Why do so many people think that Jon and Val will be a thing?

Alyn Oakenfist

So there is clearly chemistry between them and Jon's vows do end when he dies, but I always took their chemistry to be platonic in nature. So why do so many people take it as a fact that they'll smash? Is it just a mild case of baseless shipping (I say mild because weirdly it's an incest-less ship) or is there more to it?

I don't think it'll happen, but I see why some people may think that, Jon does find her attractive, they do have chemistry and the idea of marriage between them has been brought up by the text. The thing that would convince me of it tho is Jon's arc, I believe it's clearly pointing at him being the king of the freefolk and marrying her would make sense in that context, tho not much.

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

(I say mild because weirdly it's an incest-less ship)

The worst place for ASOIAF theories there is and ever will be is a youtube channel called the order of the green hand, and they are convinced that Jon and Val are twins, and if I'm not mistaken they still ship them? I don't know it's a piece of shit channel, I just wanted to hate on them for a bit.

6 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Why? Just why?

I think their main "evidence" was that she looks like she belongs with Ghost, and something like Rhaegar going to the wall and taking his daughter with him or some thing. The worst thing is how sure they are about it.

Maybe it's because many of us were traumatized by the lack of chemistry between Dany and Jon on the show. 

He is attracted to Val, but I don't know if she is attracted to him, at least for me it seems not. Jon being attracted to Val makes me think even more that he will also be attracted to Dany, unfortunately. 

Jon's vows do not end if he comes back to life.  The spirit of the vow means the person is obligated to the NW until they can no longer carry out their duties.  Can no longer carry out their duties is not the same as "unwilling to do their duty."  Now, if Jon were to remain a direwolf, yes, that would end the vows.  If he comes back as a wight and stays a wight, yes, that ends the vows.

The wildlings are strange but Val is not going to be attracted to a walking ice pole.  And a wightified Jon is not going to be attracted to Val.  Arya was the last thing on his mind.  His reanimated body will go looking for her. 

33 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Now, if Jon were to remain a direwolf, yes, that would end the vows.  If he comes back as a wight and stays a wight, yes, that ends the vows.

The wildlings are strange but Val is not going to be attracted to a walking ice pole.  And a wightified Jon is not going to be attracted to Val.  Arya was the last thing on his mind.  His reanimated body will go looking for her. 

Small mistake there. This is presuming that Jon comes back in one of the only 2 forms we know of yet, ie wight or Rhllor resurrection, both of which, at the best of times, leave the formerly deceased as a bit of a hollow shell, driven by his last thoughts in the previous life. However Jon is not dead, or at least his mind and soul aren't. They're in Ghost, that much is clear. His quote unquote resurrection (I still have no idea what it will actually mean, mind you) will be more a matter of transferring him into his former body, thus being the first true, total resurrection. And the vows are quite specific, "it shall not end until my death". Jon's death has already happened

You don't see Jon possibly giving her his seed... and his soul?  If he's to become some sort of Night King she'd be a perfect candidate to be his queen.  I don't have the gift for prophesy that so many readers seem to, but if he walks that path- and he appears to be flirting with it at times knowingly or not - someone's presumably going to play that queen role. I don't see him hooking up with Selyse in a post Stannis scenario.

1 minute ago, Mordred said:

So many people think his huh.  That's very subjective.  I don't think that.  Jon and the other Starks will die.  Become direwolves in their second lives.  Val is not a warg.  She just fades away after she dies. 

I've seen this suggested before, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  How many chapters are people really going to read about a pack of wolves forgetting that they used to be people?  Think the reaction to the TV show's ending was harsh?  I dunno, you could be right, but it would be something for GRRM to pull off and keep the story engaging at the same time.

7 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

The worst place for ASOIAF theories there is and ever will be is a youtube channel called the order of the green hand, and they are convinced that Jon and Val are twins, and if I'm not mistaken they still ship them? I don't know it's a piece of shit channel, I just wanted to hate on them for a bit.

Oh, sweet summer child...

IMHO this channel is probably THE best out there. I totally dig most of their theories incl. Jon/Val twins. (I simply cannot help not to love a channel who made a series called "Why Catelyn sucks") :bowdown:

3 minutes ago, PrettyLittlePsycho said:

Oh, sweet summer child...

IMHO this channel is probably THE best out there. I totally dig most of their theories incl. Jon/Val twins. (I simply cannot help not to love a channel who made a series called "Why Catelyn sucks") :bowdown:

Most of their theories have little to no evidence and even their cat series (which, I don't like Cat) is way to unfair on her, also, they come across as really pedantic and dickish

Archived