victarion is so painfully bland and I barely skimmed through his chapters (this is true for the a lot of POV characters, I admit, but Vic lacks persona so much that I can’t even link a stereotype to him as I could with Euron or a random ass character like Ser Patrick of the mountain or whatshisname). Then reading all the entries, my impression had been that maybe everybody felt this way (even though I’m sure y’all are better at reading through boring chapters) and the character is just too nothing to really get inside his head. :dunno: 

18 hours ago, Castellan said:

while Ser Not Appearing was under appreciated

it was first-class! :ninja:

rare for Ser, of course :ninja:

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I barely skimmed through his chapters (this is true for the a lot of POV characters, I admit)

Victarion, Aeron, Sam, Cersei, Bran, Tyrion, Jon, Daenerys, Brienne, Theon? :ninja:

6 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

You've been way more creative with words than us native speakers in this edition :lol:

Oh thanks, I really Liked all the fun yo messages though, I can never deliver that snappy haiku humor :lol: 

1 hour ago, a free shadow said:

it was first-class! :ninja:

rare for Ser, of course :ninja:

Victarion, Aeron, Sam, Cersei, Bran, Tyrion, Jon, Daenerys, Brienne, Theon? :ninja:

Victarion, Aeron, Asha, Arianne, Aero, Bran, Brienne mainly. Sam, Jon and Davos are moderately boring, but at least they narrate important parts of the main plot. As time progressed, Theon, Tyrion, Sansa and Daenerys became increasingly boring too. I have no recollection of Jaime, but I remember that I found Cersei mildly entertaining and refreshing. In ADWD virtually everybody was unbearable without exception. Generally I just think the story should have been concluded in max 5 books. 

On 11/23/2020 at 4:22 PM, Castellan said:

Ser Not Appearing was under appreciated. Yes, under appreciated I say! His entry captured the poignancy of stupidity. 

I did say I'd regret my choice between the three but I picked the one that best represented someone dumb and maybe almost illiterate, as I imagined him to be. But it was perhaps too much on the nose.

I probably preferred them in reverse order to how likely they were to score. I liked them in this order:

1. Yes, Victarion fly? Yes, babe will fly? (Extra dumb)

2. Yo voluptuous female, ya boi wants flyers. (Obnoxious in a jersey shore way)

3. You do wifey? Vic arrives. (Simple, to the point ... boring)

Many apologies.

1. Yield, enslaved nobodies! Behold rabid quest: seas’ overlord lands

2. Quake! Krakens terrorise men, gods!

3. You're Euron's, now bend rightfully. Queen sought, offerings levied.

4. Unleashed: paranormal kraken!  Insects, yield or die.

5. Quick! Kowtow to my glory.

6. Yon endangered north,
    Bringing rapturous, quirky salvation; offering liturgies.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:03 PM, Ser Not Appearing said:

But it was perhaps too much on the nose.

Oh, so it was a mistake to think it had layers?

I thought it was supposed to say how Victarion is trying to say he is great, and not realising how it really reveals his not greatness!

"Yes, Victarion fly (as in "I am so fly")? Yes, babe will fly (away with me)?"

And only then the basic layer of dullness and real flying...

23 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Like any good author

It is good to have goals! :ninja:

I do not know how to split the votes...

The second place is second place, but it was hard to decide which is first and which is third! The word "quirky" is not Euron's, otherwise it would have been otherwise.

Archived