US politics : clowns want their money back

Rippounet

34 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

...actually I guess The Village People did, so there is one example of a good boy band I guess. Maybe they can re-form and re-name, and maybe even remix their greatest hits.

The Village People were formed in 1978. Felipe Rose, their youngest member, turned 24 that year. Randy Jones was 26, Glen Hughes was 28, and Alex Briley and David Hodo were both 31.

More importantly, the characters they were said to personify (Native American warrior, construction worker, cowboy, soldier/sailor, and leatherman) were definitely all portrayed as being beyond high school age. At least when they begin their careers, real "Boy Bands" are supposed to be seen as appropriate swoon objects for junior high school girls. 

So I really don't think one should call The Village People a "boy band". :)

41 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

My friend just commented to me that 'Proud Boys' sounds like the name of a boy band.

I think it sounds like the name of a Nazi youth group. Original, I mean. 

6 minutes ago, Ormond said:

The Village People were formed in 1978. Felipe Rose, their youngest member, turned 24 that year. Randy Jones was 26, Glen Hughes was 28, and Alex Briley and David Hodo were both 31.

More importantly, the characters they were said to personify (Native American warrior, construction worker, cowboy, soldier/sailor, and leatherman) were definitely all portrayed as being beyond high school age. At least when they begin their careers, real "Boy Bands" are supposed to be seen as appropriate swoon objects for junior high school girls. 

So I really don't think one should call The Village People a "boy band". :)

definitely came off as manly and audience was not teen aged girls!

6 minutes ago, Wethers said:

On a lighter (meatier?) note:

Wisconsin GOP tries to stop Racing Sausages from promoting civic participation

Ok nothing about vote suppression is funny, but I admit the absurdity of it all made me smile.

The sausages should turn up at court in their outfits.

Forwarded forewarded forewarded forewarded etc. from somebody's FB page put up by a Black woman (myself don't do FB at all, no account etc. and never have):

"Trump is nothing more than a broke father of five kids by three different women, living in public housing."

56 minutes ago, Wethers said:

On a lighter (meatier?) note:

Wisconsin GOP tries to stop Racing Sausages from promoting civic participation

Ok nothing about vote suppression is funny, but I admit the absurdity of it all made me smile.

So it's actually a legit fear of the right that if everyone voted they'd never get in power again and so the only way to keep getting in power is to stop people from voting. Now that is a commitment to of the people, buy the people, for the people.

oops did I say buy? I meant by.

1 hour ago, Castellan said:

I think it sounds like the name of a Nazi youth group. Original, I mean. 

Though the correct name for such a group should be the lost boys. Though that would somewhat ruin a movie I liked a lot. I just hate the idea that pride can be allowed to be associated with any kind of bigotry.

57 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I just hate the idea that pride can be allowed to be associated with any kind of bigotry.

ummm isn't it routinely? proud to be Australian. proud to be American. Proud to be in this particular high school.

RE Madison voting event - the report said it was collected by a polling official so if whatever you call your electoral office (possible electoral office) must be cooperating. It was open to everyone.

Just now, DMC said:

Uh, never said they did, you're the one that implied they did there buddy.

I'm pretty sure you're the one who implied that they mattered and those things wouldn't be a problem in places like Wisconsin, pal

They do matter, guy.  But I never said they could prevent anyone from suing, or what the courts decide.  BTW, the GOP isn't even suing yet in this case, probably because they realize they have no case:

Separately, the state Republican Party recruited volunteers to observe last Saturday's event. So far, they have not seen a reason to bring a lawsuit of their own, said Andrew Hitt, the party's chairman.

"As long as they follow those rules we will not be going to court on that," Hitt said Wednesday. "But I’ll tell you I had a litigation team in place and ready on Saturday to take whatever facts and evidence that election observers had and called in with. And we would have been ready to be in court seeking an injunction within minutes, certainly within an hour, of any widespread violations of the law. We obviously didn’t see that. We didn’t file an action."

Republicans will be watching this Saturday's event as well, he said.

Just now, DMC said:

They do matter, guy.  But I never said they could prevent anyone from suing, or what the courts decide.  BTW, the GOP isn't even suing yet in this case, probably because they realize they have no case:

Then why did you say that most of my list wasn't feasible because of a Democrat governor and SoS, friend? Especially when I pointed out that the SoS can only do what the law permits, and if the law doesn't permit things like, well, these kinds of events, they'll have to do what the courts and legislatures decide?

Maybe I made my point inartfully, but my point was that a lot of these laws are already on the books. You don't have to have a governor veto them or pass new laws - you simply have the courts already enforce the shitty things that do exist. We've already seen said shittiness in places like Michigan where the courts struck down that Michigan governor's stay at home order, as an example. More of that is going to come. 

10 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

Then why did you say that most of my list wasn't feasible because of a Democrat governor and SoS, friend?

10 hours ago, Kalibear said:

They'll be trying to do all sorts of things:

• Stopping counting of ballots after a certain point (they're already attempting to put that into law)
  • Discarding votes for as many reasons as possible - no security folder, bad signature, postmarks for whatever reason, collection at ballot boxes, lack of clear intent, whatever they can
  • Blocking people from voting - removal of polling places, removal of drop boxes, actual physical intimidation
  • Blocking people from registering - closing of DMVs, closing of other areas that allow registration
  • Blocking people from changing their address - this is already happening, and 1.5 million changes in address were not processed when they should have been
  • Blocking absentee ballots from being sent out at all
  • Lots of FUD - telling people that it's illegal for them to vote, robocall harassment, as much disinformation as possible, telling people who won on the night of before places close
  • Possibly things like martial law due to covid or protesting or other things delaying or stopping the vote in key areas - I would expect this to be tried in Philadelphia, for instance, with a similar playbook to what they did in Portland. 

Because all of the bolded can be at least combatted when you have a Democratic Governor and SoS - and considering the state legislatures don't have any ability to pass a law to change the executives' choices on these, which they should have started initiating before now if they were planning on doing that, btw, then the courts aren't going to matter in any of these things.  What you're referring to is Madison making it unprecedentedly easier for voters to drop off absentee ballots and the GOP whining about it but at least so far not even going to court on it.  If anything, the instance supports my argument.  Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

Maybe I made my point inartfully, but my point was that a lot of these laws are already on the books. You don't have to have a governor veto them or pass new laws

What laws?  What the hell does the Whitmer case have to do with it?

Archived