Football: You Can't Handball The Truth

polishgenius

19 minutes ago, Raja said:

Re: all the talk about TAA - To be fair, I thought Reece james was actually quite good

He had a good game, but he's not even close to being as good as TAA. I'm not sure why Southgate feels the need to give every right back in the country a game, though I'm fine with TAA being rested of course.

I fully expect Tariq Lamptey to be called-up and capped before too long as well.

ETA. James started chuntering away at the referee like a halfwit after the game and got himself sent off, so not a wholly successful night for him anyway.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Harry McGuire might need a break. That was a Woodgate like level of fuckupery. 

Maguire has had a nightmare of a season thus far. He probably does need some time away from the game after the events in Greece in addition to him being overplayed last season where at times he played while carrying an injury and having to take pain injections - reportedly Maguire played more minutes last season for club and country than any other footballer in the world. Unfortunately he's not likely to be given some time off.

6 hours ago, Raja said:

Re: all the talk about TAA - To be fair, I thought Reece james was actually quite good

James is a good player but he shouldn't be above third choice for England, because first is TAA, second should be AWB for the opposite tactical option. And if they do take a third he should be a viable attacking alternative to TAA, and while James could fill that I feel like Trippier or maybe Lamptey fits that better.

Just now, Soylent Brown said:

He's the main threat, sure, but Mane and Matip are both handy in the air too. Consistent deliveries will help.

Matip's not anything special, he's basically just your average central defender. Mane's quite good but he's a midget. It's not just that Van Dijk's really good in the air, it's also that he attracts about 3 defenders every set piece so even if he doesn't get it someone else is free.

Archived