Football: You Can't Handball The Truth

polishgenius

Well, I have held out hope that Pickford will get his focus back, as he is fast on the line, has good reflexes and is strong in one-on-one situations when he's at his best.

He has been declining over time, however, and today was a howler that I would have been embarrased to make. 

Time to bench him. I don't care if the alternatives are worse, he needs a major wake-up call.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Let the Everton pleb think he's a hero for a minute.

Also, when did James Rodríguez join that side? How the mighty have fallen....

Even foreign Chelsea fans are the worst.  They really are a universally shitty little obnoxious club. 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Let the Everton pleb think he's a hero for a minute.

Also, when did James Rodríguez join that side? How the mighty have fallen....

That side has Carlo Ancelotti as a coach, one of the best available. Huge factor. Another thing is, he gets to play football regularly. And it looks like Everton are building something good over there lately.

Don't know about every Everton fan around, but I most definetely am just waiting for the season to implode in every possible way. The more games we win at the start, the worse the implosion.

Everton, that.

3 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Well, I have held out hope that Pickford will get his focus back, as he is fast on the line, has good reflexes and is strong in one-on-one situations when he's at his best.

He has been declining over time, however, and today was a howler that I would have been embarrased to make. 

Time to bench him. I don't care if the alternatives are worse, he needs a major wake-up call.

The sample size is small but feel like martinez would have been a decent punt at 20 million

Classic Italy: Napoli forbidden to travel away by local authorities due to Covid cases in their squad (after the game vs Genoa, when afterwards 22 Genoa players/staff members were diagnosed). 

Juventus wants three points by forfeiting the match vs Napoli tomorrow, or, threaten they'll field their team when the game is scheduled. How surprising of them. 

1 hour ago, Rorshach said:

Don't know about every Everton fan around, but I most definetely am just waiting for the season to implode in every possible way. The more games we win at the start, the worse the implosion.

Everton, that.

If the season gets stopped early for COVID, then final league places will be awarded on points per game.  This is a season where a fast start could be really, really valuable.  (Although we all hope the COVID won’t be as bad as that)

I’ve only watched highlights of Everton so far but something in their new midfield play reminds me slightly of the Chelsea team when Deco first arrived (I think they played a diamond formation).  They also made a very strong start by racking up goals for the first 2-3 months. 

Brighton were quite good against United last week and were unfortunate to lose (they hit the bar five times), but they got humped by Everton today and also lost to Chelsea two weeks ago.  Similarly Palace had a comfortable win against United a couple of weeks ago but were battered today by Chelsea and also lost to Everton last week.  It’s very early and a very small sample size, but those games provide a very good comparison point against the same opponents at the same time.  Usually competing teams play the same opponents months apart when form or injuries might affect the comparison. 

Cavani to United?  On one hand, he adds experience and depth to a very young forward line that got over-played and exhausted pre-lockdown last season.  On the other hand, he’s been a free agent all summer and no other club was willing to meet his demands.  And he presumably pushes Martial left and therefore Rashford right whenever he plays, which didn’t work out well for them previously.

Possibly good business, possibly expensive desperation.  

Cavani has a history of being an exemplar of his team's quality and level of play.  If he is playing with excellent players and a good coach, he seems world class and performs beyond expectations.  When the side is imbalanced or contains more than a few mediocre teammates, he looks off.  He is the plumb bob of any team, so I don't expect that his arrival will drive performances up or down significantly.

9 hours ago, Raja said:

The sample size is small but feel like martinez would have been a decent punt at 20 million

I would be fine to throw Joao Virginia out there, too. Did well in the one League Cup match he got, small sample sizes and all that.

Heck, at the moment, I wouldn't mind playing Jonas Lössl, who is clearly inferior.

Cavani to United's a bit of strange one. Even if they're getting gouged on agent fees it's relatively low risk with a one or two year contract but what's the point? It doesn't seem like it's going to be a particularly transformative signing and how good's he really going to be at 33?

We were losing the UEFA cup final and didn't make any changes till the 86th minute is the point. Like I do think Ighalo should have come on but he isn't really a Europe-level player and in any case he's leaving at Christmas. Cavani's a little bit of a risk in terms of his age and form last season but he's a true striker, with known ability, he adds depth.

He looks like a terrible signing because we're not getting Sancho or any other RW and are still flailing on Telles. But taken on his own he's alright. Not great, but alright, and a position we do need strengthening in.

Archived