US politics : clowns want their money back

Rippounet

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Maybe he infected Barrett on Saturday? :ph34r:

Meadows still has the potential to have given it to numerous Senators. He's tested negative, but it can take a few days to get a positive test. 

ETA" Damn you DMC :ninja:

50 minutes ago, DMC said:

Certainly.  I literally was just writing down anything of note I was hearing on the TV at the time.

Hoping to hear from the Biden camp by 9 or so or else Imma start getting worried.  ETA:  Just heard Biden will get tested this morning.  K...

Of course, even a Biden negative test wouldn't mean anything just yet. And if this news is right (and not a coincidence):

...there's a good chance Trump was infectious during the debate. I sure hope there were UV lights in that room.

Pence has announced a negative test this morning, although he likewise isn't out of the woods.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Or Meadows infected Barrett throughout the week while meeting with Senate GOP leaders, and in turn infected them...

Seriously, very strong possibility this throws a wrench into confirmation hearings and the timing of her confirmation even if everyone is cleared, which hasn't been mentioned here yet.

Nice, a superspreading event at the White House and the Capitol?

for a fantasy message board, the conspiracism is insufficiently insane.  the bigliest conspiracy would be that the president knowingly self-infected in order to expose biden and thereby ensure his own re-election.  or a cabal of qanon patriots decides to infect the president secretly as a suicide attack on the deep state champion.   the china virus sends its regards, sleepy joe.

hope that the President's illness comes to a swift resolution and that he has no more health problems for the rest of his life.

quite.  his ideas require conclusive refutation, rather than their primary adherents' mere incidental decease.

GUARD PELOSI, dammit all, GUARD PELOSI!

I was looking at the pictures of the debate and they were pretty far apart, at least 10 feet, maybe 15 feet.

Ironically, only one item has been left on Trump’s schedule today, a call with vulnerable seniors. Lol!

3 minutes ago, sologdin said:

the bigliest conspiracy would be that the president knowingly self-infected in order to expose biden and thereby enaure his own re-election.

Yep.  Not only that, but the video of his entire family not wearing masks during the debate is because they all self-infected in order to expose Biden and kill him.  And of course, they have the vaccine and just aren't sharing it, so no risk to themselves.  And, it's not just covid, but super-covid that basically ensures death without the vaccine only they have - similar to Super AIDS:

2 minutes ago, sologdin said:

for a fantasy message board, the conspiracism is insufficiently insane.  the bigliest conspiracy would be that the president knowingly self-infected in order to expose biden and thereby enaure his own re-election.  or a cabal of qanon patriots decides to infect the president secretly as a suicide attack on the deep state champion.   the china virus sends its regards, sleepy joe.

Honestly, Trump lies so much the idea that it’s a lie popped up in my head and still won’t go away. He’s a liar, through and through. The boy who called wolf.

The boy who called wolf.

true enough, but am gonna re-urge something i wrote in these threads back when this stuff fired up initially, but applying a fortiori in the president's case--

the plague has always been and must always be hostis humani generis, even for those who appear to be traitors to humanity on its behalf.

it is a kantian moment; his illness tests our adherence to principled sense and decency.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

In what might have otherwise been the big news for the day, 

the jobs report is out and it's not good. The economic recovery is slowing down dramatically.

Was just getting ready to post this. Not a good report at all. 

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Could some of our religious posters lead us in a prayer that this evil man NOT make a quick recovery.

Jesus (if he was real) would not want this man in control of our country, of that I'm certain.

As a religious liberal Christian, I just have to say NO to the above.

I agree Jesus would not want Trump to be running any country. But He would also certainly not want that problem "fixed" by wishing death on Trump. He would want conversion of hearts and minds, if not of Trump himself enough of the Americans who support him, to fix this.

I don't know how much of it is my religiousness or how much other aspects of my personality, but I am finding it surprisingly easy to pray for Trump's recovery this morning, way more so than I would have predicted if someone had asked me about what my response to such news would have been 24 hours ago. Of course the country as a whole needs prayers way more than Trump does.

On other points -- I actually looked at "Fox and Friends" for two minutes this morning, something I have not done in years, to see how they were spinning this. In the two minutes I could stand, I heard two of the talking points Trump followers are using:

1. 99.5% of people recover, and when Trump recovers this will show that Covid-19 really isn't anything to worry about and he is right to say it's way overblown.

2.  Posts on social media wishing death on Trump or even just saying "I told you so" show that the left are the real dangerous "haters" in society and show that Trump is the real victim in our political situation.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Also, just to keep in mind, the last jobs report before the election.

Under normal circumstances this would pressure Senate Republicans to deal. Now...who fucking knows?

Just now, The Great Unwashed said:

Under normal circumstances this would pressure Senate Republicans to deal. Now...who fucking knows?

Senate Republicans won't cut a deal without Trump's blessing, and I doubt Trump will be focused on this right now. He already wasn't. Only way I see a deal happening is if Trump gets so ill that Pence officially becomes Acting President and he decides to cut a deal. Although if that happened, Senate Republicans might not listen to him since he doesn't command the base's support the way Trump does (yet, anyway).

Ormund I can understand why you might feel uncomfortable with the idea of praying for ill health for him, but surely you could just leave his fate in God's judgement? Or don't single him out for special prayer any more than anyone else with covid that you don't know (I'm sure you are praying for those fighting it collectively), why the need to actively single out such a hateful man above all those other victims in your appeal for God's intercession?

I'm not sure if this is my atheism showing or my non-Americanness with the lack of and reverence for political leaders beyond what their behaviour commands.

On the conspiracy front surely we can do better than the simple Trump ones, Pence did it to knock Donnie off and claim the presidency for himself at least adds another party/layer of complexity.

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

Pence did it to knock Donnie off and claim the presidency for himself at least adds another party/layer of complexity.

Isn't that basically just a House of Cards plot?

Just now, DMC said:

Isn't that basically just a House of Cards plot?

I've never watched it lol. That was just meant to be a starting point though, we need a grand unified hicks-cluster conspiracy theory.

It's a master stroke of Bernie's to take out all opposition and then he'll stroll in with an army of... What wild animals are associated with Vermont?

9 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Ormund I can understand why you might feel uncomfortable with the idea of praying for ill health fire him, but surely you could just leave his fate in God's judgement? Or don't single him out for special prayer any more than anyone else with covid that you don't know (I'm sure you are praying for those fighting it collectively), why the need to actively single out such a hateful man above all those other victims in your appeal for God's intercession?

I'm not sure if this is my atheism showing or my non-Americanness with the lack of and reverence for political leaders beyond what their behaviour commands.

On the conspiracy front surely we can do better than the simple Trump ones, Pence did it to knock Donnie off and claim the presidency for himself at least adds another party/layer of complexity.

I don't know about Christians in other countries, but it is quite traditional for Christians in the USA and the UK to pray for their heads of state as part of church services. I know that the official Episcopal service in the Book of Common Prayer  in the USA quite specifically include praying for the President as well as the governor of one's state and the mayor of one's city -- by name, not just title.  

Personally, I pray for lots of people by name who I know are ill. Prayers in services at my Presbyterian church always include prayers for specific people who are ill, by name, and these are often friends or relatives of people in the congregation who few of us know personally. So I don't think my praying for Trump by name is singling him out as being "special" any more than my praying for these other people I don't know personally by name is. 

P.S. And of course one of Jesus's commands to Christians was to "pray for those who persecute you." So I think Jesus would definitely want us to pray for political leaders we think are acting in evil ways.

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

It's a master stroke of Bernie's to take out all opposition and then he'll stroll in with an army of... What wild animals are associated with Vermont?

I dunno, but google says the state mammal is the Morgan horse, whatever that means.  Bernie spreading it to Trump, Pence, Biden, Trump's staff, and therefore Barrett and the Senate GOP leadership is compelling though, give ya that.  I suppose thereby making a deal with Pelosi.  Trying to think what wild animals should be associated with Bernie.  Simply horses doesn't seem very cool.

Archived