US politics : clowns want their money back

Rippounet

Meh. I'll be that guy. Trump testing positive now may also be ideal for him. He gets out of the next debates (yeah, he can possibly cancel both), which is a plus for him (no one will seriously claim it isn't) and he'll "recover" right in time for the election itself, thus claiming Covid is nothing to be afraid of and/or that he's a tough guy. Big bonuses all the way.

Point is, this may not be true ; more like a strategy by his team to avoid a disastrous second debate (with different rules and/or a competent moderator).

That market will jump back up 1000 points as soon as it's announced his symptoms are mild and he's heroically still working, but with social distancing and close medical monitoring.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Not really.  Getting covid makes him look weak - even if he recovers or "remains" asymptomatic.  Trump does not like looking weak.

Only Trump would think Trump getting COVID makes him look weak, no one else does, except for maybe the loonies who are already in the bag for him regardless, and I'm sure his team of handlers could convince him it doesn't when people see images of him stoically continue to work in isolation.

No doubt QAnon is going to say the deep state, or China gave him the virus. Or infected Hicks with a very contagious strain of it to pass it on to Trump.

The main argument against Trump agreeing to such a conspiracy is that he's deluded enough to think he kicked Biden's arse in the debate and is rearing for round 2.

Anyway, who's to say Trump would even need to be in on it? If you are going to fake such a thing then Trump would be the worst co-conspirator. It would be best to achieve the conspiracy with him staying well and truly in the dark.

2 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Meh. I'll be that guy. Trump testing positive now may also be ideal for him. He gets out of the next debates (yeah, he can possibly cancel both), which is a plus for him (no one will seriously claim it isn't) and he'll "recover" right in time for the election itself, thus claiming Covid is nothing to be afraid of and/or that he's a tough guy. Big bonuses all the way.

Point is, this may not be true ; more like a strategy by his team to avoid a disastrous second debate (with different rules and/or a competent moderator).

A bit late to the party bud.

3 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

The debates can still be held remotely just like everything else these days.

Yeah do it on zoom. At least Trump can be muted when not his turn to speak.

Hope the Whitehouse doctors have ample supplies of bleach to treat it

7 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'm sure his team of handlers could convince him it doesn't when people see images of him stoically continue to work in isolation.

Regardless of the fact no political operative - even Trump's - is going to be like "hey, we should give our guy a pandemic virus to get out of debates," this assumes his handlers could keep such a conspiracy quiet.  The past four years of leaks demonstrate that's incredibly unlikely.

Just now, ThinkerX said:

Do you have enough booze on hand to endure that process?  And is your liver up to it?

I do not have enough booze on hand, no, but my liver has proven time and again it's as clutch as they come.

Huh, I was actually thinking to myself that we may be in for a William Henry Harrison situation just the other day, but it is kind of spoiled if Trump or Biden die before the election.

I will say that I am worried that Biden might have gotten it. It isn't so much whether he got any closer to Trump that he did on the debate stage, but also how many people did they mutually come into close contact with?

It is pretty funny to see the pearl clutching from conservative folks on twitter whining about the left celebrating that Trump got Covid, to that I say, go find a safespace you snow flakes. Here are a few of my favorite reactions.

25 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

The paranoia is off the charts on this thread.

Arent you the person who believes that you must have a fully automatic weapon with multiple magazines in your home because you're afraid of many people invading your home at once?

Just now, GrimTuesday said:

It isn't so much whether he got any closer to Trump that he did on the debate stage, but also how many people did they mutually come into close contact with?

Of course - and have you seen the list of people who were on Air Force One with Hicks and Trump?  It's like 25 people, and they're necessarily in close proximity on that plane.  Meadows just said he tested negative.  Hopefully with polarization there was very limited contact between Trump and Biden's camp.  But then there's always that shifty Wallace.

I think there is practically speaking a minimum of 4 people needed to carry out such a conspiracy, and it 100% doesn't need to involve Trump. 2 people to come up with the idea and plan it, Hope Hicks and the person taking the swabs. The person taking the swabs is the potential exposure risk for the conspiracy, so they either have to be a true believer or corruptible enough to be paid off. Either type of person can probably be found. Hope is infected, that is the key thing. Trump gets swabbed and then those swabs are shoved up Hick's nose and down her throat immediately after and thus Trump's official swab comes back apparently legitimately positive. It is possible to get some virus from a lab, but that means more people in the conspiracy. The thing with this formulation of the conspiracy is it has to be totally opportunistic, because if Hicks doesn't get infected there is no conspiracy. Another aide could get infected and they could be on the conspiracy, but it still requires an event that is not withing the control of the conspiracy. I don't think there are any people in Trump's inner circle who are crazy enough to deliberately go out and try to get infected and for that to all this soon after the debate. It's not that opportunistic conspiracies can't happen, but they are not so likely.

There may be other options to fake it without Trump knowing. Including just faking the test result after swabbing Trump (that way Hicks doesn't even need to be infected, as she can also fake her test result, or they can fake her result to be positive so even she thinks she gave trump the infection). The upside of Trump thinking he's infected but feeling as fit as a fiddle because he actually isn't is that he becomes even more confident in his own greatness. He beat the virus without even feeling it (much better than Boris).

I'm sure there is a good movie script in here somewhere.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think there is practically speaking a minimum of 4 people needed to carry out such a conspiracy, and it 100% doesn't need to involve Trump. 2 people to come up with the idea and plan it, Hope Hicks and the person taking the swabs. The person taking the swabs is the potential exposure risk for the conspiracy, so they either have to be a true believer or corruptible enough to be paid off. Either type of person can probably be found. Hope is infected, that is the key thing. Trump gets swabbed and then those swabs are shoved up Hick's nose and down her throat immediately after and thus Trump's official swab comes back apparently legitimately positive. It is possible to get some virus from a lab, but that means more people in the conspiracy. The thing with this formulation of the conspiracy is it has to be totally opportunistic, because if Hicks doesn't get infected there is no conspiracy. Another aide could get infected and they could be on the conspiracy, but it still requires an event that is not withing the control of the conspiracy. I don't think there are any people in Trump's inner circle who are crazy enough to deliberately go out and try to get infected and for that to all this soon after the debate. It's not that opportunistic conspiracies can't happen, but they are not so likely.

Of course, never say never.  But this sounds like you're eating cheetos in your basement.

7 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

Arent you the person who believes that you must have a fully automatic weapon with multiple magazines in your home because you're afraid of many people invading your home at once?

I'm certain I remember the much publicized death of someone being suggested as a false flag by someone in this thread.

Archived