How many languages can Dany speak? Part II

Rosetta Stone

On 9/28/2020 at 6:22 AM, James West said:

Xaro, I believe he speaks at least two languages.  Most certainly The Unsullied who were taken from places which speak another language.  Only the strongest survive the training.  Those who have adapted to the language of their trainers very quickly.  

Dany is a quick study.  She may yet pick up more languages if she circles east to get to westeros.  I wish George had not decided to avoid Asshai altogether.  That would have been an interesting adventure to read about.

And those who are very good at adapting and remembering their temporary names! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 11:51 AM, TedBear said:

According to the Wiki she speaks five languages, common Tongue, bastard valyrian, high valyrian, Dothraki, and Ghiscari. Is the High Valyrian very different from the Valyrian spoken in the free cities, enough to be considered another language?

Good ?. 

Hello, I am C3P0, protocol droid, human-cyborg relations . I am fluent in over 6 million forms of communication.

Hello, I'm Queen Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lady of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, Lady of Dragonstone, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons.

Spoiler

But you can call me Dany, and I can't beat 3PO in languages

4 hours ago, Roswell said:

@Rosetta Stone The languages are close enough so that an Astapori like Kraznys was able to understand High Valyrian.  The Valyrian of the Free Cities would be closer to the original language because it is not mixed in with the old Ghis language. 

That's not how I read it. High Valyrian is lingua franca. Kraznys, as a noble/merchant, would speak it. When Tyrion goes to Volantis he tries to speak in High Valyrian and the brothel owner doesn't understand him. He doesn't understand what the people are saying in the streets either. Same with the slaves at Illyrio's manse in Pentos, Tyrion can't communicate at all. The languages in the free cities have evolved to become definitely different from each other. 

On 9/27/2020 at 11:51 AM, TedBear said:

According to the Wiki she speaks five languages, common Tongue, bastard valyrian, high valyrian, Dothraki, and Ghiscari. Is the High Valyrian very different from the Valyrian spoken in the free cities, enough to be considered another language?

The ability to speak many languages is a great foundation to build the necessary skills of one who will rule over an empire. 

Archived