Football: You Can't Handball The Truth

polishgenius

Does anybody watch these international games? Genuine question. I certainly don't any more. There might have been a point a few years ago where I would possibly watch the odd England friendly if it was on TV, but usually I'd watch 30 mins, realise nobody was really trying and then switch off. 

This Nations.. thing.. competition whatever.. I have no idea what it even is, or what the rules are.. is there even a prize? I doubt most people out there do either. Surely it's a total flop isn't it?

Now if in the big shake up mentioned on the previous page, the Prem top 6 said they wanted to ban relegation and give an extra point every match to clubs who earn a certain amount of money.. but they were going to scrap international friendlies altogether, well then I might have gotten on board with that idea.

I've stopped watching national teams a while back, due to the criminal way our national FA is being run.

To be honest, if our FA changed and was run properly, I'm quite sure I'd watch the national team once again and love it! In my opinion, there's nothing like the atmosphere around the football World Cup or the Euros. The same probably goes for other continental tournaments, but I'm from Europe so that one does it for me ;) 

France v. Portugal was a good game - I only caught the 2nd half though. Outside of the major tournaments, I rarely watch international football. Internationals haven't been the pinnacle of football for many years now - top level club football is of a higher standard and has been for a long time.

I don't think many could tell you off the top of their heads what the rules and format of the Nations League are. It's somehow linked to Euro qualifying if I'm not mistaken. Majority of the internationals we've had this season were unnecessary and should have been cancelled. The only games that needed to be played were the outstanding Euro play-off matches.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

I've stopped watching national teams a while back, due to the criminal way our national FA is being run.

To be honest, if our FA changed and was run properly, I'm quite sure I'd watch the national team once again and love it! In my opinion, there's nothing like the atmosphere around the football World Cup or the Euros. The same probably goes for other continental tournaments, but I'm from Europe so that one does it for me ;) 

World Cups are the most exciting form of football for me, and while they might not always be the absolute pinnacle of quality, they are something I always look forward to. They work because everyone is bought into the idea, everyone is excited, and the prize is one that everyone wants. I think the format is in danger of more bloat than ever though, and it can get to the point where too many of the matches are irrelevant. 

Either way, I always considered whether there would get to a point where those in charge of football realise there is a point where they water down their own brand too much by just playing too many games and people get bored of the whole thing.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Would rather not watch over an hour of commercials 

Very much agreed.  I start watching around 45-60 minutes after the game actually starts, and then use the DVR/streaming app functionality to fast forward through commercials and the half time break.  Watching the entire broadcast of an NFL game is crazy.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

France v. Portugal was a good game - I only caught the 2nd half though. Outside of the major tournaments, I rarely watch international football. Internationals haven't been the pinnacle of football for many years now - top level club football is of a higher standard and has been for a long time.

I don't think many could tell you off the top of their heads what the rules and format of the Nations League are. It's somehow linked to Euro qualifying if I'm not mistaken. Majority of the internationals we've had this season were unnecessary and should have been cancelled. The only games that needed to be played were the outstanding Euro play-off matches.

Agree to 90%. Disagreement/correction on the bolded. South America (Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay etc.) have started with their WC qualfier. So those games are certainly as necessary as the Euro play-offs. This silly Nations League or Friendlies were really unnecessary.

42 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Very much agreed.  I start watching around 45-60 minutes after the game actually starts, and then use the DVR/streaming app functionality to fast forward through commercials and the half time break.  Watching the entire broadcast of an NFL game is crazy.

I've tried watching NFL quite a few times and just couldn't get into it. All the breaks are just throwing me off.

Also, I can't like the sport where (theoretically at least) a Hall of Fame level athlete can finish his career without ever touching the ball during play. I get that they all have very specific duties on the field and they are world-class athletes but still...

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Agree to 90%. Disagreement/correction on the bolded. South America (Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay etc.) have started with their WC qualfier. So those games are certainly as necessary as the Euro play-offs. This silly Nations League or Friendlies were really unnecessary.

Probably wasn't clear but I was specifically referring to the nations league and friendlies there. Of course WC qualifiers have to be played - there's no getting around that.

6 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Also, what is this idiot Southgate doing wasting Trent on the bench? England are going to waste some generational talents again with mediocre manager.

I’m glad he’ll be fresh for the weekend.  I just wish he was at Melwood all week being coached on his positioning.

I've not been watching any of these games but is Gareth Soughgate, armed with one of the most creative talent pools England have ever had, really out here starting with two defensive midfielders and two right-backs, neither of whom was TAA, against Denmark?

Archived