Football: You Can't Handball The Truth

polishgenius

In other news.

I think, I have to make amends wrt Harry Kane. I questioned his status as World Class in the previous thread (always felt he was a bit one dimensional as a player, who was overhyped because he is English), but with his newly found playmaking skills, I've to acknowledge him as being legit WC.

It is hard to judge Kane, because he dips in and out of form, usually due to one injury or another. 

His recent form has been helped by a number of factors though. Playing Utd and Southampton, who both collapsed to a combination of him and Son, has highlighted just how good he is as a creator. I hate to say it but he fits into a Jose side perfectly, making a counter attack strategy work, especially if up against sides who play into it. 

21 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm fine with people getting picked on form rather than name, but this is the most c list team I've ever seen for England. 

No John Terry, there's no bigger C than Terry.

In other news.

Germany's u21's European qualifier had to be cancelled on short notice, because one of the players had tested positive for corona.  It's a bit unclear how that's gonna play out.

Also, German FA hq was raided the other day by the police. Old board had apparently been engaged with some tax shenanigans. Looks like Keller still has (unsurprisingly) some work on his hands to clean up that mess.

Update: The German u21 had been cleared to fly and play. Sounds insane to me. But what can you do?

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

This looks suspiciously like ‘here is some cash while you guys are desperate, and in exchange you let us do whatever the hell we want’

For those who can't read it, the plans are also here:

https://www.football365.com/news/liverpool-man-utd-drive-project-big-picture-premier-leageue-control

The plans include:

• £250 million immediately to the EFL to compensate its clubs for lost matchday revenue, deducted from future television revenue earnings and financed by a loan taken out by the Premier League.
  • Special status for the nine longest serving clubs – and the vote of only six of those “long-term shareholders” required to make major changes, including amending rules and regulations, agreeing contracts, removal of the chief executive, and a wide-ranging veto including on club ownership.
  • Premier League to go to 18 clubs from 20.
  • £100 million one-off gift to the FA to cover its coronavirus losses, the non-league game, the women’s game, the grassroots.
  • 8.5 per cent of annual net Premier League revenue to go on operating costs and “good causes” including the FA.
  • From the remainder, 25 per cent of all combined Premier League and Football League revenues to go to the EFL clubs.
  • Six per cent of Premier League gross revenues to pay for stadium improvements across the top four divisions, calculated at £100 per seat.
  • New rules for the distribution of Premier League television income, overseas and domestic, including proposals that base one portion on performance over three years in the league.
  • The abolition of the League Cup and the Community Shield.
  • 24 clubs each in the Championship, League One and League Two reducing the professional game overall from 92 clubs to 90.
  • A women’s professional league independent of the Premier League or the FA.
  • Two sides automatically relegated from the Premier League every season and the top two Championship teams promoted. The 16th place Premier League club in a play-off tournament with the Championship’s third, fourth and fifth placed teams.
  • Financial fair play regulations in line with Uefa, and full access for Premier League executive to club accounts.
  • A fan charter including capping of away tickets at £20, away travel subsidised, a focus on a return to safe standing, a minimum away allocation of eight per cent capacity.
  • Later Premier League start in August to give greater scope for pre-season friendlies, and requirement for all clubs to compete once every five years in a summer Premier League tournament.
  • Huge changes to loan system allowing clubs to have 15 players out on loan domestically at any one time and up to four at a single club in England.

There is a real sense of giving with one hand and taking from the other. The special voting status change for the biggest clubs is long term a pretty dirty move. Also changing the relegation rules so that the 3rd team goes into a playoff is just another way of cutting down the number of relegations. 

No coincidence this is an American led proposal, I've heard numerous stories of US companies wanting to take over Prem clubs, only to be utterly shocked at the idea of relegation. 

It's definitely a power grab taking advantage of the financial crisis to concentrate power among the big six. They've also sweetened the deal by proposing to abolish parachute payments - that has been a bone of contention among Championship clubs as it does give the clubs relegated from the PL a financial advantage - and replacing it with a 25% share of the revenue to be distributed among all EFL clubs in addition to a portion of revenue being earmarked to assist EFL clubs with operating costs and stadium improvements.

The fan charter is also designed to try and garner broader public support by capping away ticket prices as well as subsidising away travel. Rick Parry - who was instrumental in the formation of the PL and served as its first CEO - has clearly been drafted in to lobby EFL clubs and I can certainly see a majority of EFL clubs agreeing to the proposal. I'd also be surprised if this proposal does go through - I expect there is going to be stiff opposition from the 11 PL clubs not granted long term shareholder status. Reducing the league to 18 teams is also going to receive a huge amount of pushback.

The PL has released a statement:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1860125?sf238717394=1

We have seen media reports today regarding a plan to restructure football in this country.

English football is the world's most watched, and has a vibrant, dynamic and competitive league structure that drives interest around the globe.

To maintain this position, it is important that we all work together.

Both the Premier League and The FA support a wide-ranging discussion on the future of the game, including its competition structures, calendar and overall financing particularly in light of the effects of COVID-19.

Football has many stakeholders, therefore this work should be carried out through the proper channels enabling all clubs and stakeholders the opportunity to contribute.

In the Premier League's view, a number of the individual proposals in the plan published today could have a damaging impact on the whole game and we are disappointed to see that Rick Parry, Chair of the EFL, has given his on-the-record support.

The Premier League has been working in good faith with its clubs and the EFL to seek a resolution to the requirement for COVID-19 rescue funding.

This work will continue.

29 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It's the Nations League as well. Nobody cares if they lose. Just pick an attacking side and be fun to watch ffs. I gave up after about 20 minutes, I've got better things to do with my life than watching that.

I managed 5. I'd forgotten that football could be played at such a slow uninteresting pace. 

Archived