Why do so many people think that Jon and Val will be a thing?

Alyn Oakenfist

Life North of the Wall, is nasty, brutish, and short, for most people.  In a sense, it's more meritocratic than South of the Wall, but only in the sense that the best killer is the one in charge.  

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Life North of the Wall, is nasty, brutish, and short, for most people.  In a sense, it's more meritocratic than South of the Wall, but only in the sense that the best killer is the one in charge.  

I agree completely. But I also think the wildlings will have to evolve while keeping some of the things that make them wildlings by the end of the novel. 

Otherwise it would feel like a tragedy for them. Hell, I completely expect a lot of the wildlings to stays in the lands of the gift and near the wall permanently and for that they need to be able to keep some truce with the north... 

3 hours ago, Springwatch said:

One big difference is that parents tend to love their offspring, so mostly reject the 'worst' matches.

Another difference is that weddings are public, embedded in society. An abused bride will be noticed. Her neglectful parents will, at least by some, be looked down on.

The wildling system has no sympathy for abused women: Ygritte suggests they must deal with an abusive partner alone - kill them and escape. Well, that might be ok for spearwives - I can see the system working for them. And obviously it works when the couple already like each other. For the rest - it's just a licence for kidnappers and rapists and warlords.

While I do agree with the Free Folk, even if Tormund clearly told Munda's husband that he will kill him if he hurt her, the awful truth is that the nobles are awful to their daughters and they marry them off to husbands without much caring. Hoster didn’t cared about Lysa’s feelings, Naerys wept on her wedding, Joyeuse was given away to 90 years old Walder, everyone knew how awful of a husband Genna would have. There are very few women who were lucky, in the Westerosi society, to have a loving parent who cares about who she wants to marry and if she has a good life in that marriage.

Melisandre doesn't expect wildling culture to survive ... and I think she is right there. Most wildlings who aren't south of the Wall right now are likely to become wights whereas Tormund's people and the others are clearly set up to become cannon fodder for the war of the Seven Kingdoms against the Others ... and possibly also for their other petty squabbles in the North before the Others come.

They are very likely to suffer the worst casualties in the coming fighting, and if the Wall is destroyed then the Seven Kingdoms will inevitably extend their power and way of life north of where once stood the Wall ... especially if the freak seasons are over and the Others no longer a thing.

Then there will no place for primitive societies anywhere in Westeros. Not for 'wildlings' and, of course, not for the Children of the Forests, the giants, etc.

Daenerys can save the wildlings. She is the only one who would accept them and protect them. Those south of the wall would always be hated and persecuted. There are reasons to believe that Braavos will enslave the wildlings from Hardhome and ship them to Essos. Dany could come into contact with the slaves from Westeros, contributing to fuel her  anti-slavery cause when she lands there.

1 hour ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

didn’t cared about Lysa’s feelings, Naerys wept on her wedding, Joyeuse was given away to 90 years old Walder, everyone knew how awful of a husband Genna would have.

I don't see how pointing out some examples gor the 10th time foes change the value of your opinion.

As a woman (I suppose, sorry if you're not), could you love someone that raped you, or at least accept it? The woman of the free folk doesn't, and kill the man they don't.

On the other hand, abusive noble husbands aren't the rule. Pointing out a few of bad examples doesn't change that. Mentioning some good examples will change your opinion, or what?

Just a simple question. What do you think was a better option to Lyanna: Being kidnapped by Rhaegar (assuming she was kidnapped) or being given to Robert? And there is no 3rd option.

Also: Wildling culture survived beyond the Wall because there is no social categorizing. What do you suggest? A lord should have no word against a peasant or anyone kidnapping his daughter?

1 minute ago, Lord Varys said:

Melisandre doesn't expect wildling culture to survive ... and I think she is right there. Most wildlings who aren't south of the Wall right now are likely to become wights whereas Tormund's people and the others are clearly set up to become cannon fodder for the war of the Seven Kingdoms against the Others ... and possibly also for their other petty squabbles in the North before the Others come.

They are very likely to suffer the worst casualties in the coming fighting, and if the Wall is destroyed then the Seven Kingdoms will inevitably extend their power and way of life north of where once stood the Wall ... especially if the freak seasons are over and the Others no longer a thing.

Then there will no place for primitive societies anywhere in Westeros. Not for 'wildlings' and, of course, not for the Children of the Forests, the giants, etc.

I think you are forgeting that mance gathered 100K wildlings. While we know that around 10K are in hardhome there are only around 5K south of the wall. If 50k wildlings end up apearing it is hard to say that their culture is going to disapear. 

Another important thing is that it is very probable that the north will separate from the 7 kingdoms. So it makes sense to have the magic and creatures related to the old gods living pretty well north of the neck.

My opinion is that after the long night the north will be a misture of northmen, clansmen, wildlings, ironborn all traumatized by lots of war. The north will become more savage instead of civilized. The civilized people in the north will be long dead by the end of the saga...

11 minutes ago, divica said:

I think you are forgeting that mance gathered 100K wildlings. While we know that around 10K are in hardhome there are only around 5K south of the wall. If 50k wildlings end up apearing it is hard to say that their culture is going to disapear. 

The Weeper is going to appear with the thousands he gathered. But he is no weakling like Tormund. He won't bend the knee, he'll invade and then the Northmen will have to kill him and his people. The Hardhome fellows and the others are likely to fall prey to the Others. They do have to have a considerable number of wights to actually be a danger.

Another important thing is that it is very probable that the north will separate from the 7 kingdoms. So it makes sense to have the magic and creatures related to the old gods living pretty well north of the neck.

That's actually not very likely ... but even if it was. The Northmen have basically the same feudal culture as the people in the south. They will quickly claim all the 'free lands' north of the destroyed Wall if they can easily conquer those place - which they could. Even more so since their way of life does not suffer neighbors who routinely raid their lands and steal their women.

My opinion is that after the long night the north will be a misture of northmen, clansmen, wildlings, ironborn all traumatized by lots of war. The north will become more savage instead of civilized. The civilized people in the north will be long dead by the end of the saga...

Even if that were true ... the Northmen would then treat the wildlings savagely who their traditional enemy. They have pretty much nothing in common.

8 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

The Weeper is going to appear with the thousands he gathered. But he is no weakling like Tormund. He won't bend the knee, he'll invade and then the Northmen will have to kill him and his people. The Hardhome fellows and the others are likely to fall prey to the Others. They do have to have a considerable number of wights to actually be a danger.

But you think the weeper has around 50k wildlings with him? 10 times the number tormund gathered? I think he could have around 4 to 10K. We have no idea where thousands of wildlings are. And as we saw there is very little an army of wildlings can do when attacking the wall. If the weeper wants to go south he will need to negotiate or have someone open the gates for him. And storywise I don t think grrm can have the weeper loose on the north because there is no army around that can stop him. He would take over most of the castles of the NW with very little dificulty.

Another thing you are forgeting is that there are men of the NW in hardhome asking for help (dead things in the water) and I can't see the NW abandoning them. At least some of the wildlings in hardhome will probably leave in the NW boats.

20 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

That's actually not very likely ... but even if it was. The Northmen have basically the same feudal culture as the people in the south. They will quickly claim all the 'free lands' north of the destroyed Wall if they can easily conquer those place - which they could. Even more so since their way of life does not suffer neighbors who routinely raid their lands and steal their women.

The interesting part is that the closest neighbours of the wildlings (and the ones that hate them the most) are very weakned and jon has already introduced some wildlings into the northern society by having alys marry magmar. If he did something similar for the umbers then it would be even easier to introduce wildlings into the north.

Another thing you have to take into account is that a lot of people are dying. The north won t have enough people to ocupy their current territory so they have no reason to have confilcts with the wildlings. It will depend on if the wildlings and the north can come to some agreement. And it makes sense that jon will be in a very good position to negotiate a peace treaty in the near future. At least if he expects thousand of wildlings to actually be able to live south of the wall.

28 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Even if that were true ... the Northmen would then treat the wildlings savagely who their traditional enemy. They have pretty much nothing in common.

Not true. They worship the same gods. Have the same stories and legends. And the enemenity is much bigger closer to the wall than closer to the neck. If jon keeps solving the problems between the most northern houses and the wildlings then I don t see much problems as long as the wildlings respect some laws...

8 minutes ago, divica said:

But you think the weeper has around 50k wildlings with him? 10 times the number tormund gathered? I think he could have around 4 to 10K. We have no idea where thousands of wildlings are. And as we saw there is very little an army of wildlings can do when attacking the wall. If the weeper wants to go south he will need to negotiate or have someone open the gates for him. And storywise I don t think grrm can have the weeper loose on the north because there is no army around that can stop him. He would take over most of the castles of the NW with very little dificulty.

We learn where the wildlings go in the Prologue. They split up, they die, they are killed by their fellows, they go back home (wherever that is), they follow Mother Mole to Hardhome, and they go to the Vale of Thenn.

The Weeper prepares for another attack on the Bridge of Skulls and this time he will succeed. Afterwards he will destroy the Shadow Tower and butcher the men there, then he will invade the North and do what Mance failed to do.

Stannis and his folks are still around - or the Boltons if they win. They will have to deal with him.

Another thing you are forgeting is that there are men of the NW in hardhome asking for help (dead things in the water) and I can't see the NW abandoning them. At least some of the wildlings in hardhome will probably leave in the NW boats.

I think they will all die.

The interesting part is that the closest neighbours of the wildlings (and the ones that hate them the most) are very weakned and jon has already introduced some wildlings into the northern society by having alys marry magmar. If he did something similar for the umbers then it would be even easier to introduce wildlings into the north.

The Thenns aren't wildlings as such. They are kneelers living north of the Vale. They have hierarchical society with the Magnar as their god-king. They will easily integrate in Northern society because they are not, strictly speaking, wildlings.

Another thing you have to take into account is that a lot of people are dying. The north won t have enough people to ocupy their current territory so they have no reason to have confilcts with the wildlings. It will depend on if the wildlings and the north can come to some agreement. And it makes sense that jon will be in a very good position to negotiate a peace treaty in the near future. At least if he expects thousand of wildlings to actually be able to live south of the wall.

The Northmen won't have as many losses as the wildlings ... unless the wildlings kill the Northmen and steal their winter provisions. The wildlings have nothing, the Northmen do have some winter provisions. Meaning the latter have much better chances to survive winter. And there are millions of Northmen in the North, Robb just lost about 20,000 or so. Even if all of Mance's wildlings were to settle in the North - and they won't, many would go back home if the Others are dealt with - it wouldn't have that much of an impact on the North.

But the Northmen would only suffer those people in their lands if they behave and assimilate. If they continue with the savage ways they would be thrown out.

Not true. They worship the same gods. Have the same stories and legends. And the enemenity is much bigger closer to the wall than closer to the neck. If jon keeps solving the problems between the most northern houses and the wildlings then I don t see much problems as long as the wildlings respect some laws...

They have the same gods ... but that's it. And that doesn't mean anything, because their societies are completely different.

39 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

We learn where the wildlings go in the Prologue. They split up, they die, they are killed by their fellows, they go back home (wherever that is), they follow Mother Mole to Hardhome, and they go to the Vale of Thenn.

The Weeper prepares for another attack on the Bridge of Skulls and this time he will succeed. Afterwards he will destroy the Shadow Tower and butcher the men there, then he will invade the North and do what Mance failed to do.

Stannis and his folks are still around - or the Boltons if they win. They will have to deal with him.

The problem is if he crosses the wall he can conquer all the castles of the NW by attacking them from the south. There is little any castle can do against that many people. And stannis or the boltons are probably at least a month away from the wall or more. 

If the weeper is suposed to cross the wall then the clansmen have to abandon stannis pretty fast and march to their homes (as ned starks little girl is free they have no reason to stay with stannis).

But even if all this comes to pass the odds of the weeper having more than 10K wildlings or that they will kill them all are pretty low. The most likely is that someone kills the weeper and the rest ends up surrendering.

At the end of the day there will be thousands of wildlings south of the wall. I don t see them just disapering...

I think they will all die.

Unlikely because no boats no party. And by this I mean that tycho has to get back to essos somehow. So the boats must return and they won t be empty...

The Thenns aren't wildlings as such. They are kneelers living north of the Vale. They have hierarchical society with the Magnar as their god-king. They will easily integrate in Northern society because they are not, strictly speaking, wildlings.

And how dificult would be for tormund to integrate in the north?

The Northmen won't have as many losses as the wildlings ... unless the wildlings kill the Northmen and steal their winter provisions. The wildlings have nothing, the Northmen do have some winter provisions. Meaning the latter have much better chances to survive winter. And there are millions of Northmen in the North, Robb just lost about 20,000 or so. Even if all of Mance's wildlings were to settle in the North - and they won't, many would go back home if the Others are dealt with - it wouldn't have that much of an impact on the North.

But the Northmen would only suffer those people in their lands if they behave and assimilate. If they continue with the savage ways they would be thrown out.

The north still has millions? Have you seen the amount of death that has happened there? The death toll must be huge!

And obviously that the wildlings would need to evolve. Although I higly doubt many will want to return. We know how they hate that they have to live such a harsh life. The most likely scenario is that they will settle in the gift.

7 minutes ago, divica said:

The problem is if he crosses the wall he can conquer all the castles of the NW by attacking them from the south. There is little any castle can do against that many people. And stannis or the boltons are probably at least a month away from the wall or more. 

The Weeper would have in interest in doing that. The wildlings don't want the Wall, they want the safety south of the Wall. He would press on into the Gifts and the North.

If the weeper is suposed to cross the wall then the clansmen have to abandon stannis pretty fast and march to their homes (as ned starks little girl is free they have no reason to stay with stannis).

Yes, if Stannis lives he would have to help the clansmen and others to defeat the Weeper and his people. But so far his attack hasn't happened yet, so there might be time for that.

But even if all this comes to pass the odds of the weeper having more than 10K wildlings or that they will kill them all are pretty low. The most likely is that someone kills the weeper and the rest ends up surrendering.

The guy is built up to be a real danger. And unlike Mance he doesn't give shit about women and children and old people. The men with him are the cream of the wildling soldiers. The elite of the raiders and warriors. They will make short work of the NW at the Shadow Tower.

At the end of the day there will be thousands of wildlings south of the wall. I don t see them just disapering...

I also think there will be thousands there ... but I also think thousands will die before the Others are defeated. The wildlings will be the cannon fodder in that war.

Unlikely because no boats no party. And by this I mean that tycho has to get back to essos somehow. So the boats must return and they won t be empty...

Other ships could show up at Eastwatch easily enough. I guess one ship from Hardhome could make it to inform the gang what happened there, though.

And how dificult would be for tormund to integrate in the north?

If he was a lord in the North easily enough. If they were just giving him some hovel in the middle of nowhere not so much.

The north still has millions? Have you seen the amount of death that has happened there? The death toll must be huge!

Who died there, actually? Robb's army lost men in the battles and the Red Wedding, and some folks died at the Stony Shore, Deepwood Motte, Torrhen's Square, Winterfell, and at Hornwood.

But that's not that much. The Northmen can no longer field large armies. But the villages they have are not empty, etc.

And obviously that the wildlings would need to evolve. Although I higly doubt many will want to return. We know how they hate that they have to live such a harsh life. The most likely scenario is that they will settle in the gift.

The idea is that after the Others are gone and the freak seasons turn back to normal life up there might be more pleasant. Which is also why I think the Northmen would expand their domans up there. Life wouldn't be as harsh as it was before.

I mean, come on, that the wildlings and their way of life is dying is hammered home all the time. The giants are dying, the direwolves are dying, the Children are all but gone, etc.

7 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

The Weeper would have in interest in doing that. The wildlings don't want the Wall, they want the safety south of the Wall. He would press on into the Gifts and the North.

Here you are completly wrong.

He hates the NW. He would kill as many members of the NW as he can. And if he wants food attacking the castles of the NW is the only way to do it.

And while he can attack the NW he cant conquer the castles of the north...

10 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

The guy is built up to be a real danger. And unlike Mance he doesn't give shit about women and children and old people. The men with him are the cream of the wildling soldiers. The elite of the raiders and warriors. They will make short work of the NW at the Shadow Tower.

You have no idea if any of this is true lol. And if the weeper could acomplish all that he would have attacked already. He has nothing to gain by waiting...

31 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Who died there, actually? Robb's army lost men in the battles and the Red Wedding, and some folks died at the Stony Shore, Deepwood Motte, Torrhen's Square, Winterfell, and at Hornwood.

But that's not that much. The Northmen can no longer field large armies. But the villages they have are not empty, etc.

some folk? Not a lot of folk?

32 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

The idea is that after the Others are gone and the freak seasons turn back to normal life up there might be more pleasant. Which is also why I think the Northmen would expand their domans up there. Life wouldn't be as harsh as it was before.

I mean, come on, that the wildlings and their way of life is dying is hammered home all the time. The giants are dying, the direwolves are dying, the Children are all but gone, etc.

the dragons were gone, there haven t been wargs south of the wall for god knows how long, how many times are we said that magic is returning...

I am not a suporter that we started the story without magic, then magic increases just so that it disapears again in a few years. It doesn't make sense to me. 

Then we have no clue if the weather is so cold north of the wall because of the others or if it just the way the weather is there.Planetos doesn't have to follow the same rules as our world...

But I agree if the weather improves the wildlings will end up losing their refuge. But if the weather doesn't improve I also doubt they will wnat to leave the gift. One way or another they have to learn how to make peace with the north. Their isolationist behaviour is over.

On 4/18/2021 at 7:35 PM, divica said:

Here you are completly wrong.

He hates the NW. He would kill as many members of the NW as he can. And if he wants food attacking the castles of the NW is the only way to do it.

And while he can attack the NW he cant conquer the castles of the north...

He does hate the NW. But he could be content with butchering all the men at the Shadow Tower and then press on. His men certainly would. They are going to follow him because he will lead them across the Bridge of Skulls.

You have no idea if any of this is true lol. And if the weeper could acomplish all that he would have attacked already. He has nothing to gain by waiting...

Go back and check ADwD. There are fires burning in the Frostfangs again. He is gathering men along the Milkwater for another attack. It is all there. Apparently he didn't attack yet because he isn't ready yet.

But with the current chaos at Castle Black nobody is even going to try to stop the Weeper from an attack by making him some offer he most likely wouldn't give a damn about anyway ... meaning he will attack. And this time he will win.

some folk? Not a lot of folk?

No, not a lot of folk.

the dragons were gone, there haven t been wargs south of the wall for god knows how long, how many times are we said that magic is returning...

I am not a suporter that we started the story without magic, then magic increases just so that it disapears again in a few years. It doesn't make sense to me. 

Then we have no clue if the weather is so cold north of the wall because of the others or if it just the way the weather is there.Planetos doesn't have to follow the same rules as our world...

But I agree if the weather improves the wildlings will end up losing their refuge. But if the weather doesn't improve I also doubt they will wnat to leave the gift. One way or another they have to learn how to make peace with the north. Their isolationist behaviour is over.

It is not so much about magic, it is about a way of life. The old ways die, along with their people. That is inevitable.

The dragons can still live because they are domesticated. Wild dragons would be hunted down and slain as they were in the past when they lived in Westeros. Even the Targaryen dragons were slain by the Westerosi during the Dance during the Storming of the Dragonpit.

Magic might definitely return ... but that doesn't mean the Children and the giants, etc. will get a renaissance. They will die out.

31 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

He does hate the NW. But he could be content with butchering all the men at the Shadow Tower and then press on. His men certainly would. They are going to follow him because he will lead them across the Bridge of Skulls.

But he doesn t have good targets to press on. At the very least he has to attack CB because it is the place with better resources around and the center of the NW. It wouldn t make sense for the weeper to ignore it. 

33 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Go back and check ADwD. There are fires burning in the Frostfangs again. He is gathering men along the Milkwater for another attack. It is all there. Apparently he didn't attack yet because he isn't ready yet.

But with the current chaos at Castle Black nobody is even going to try to stop the Weeper from an attack by making him some offer he most likely wouldn't give a damn about anyway ... meaning he will attack. And this time he will win.

It is possible. But as I said, if he is gathering a big host then the clansmen will desert Stannis very soon and return north. They are the only force around that can go north fast and face the wildlings. 

Manderley's and bolton's forces are too preoccupied with each other to cease the conflict... 

4 minutes ago, divica said:

But he doesn t have good targets to press on. At the very least he has to attack CB because it is the place with better resources around and the center of the NW. It wouldn t make sense for the weeper to ignore it.

What for? Castle Black will tear itself apart in the wake of Jon's death. And they are already dominated by wildlings, why should the Weeper attack them? It's not like the black brothers are the majority there. And the Weeper will learn what has transpired there from the men at the Shadow Tower.

4 minutes ago, divica said:

It is possible. But as I said, if he is gathering a big host then the clansmen will desert Stannis very soon and return north. They are the only force around that can go north fast and face the wildlings. 

You mean they will magically learn about what transpired at the Shadow Tower in a village in the middle of nowhere? Stannis and his people will only learn of this if they win and take Winterfell. If not, then they are all dead, anyway.

4 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

What for? Castle Black will tear itself apart in the wake of Jon's death. And they are already dominated by wildlings, why should the Weeper attack them? It's not like the black brothers are the majority there. And the Weeper will learn what has transpired there from the men at the Shadow Tower.

FOOD. The most precious resource in times of winter. And it is a good place to serve as a base. There aren't that many places in the gift where thousands of wildlings can live confortably besides the castles of the NW.

Whatever they decide to do they need to raid the food stores of the NW and get sweet revenge on those black crows.

7 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

You mean they will magically learn about what transpired at the Shadow Tower in a village in the middle of nowhere? Stannis and his people will only learn of this if they win and take Winterfell. If not, then they are all dead, anyway.

No. I mean that they will win the battle against the freys and then go home. Ned's little girl is saved, there isn t food or means to win a siege of winterfell, stannis and his southorns are crazy enough to adore a fire god and make sacrifes to it and without a northern lord that would become the leader of the north leading the battle there isn t a reason for them to fight in these circunstances.

As they go home they will learn things about the NW and the wildlings and be able to interfer. Besides, given the weather and the lack of experience dealing with wildlings I don't even know if the boltons or manderleys would be able to fight the weepers host if he had enough giants. After all, we have to assume that the wildlings learned something after their defeat against stannis.

13 minutes ago, divica said:

FOOD. The most precious resource in times of winter. And it is a good place to serve as a base. There aren't that many places in the gift where thousands of wildlings can live confortably besides the castles of the NW.

They can raid the stores of the Shadow Tower. And then push on raid the lands of the clansmen ... which are completely defenseless. As well as most of the North. All the villages are ripe for the taking.

No. I mean that they will win the battle against the freys and then go home. Ned's little girl is saved, there isn t food or means to win a siege of winterfell, stannis and his southorns are crazy enough to adore a fire god and make sacrifes to it and without a northern lord that would become the leader of the north leading the battle there isn t a reason for them to fight in these circunstances.

If they were only about Ned's little girl and the Freys then they should already go home in Theon 1. Do they go home there? No, they don't. They also want to bathe in Bolton blood, by the way.

As they go home they will learn things about the NW and the wildlings and be able to interfer. Besides, given the weather and the lack of experience dealing with wildlings I don't even know if the boltons or manderleys would be able to fight the weepers host if he had enough giants. After all, we have to assume that the wildlings learned something after their defeat against stannis.

If they left Stannis before finding out about the Weeper then this would be two unconnected things.

Archived