US politics : clowns want their money back

Rippounet

1 minute ago, Leap said:

1. Here in the UK, BoJo got a pretty hefty popularity boost from getting (and surviving) the virus. It was fairly short term, but to be honest the country really came together for a time during and after. Relative to the US, that is. Boris obviously wasn't faking it, and Trump might well get this benefit too. So this is a worry regardless of whether it's fake, really. 

Worth pointing out that I think timing here is different. Boris got the virus pretty early on, and it tied into what was perceived to be a bit of a change of strategy from him. I think him catching it allowed more stringent measures to be undertaken and got more backing. 

It's also worth noting that his popularity has dropped massively since that point, you could even suggest he hasn't actually managed to recover properly from the virus. 

3 minutes ago, Leap said:

1. Here in the UK, BoJo got a pretty hefty popularity boost from getting (and surviving) the virus. It was fairly short term, but to be honest the country really came together for a time during and after. Relative to the US, that is. Boris obviously wasn't faking it, and Trump might well get this benefit too. So this is a worry regardless of whether it's fake, really. 

Bolsonaro also got a boost after he recovered.  However, if Trump is hospitalized like BoJo was, I don't see how this is possibly gonna help Trump.  There will be talk of the 25th Amendment likely even among Republicans, and that is just simply not good for any candidate this close to his reelection (not to mention how many people will already be voting in the next 30 days).  If he recovers quickly - and btw if he's not hospitalized I fully expect him to maintain he's asymptomatic even if he's not - then yes I could see some upside.  But there's also plenty of obvious potential downside as well.  It's a faulty comparison to both BoJo and Bolsonaro due obviously to the proximity of the election, but a host of other reasons including his rhetoric on covid, how bad he polls on covid (which is why he's always trying to change the subject from it), and the difference in the American public's attitudes on Trump vis-a-vis BoJo and Bolsonaro.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That's why is has to be fake. Or is it being fake the obvious plotline? It's genuine, but everyone believes it fake?

Jeez, anyone would think POTUS is necessary for BAU to happen in the USA or for the military to actually function. As long as my conspiracy model is plausible then this happening is completely consistent with it being a conspiracy limited to a very small number of people.

The military takes these things seriously. There are very old plans to ensure that the chain of command is never lost and stays clear. Given that Pence could also become unavailable, the plans might be activated. I'd think that watching out for Pelosi and the others can be the strongest indication of something going on.

20 minutes ago, Leap said:

That's true, but I don't really see why the same effect still couldn't apply to Trump - he could get sympathy votes, he could say something Presidential, he could have a good debate against Biden. 

Boris' popularity has dropped massively, thank God, but not in that first month, which is how long there is until the US Election.

Besides, Boris' popularity went up nearly 20% after he survived Covid. Trump wouldn't even have to half that to win the election

Not sure it did give Boris too much of a lift either 

4 minutes ago, Leap said:

@DMC, I completely agree that for many of the reasons you stated, this could have a different effect on Trump than it did on BoJo. What worries me is that these aren't all necessarily bad for Trump

I agree that the fact there's even potential for upside for Trump on this really sucks, but I think the potential downsides far outweigh that overall.  The only thing we know for sure right now is this sidelines Trump for at least two weeks - or about half of the remainder of the campaign - which not only prevents him from his beloved rallies, but also limits his ability to fundraise in person.  Both of these are objectively negative effects on his campaign (albeit how much is certainly arguable).  

1 hour ago, Leap said:

Alright, I'll admit that the "it's a conspiracy" angle is where my mind went first with this. I've read a lot of reassuring takes, but I retain some scepticism/devil's advocacy, and here's why:

Evidence? I don't think he did - his popularity has just kept on sinking. Can you cite any polls showing a short-term boost.

edit: Oops, just realised it was pointed out above that there was no evidence for this.

Anyway, I can't see this election ending well for Trump and the repubs. They are too far behind, the polls are worse for them than in 2016 and they are very unlikely to be less accurate, which they would need to be. Also, views are very entrenched so not much scope for movement. 

The results would have to be pretty close to try and hang on with the mail voting line and if Trump is ill he isn't going to have the energy to do that.

3 minutes ago, Leap said:

You can see the poll I linked three posts up. Pretty rude to acknowledge the preceding comment as if I hadn't responded at all.

Well shoot, I need to go to Barnard Castle to test my eyes. 

4 minutes ago, Leap said:

Eh. To be honest, I agree. In a fit of optimism I even placed a bet on Trump to get less than 40% of the popular vote. But I think after 4 years of steadily increasing chaos it's understandable to not really believe the evidence of your eyes and ears

I think this is it. All the evidence points to a pretty nasty defeat for Trump but many, especially here, are a bit traumatised by the preceding 4 years and don't want to put their faith in the scenario that is overwhelmingly likely from all polling data; Trump is going to lose and lose badly enough he won't be able to hang on through legal challenges or any weird goings on.

Like the UK election in 2019. All the evidence told us Corbyn was going down in flames but because of the experience of 2017 people didn't believe it until it happened. But the clues were there flashing bright neon all the time. 

I read somewhere on the internet that Trump could claim his 'recovery', presuming he was symptomatic was fueled by HCQ (or whatever cure he wants to concoct on the toilet seat during his quarantine). Thats the only way I can see him get some votes, otherwise partisanship will pretty much fuel everyone's reactions to this  - I think the right wingers are still trying to craft their response to this, but give them time.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Of course - and have you seen the list of people who were on Air Force One with Hicks and Trump?  It's like 25 people, and they're necessarily in close proximity on that plane.  Meadows just said he tested negative.  Hopefully with polarization there was very limited contact between Trump and Biden's camp.  But then there's always that shifty Wallace.

Meadows will need to get tested again. Everyone will. We simply don't know the timeline yet for when Trump/Hope would've become infectious, and if it was only in the past day or two anyone they infected wouldn't necessarily show up as positive yet.

And yeah, there's a huge risk Biden, or any number of people in the audience, got infected too. The relative potential for chaos is kinda off the charts right now.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Meadows will need to get tested again.

Certainly.  I literally was just writing down anything of note I was hearing on the TV at the time.

Hoping to hear from the Biden camp by 9 or so or else Imma start getting worried.  ETA:  Just heard Biden will get tested this morning.  K...

4 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

Yes, it's an strong indication that something serious is going on. Where's Pence and the rest of the chain of command?

This is much ado about mostly nothing.

5 hours ago, Kalibear said:

Arent you the person who believes that you must have a fully automatic weapon with multiple magazines in your home because you're afraid of many people invading your home at once?

Also, he's the guy that says he needs a gun on him at all times because someone might punch him, so he needs equal force.

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Maybe he infected Barrett on Saturday? :ph34r:

Or Meadows infected Barrett throughout the week while meeting with Senate GOP leaders, and in turn infected them...

Seriously, very strong possibility this throws a wrench into confirmation hearings and the timing of her confirmation even if everyone is cleared, which hasn't been mentioned here yet.

On the conspiracy front, keep in mind that none of this was voluntarily disclosed. Trump went to a fundraiser last night AFTER Hicks' positive test result came back. If it wasn't for Bloomberg reporting blowing this up, we still wouldn't know about Trump's diagnosis. A conspiracy to garner to sympathy doesn't work if no one knows about it.

Also, there's always the risk of the media framing it like this:

That's not a good look for Trump.

Archived