Football: You Can't Handball The Truth

polishgenius

5 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Serious question, why would Sancho come to play for Ole and this United team? Except for the mega salary maybe?

High recognition at home/to increase his chances/standing on the English National team by playing in the EPL.

That would be my guess.

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

High recognition at home/to increase his chances/standing on the English National team by playing in the EPL.

That would be my guess.

ok but hes's already proven his talent at Dortmund and hence got his call up for the national squad.Surely, the recognition of his talent to play for England should not be dependent on his playing in the EPL.Look at all the foreign players playing in Europe , excelling in the top leagues with some of the best clubs and then getting in to their national sides as a result.Why is the reverse true for English players?

British Media focus is on the EPL, thus more attention for the EPL players. Plain and simple. While Bayern and Leipzig had some fun tearing EPL teams a new one, there are probably still enough SUN readers out there, who think of the Bundesliga as some kind of farm league or something.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That would be my guess.

He’s already a starter for England because he plays at a club that allows him to show his attacking ability.  Considering he can reasonably expect to move to a club that is seriously challenging for league and CL, I doubt his international prospects are going to be much of a factor either way on his decision.

He’d probably prefer to return home to England, and perhaps even home to the Manchester area, and he probably wants to be paid well and have a chance to continue to develop (good coach, strong team, starting role in team) and win lots of titles.  

I guess it depends which balance of those he wants and how patient he is to see what offers emerge.  City arguably might want Sancho to upgrade Mahrez.  Bayern might want him if he’ll stay in Germany.  Barca might even be an option next year as they rebuild. Liverpool and Chelsea are stacked with starting wide forwards for now at least.  Spurs and Arsenal probably cannot afford him.  United need him more than anyone.

He probably should have negotiated a release clause if he wanted to control his options. 

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

British Media focus is on the EPL, thus more attention for the EPL players. Plain and simple. While Bayern and Leipzig had some fun tearing EPL teams a new one, there are probably still enough SUN readers out there, who think of the Bundesliga as some kind of farm league or something.

Sure, but Southgate, for all his failings, isn't that dumb. You'd think Sancho would prefer stability in a team he knows he works well in, rather than risking a switch to a team with obvious issues.

He's on good wages already, so it won't hurt him to wait another year and see what the situation is then.

Just now, Iskaral Pust said:

He’d probably prefer to return home to England, and perhaps even home to the Manchester area, and he probably wants to be paid well and have a chance to continue to develop (good coach, strong team, starting role in team) and win lots of titles.  

City got him from Watford when he was 15/16, I think, so home for him is more likely to be London than Manchester.

12 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

wow...just wow. Mourinho with the last laugh

I’m actually hoping United win the second half to keep OGS in his job.

I thought it was a bit ridiculous that Spurs played their starting team on Thursday night to batter Maccaba Haifi 7-2 in the EL qualifier, but it was probably good practice at demolishing a disorganized opponent.  Spurs now have three games this season already with 5+ goals scored. Mourinho might not play attacking football, but they know how to take advantage of a disorganized opponent.

4 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

City got him from Watford when he was 15/16, I think, so home for him is more likely to be London than Manchester.

I didn’t realize that.  I thought he was a local kid from all that I saw written about him.

That’s a bit like Liverpool developing Sterling, Brewster and <ahem> Solanke after signing them young from other academies. 

Woodward will sign Klopp as next manager. Then the whole world can see how good this faux teethed fraud is, without Mane and Salah.

Nah, seriously, I think next high profile coach to be available will probably be Tuchel. PSG's squad is getting thinner, and expectations remain the same. Leonardo and Tuchel have clashed already over this, so this is not gonna end well.

Archived