Football: You Can't Handball The Truth

polishgenius

Is it me or are keepers getting worse at saving penalties? Adrian's having a lie down on one side of the goal a good few seconds before most of the Arsenal players have even arrived at the ball. And he's not the only one I've seen lately doing something similar.

A few poor penalties from Liverpool and Arsenal are through. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Is it me or are keepers getting worse at saving penalties? Adrian's having a lie down on one side of the goal a good few seconds before most of the Arsenal players have even arrived at the ball. And he's not the only one I've seen lately doing something similar.

I think it's 'cause they're getting penalised more for coming off their line so they just have to gamble even more. Half the penalties you used to see saved the keeper would be a couple of yards off their line.

I'm not sure it's that, I just think a lot of keepers just guess earlier these days. In the Chelsea shootout the other day, both keepers just spent the entire time dodging out of the way. They may as well have not even been there.

The new policy on the line rule probably distracts the keeper more, but I don't think they were gaining any huge advantage from being a couple of inches off their lines before that anyway.

I’m not bothered about the kids going out of the LC.  Arsenal did for us on penalties again but we got some good performances and I won’t miss the extra fixtures.  Crazy that Salah played tonight, even with no Egyptian games for him ahead (Mane and Keita will have friendlies to play, even though AFCON has no qualifiers).  Not having Shaq in midfield was the big gap that hurt the team tonight; I assume he was left out ahead of a transfer because he played really well last week.  Wilson did poorly in his place, and Curtis Jones was less effective too.  His worst games are when he tries too hard to be a hero.  Neco Williams did better despite being targeted by Saka and Pepe.

Tough CL draw for Liverpool, but it should produce some entertaining games.  It feels like City get a cake-walk every year, even when they’re in pot 2 FFS.

Godfrey came up as an option after injuries to Holgate and Brathwaite, and after Tomori and whatshisname at Barca didin't come through.

Don't know much about him - can't remember any Norwich defender from their PL time - but I hope he has a bit of speed, at least. 

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Bournemouth might be relegated but Liverpool have found another PL club to rinse.

As far as Liverpool squad players getting sold goes I think that might be more of an Ings than a Solanke situation. The buy back clause probably isn't ideal but other than that I think that's a decent signing for Sheffield United. They need a goalscorer and Brewster got 11 in 22 games for Swansea last year and looks very promising. It's not like they're giving a player it's gone wrong for a second chance (like Bournemouth with Solanke).

13 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

As far as Liverpool squad players getting sold goes I think that might be more of an Ings than a Solanke situation. The buy back clause probably isn't ideal but other than that I think that's a decent signing for Sheffield United. They need a goalscorer and Brewster got 11 in 22 games for Swansea last year and looks very promising. It's not like they're giving a player it's gone wrong for a second chance (like Bournemouth with Solanke).

Brewster is promising and might end up being better than Solanke but that is still a big fee for a player with a good half season in the championship and who has not played a single minute in the PL. Pretty great business from Liverpool though to get an inflated fee in addition to a buyback and 15% sell on.

25 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Brewster is promising and might end up being better than Solanke but that is still a big fee for a player with a good half season in the championship and who has not played a single minute in the PL.

Brewster also had an strong age grade career, he's a highly rated talent who's progressed through the various levels well. Villa just paid £28 million for Watkins who scored at a slightly better ratio in the Championship for a significantly better side he was more used to playing with. Goalscorers are expensive. :dunno:

10 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Brewster also had an strong age grade career, he's a highly rated talent who's progressed through the various levels well.

So did Solanke and there's not much, if any, pushback for saying that his fee was inflated. 

10 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Villa just paid £28 million for Watkins who scored at a slightly better ratio in the Championship for a significantly better side he was more used to playing with. Goalscorers are expensive. :dunno:

Watkins also has significantly more experience in senior football than Brewster. 220+ games vs 25. Brewster might very well turn out to be worth it but right now it looks an inflated fee for an inexperienced player who may or may not turn out to be better than Solanke. 

17 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

So did Solanke and there's not much, if any, pushback for saying that his fee was inflated.

Yeah, because Solanke had clearly gone backwards during his time at Liverpool.

17 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Watkins also has significantly more experience in senior football than Brewster. 220+ games vs 25. Brewster might very well turn out to be worth it but right now it looks an inflated fee for an inexperienced player who may or may not turn out to be better than Solanke. 

Watkins also wasn't a particularly highly rated youth player and was a good but not overly exceptional Championship player for the two seasons prior to his really good year last season for Brentford.

There's clearly some uncertainty with Brewster but that's why Sheffield United are in a position to get him. If he was a nailed on 20 Premier League goals a season striker he'd be a £50 million plus player and there'd be no chance of him going to them.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Brewster also had an strong age grade career, he's a highly rated talent who's progressed through the various levels well. Villa just paid £28 million for Watkins who scored at a slightly better ratio in the Championship for a significantly better side he was more used to playing with. Goalscorers are expensive. :dunno:

Proven goalscorers. And that's the point. Brewster is not a proven goalscorer at that level. He has played half a season at a Championship club. So getting 25m is a very good piece of business for Liverpool. And even if Brewster meets your high expectations, you still have a buy back option.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at i.e. this is a pretty great piece of business by Liverpool - a better deal for Liverpool than it is for Sheffield United. Liverpool get an inflated fee right now for a very unproven player but if he does come good, Liverpool have a buyback which is most likely going to be below market value in such a case. And if he turns out to be no better than Solanke, Liverpool can still pocket a few extra million if SU decide to offload him.

23.5M£ is a pretty good price for Brewster. I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Solanke because Solanke's development as a player was clearly stunted during his period at Liverpool while Brewster's career so far hasn't had a period like that.

It's a risk that Sheffield Utd is taking but the potential payout could be great. The tricky part will be developing Brewster and letting him grow instead of just saying "we paid 23.5M£ for you, now go and score goals" and throwing him at the deep end. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brewster scored 10 league goals this season, maybe even 15. I'm not saying he'll certainly do it but he has the potential to do it. If he does manage that, than he'd be worth that money and then some.

I would've liked seeing him break into Liverpool's squad rotation this season but I guess Klopp either decided he's not that close to the level required to do that or that the club would need that money more than another youngster in the squad.

I’ll admit that it’s a good deal for Liverpool because the fee is good for a player with so little senior experience, while still holding the buy-back and sell-on clauses that you would expect for speculative potential.  Either aspect seems reasonable, but getting both is a strong deal for us.  But why would we let him go otherwise?

I think that just points to supply and demand.  Goals are very valuable and strikers who have been developed in top academies are rare.  How much would Tammy Abraham have cost a year ago?  How much would Greenwood cost now with very limited senior experience including some relatively easy fixtures, no competition for his spot and the team in a temporary purple patch?

If United fans are jealous that we got such a good deal, then go ahead and put Greenwood up for sale.  No club wants to lose a high potential homegrown player, especially for such an impactful position.  We’ll never know if he could have been developed better at Anfield, but the club is clearly not thrilled that serial loans don’t include a commitment to development — look at Woodburn and Wilson.

I dunno what world you live in when you read consigliere's comments as 'being jealous we got a good deal'

As an aside, I totally forgot Chelsea bought bakayoko and that he somehow went to AC milan, then to Monaco and now is back at chelsea again?

Archived