Football: You Can't Handball The Truth

polishgenius

21 hours ago, polishgenius said:

You can see why Mane was irritated at being brought off coz Jota is a bigtime threat to his first team place.

I think that's somewhat overestimating Jota or underestimating Mane.

Mane is arguably the best wide player in the game right now. Thus I don't think Jota poses an immediate threat for Mane.

I think I've said it at some point during the last season. Firmino is Liverpool's focal point on attack (his workrate and ability to draw away defenders and thus create space for Salah and Mane is kinda the key to their offense) and Mane is their best player, thus Salah is relatively speaking the easiest to dispose for any new signing.

49 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Lots of reports in the last hour that Ousmane Dembele is close to joining United for a hefty fee. Barca will then use the money on Depay. 

So United finally get a plan B after they failed to sign Sancho.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

I mean it kinda is a “oh maybe he will break through in two years” deal though. Mane and Salah are two of the top attackers in the world in their primes. You have to be realistic and Jota isn’t a threat. 

Mane wasn't among the top attackers in world football when Klopp signed him and while Salah was, he wasn't the player he is now. Which is pretty much a pattern for Klopp, he brings players up to speed and into his system really fast. I think y'all are underestimating Jota if you think it's gonna take two years for him to be in competition for a regular spot tbqh.

Doesn't look like Dembele is true or if it is it would only be a loan. Which would kinda make sense really, if the ultimate plan is to just give in and give Dortmund what they want in winter or next summer for Sancho. He is the right kind of player though so I wouldn't be mad about it despite the concerns around him.

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Mane wasn't among the top attackers in world football when Klopp signed him and while Salah was, he wasn't the player he is now. Which is pretty much a pattern for Klopp, he brings players up to speed and into his system really fast. I think y'all are underestimating Jota if you think it's gonna take two years for him to be in competition for a regular spot tbqh.

True, while he was not considered elite, but I think he still produced pretty good numbers for a winger at Southampton already. 10 goals in 30 games or something? So you could see that they were buying value for money. With Liverpool Mane had a different cast and a system more geared towards scoring wingers than he had at Southampton. I think there's a disucssion to be had, on how much Mane actually improved, and how much he benefitted from the way Klopp's Liverpool plays.

He definitely improved. He was good at Southampton but he'd tend to drift in and out of games, not be consistently influiential throughout.

In any case Jota scored seven goals last season, a bit less than Mane, nine the season before, in a team where he was less a focus than Mane was at Saints. He's hardly unproductive.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Liverpool have confirmed that Thiago has tested positive for Covid-19. 

It was pretty obvious that was what was going on with the whole Thiago and Alisson might or might not be available thing. I'd guess they both came into contact with someone with Covid-19 and Alisson came back negative and Thiago positive.

I think we're going to see more of this as the infection rate in the general population goes up. I suppose the important thing is we don't see big outbreaks due to contact at football clubs.

Eric Dier with an emergency shit during play. Then Mourinho goes running after him like he was gonna join him. Unreal stuff.

Che/Tot went to penalties and I couldn't help but recall Kepa refusing to leave the field when Sarri was the manager. We had Mendy in today and I was thinking how wild it would be if Kepa got off the bench, kicked Mendy out between the posts and let every goal in just to spite Lampard. We ended up letting every goal in anyway and losing so it wouldn't have changed anything. 

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Liverpool have confirmed that Thiago has tested positive for Covid-19. 

It really questions the sense of the upcoming international break.  There’s a low level spread still happening among PL players as is.  Traveling to meet up with national teammates from various countries seems like an unnecessary risk of further spreading.

Perhaps they can just play the qualifiers on XBox instead. 

Meanwhile Bayern have wonthe German Super Cup.

They managed to win the game in the end, after dropping a two goal lead against Dortmund. Interesting sidenote: this was the last game for Bibiana Steinhaus, the only female referee, who is officiating at the top tier in the mens' game. She declared her decission to retire for personal reasons. Her statement was something along the lines, the corona time out has presented a lot us with time for introspection, so I arrived at the conclusion, it's time for me to retire and focus on other things.

No idea, whether she wants to focus on her career as a copper full time, or whether she decided to have kids now, and at age 41 heard the infamous clock ticking. Either way, well done for breaking the glass ceiling, and best of luck to her in her future endeavours.

Archived