Covid-19 #18: Everything Old is New Again!

Fragile Bird

6 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Ahhh. mcbigski.

You’re always good for a laugh.

Remember that time you claimed, “the Democrats are the party of slavery!” ?

As if the last 150 years or so didn’t exist. 

Er what?  Happy to talk gambling, but how many Confederate states were Republican?  If you're implying that Republicans have been pro slavery the last 150 years, you're fucking nuts, frankly. 

16 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Er what?  Happy to talk gambling, but how many Confederate states were Republican?  If you're implying that Republicans have been pro slavery the last 150 years, you're fucking nuts, frankly. 

Please buddy. You are smarter than that. I know you are, and you know you are. So don't act ignorant.

I was very disappointed when one of the only people on this forum that I could have a nice conversation about holdem/gambling with decided to act like he didn't know history. 

(Unless I'm giving you too much credit in your knowledge. If so, I apologize. I have the bad habit of expecting too much of other people)

You know as well as I that the former Confederate states were so pissed at the Republicans for freeing the slaves that they voted Democrat for 100 straight years.

Until the 1960s and the Civil Rights act. 

At which point the former Confederate states were so pissed at the Democrats they've voted Republican since then. (Except for that election they voted for Wallace. I assume you know who that asshole was?)

Don't live a lie buddy. The simplest explanation is usually the correct explanation.

37 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

If he has recovered from Covid in recent weeks, why do you need to distance?  That makes zero sense from a disease transmission point of view.  I guess there are symbolic reasons to do that, but do you ever science?

Er, because people who have Covid can shed virus for days? And someone with a severe case of Covid-19 - and don't kid yourself, they used an unapproved treatment on him that only 5 other people outside the small phase 2 testing had ever had, plus remdesevir plus steroids - can shed virus for 20 days. The CDC guideline for a case like his is to stay isolated for 20 days.

9 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

You know as well as I that the former Confederate states were so pissed at the Republicans for freeing the slaves that they voted Democrat for 100 straight years.

Until the 1960s and the Civil Rights act. 

At which point the former Confederate states were so pissed at the Democrats they've voted Republican since then. (Except for that election they voted for Wallace. I assume you know who that asshole was?)

Don't live a lie buddy. The simplest explanation is usually the correct explanation.

Er how do you square that circle?  Republicans voted for the Civil Rights acts in the 60s at a far higher (probably entirely, but not going to look it up again) rate than Democrats did.  So your cause and effect there are nonsensical. 

Yes, after equal rights for blacks became officially a non partisan thing, the Democrats lost their stranglehold on the South, that much is true.  They gave it their best shot with the Dixiecrats to keep it going, but it was a non-starter.  Why where they Dixiecrats not Dixiepublicans do you think?

Just now, mcbigski said:

Er how do you square that circle?  Republicans voted for the Civil Rights acts in the 60s at a far higher (probably entirely, but not going to look it up again) rate than Democrats did.  So your cause and effect there are nonsensical. 

Yes, after equal rights for blacks became officially a non partisan thing, the Democrats lost their stranglehold on the South, that much is true.  They gave it their best shot with the Dixiecrats to keep it going, but it was a non-starter.  Why where they Dixiecrats not Dixiepublicans do you think?

Ahhhh.

So you are a lost cause. You'd rather live a lie than face reality.

How disappointing.

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Er, because people who have Covid can shed virus for days? And someone with a severe case of Covid-19 - and don't kid yourself, they used an unapproved treatment on him that only 5 other people outside the small phase 2 testing had ever had, plus remdesevir plus steroids - can shed virus for 20 days. The CDC guideline for a case like his is to stay isolated for 20 days.

Maybe, 20 days I haven't heard.  CDC hasn't exactly been consistent throughout all this so maybe they are saying that now.  But I'm willing to assume, based on every previous infectious disease ever, that if someone has mounted a successful immune response to a pathogen that weeks later (the time frame in question as I understood the post) when the pathogen has been suppressed, it's not so prevalent in their system that it's transmissible at any meaningful level.  (Theoretically maybe but very acceptable risk.  I could die on my way to refilling my drink tonight.)

4 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Ahhhh.

So you are a lost cause. You'd rather live a lie than face reality.

How disappointing.

Wait, I thought the Lost Cause was the Democrats and Confederacy.  Needling aside, what are you talking about?  What lie and what reality?  Seriously, I don't get it, we're probably talking past each other.  And probably way off topic by now on a Covid thread.  Maybe PM me or start a new thread?

1 minute ago, mcbigski said:

Wait, I thought the Lost Cause was the Democrats and Confederacy.  Needling aside, what are you talking about?  What lie and what reality?  Seriously, I don't get it, we're probably talking past each other.  And probably way off topic by now on a Covid thread.  Maybe PM me or start a new thread?

Yeah. I agree it's off topic. Probably the U.S. politics thread would be better.

Just now, mcbigski said:

Do we need to hold your hand while we explain political history for dummies?

Yes, technically the Republican Party was the party that freed slaves, even though there's a lot more context to that. And yes, Republicans were very helpful in passing the VRA and the CRA. But in both cases they were liberal Republicans. It was conservatives that fought them at every turn. And they make up today's Republican party.

But you know all this. 

3 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Hey, could you just not refer to people as “blacks”- black people is okay, but “blacks” is dancing a bit close to slur territory and I bet we could all at least agree not to go there.

4 hours ago, mcbigski said:

If he has recovered from Covid in recent weeks, why do you need to distance?  That makes zero sense from a disease transmission point of view.  I guess there are symbolic reasons to do that, but do you ever science?

Try reading what I originally posted more slowly. I'm pretty sure you miscomphrehended what I was referring to.

Perhaps my wording was confusing, I'll attempt to reiterate.

The social distancing refers to company breakroom practices. A subject I plan on speaking to my Unions President about, when he returns to work next week after his Covid quarantine is up.

What any of that has to do with "symbolism" or "Sciencing much" is not apparent to me?

Another yuge reason why we're going to have at least 3 years living this insane life -- superspreader himself, of course, the yugest reason of all, from where all the superspreaders spread their contagious infections:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/12/world/coronavirus-covid?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage#as-trump-returns-to-campaigning-his-aides-preview-a-final-sprint

....Officials with President Trump’s campaign told reporters on Monday that the final stretch of the race would be more frenetic than ever for the president as he tries to make up time he lost battling the coronavirus.

Ahead of Mr. Trump’s return to the campaign trail Monday in Florida, with trips to Pennsylvania, Iowa and North Carolina scheduled for the three following days, aides previewed what they presented as a mad sprint to Nov. 3 and said they had no concerns about the candidate’s health or stamina.

Jason Miller, the campaign’s senior strategist, said the president’s schedule would include “two to three events a day, and that will grow as we get closer to Election Day.” ....

The Stupid Infection indeed -- could these people sound any more stupid if they tried?  Would you trust this jerk to engineer a civil project of any kind?  

https://www.inforum.com/newsmd/coronavirus/6705154-Partying-in-a-pandemic-is-worth-the-risk-for-these-NDSU-students

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

The very thought that it is possible to decouple any of these issues, especially politics and racism and the economy, from Covid-19, is, shall we say kindly, naive.

Agreed, it's a good thing that's not what I said.

Johnson and Johnson's stage 3 vaccine trial paused due to 'unexplained illness' of participant.

More here: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/12/johnson-johnson-pauses-covid-vaccine-trial-over-participants-unexplained-illness 

I completely understand protecting the person's privacy - what I don't get is why disclosing some info on the details of the illness is a violation of this, if personal data is protected and not divulged. Perhaps to avoid premature speculation?

32 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

An apparent reinfection case in thr US

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54512034

Worrying. I caught chicken pox twice as a kid; thr first was mild, only a few spots. The second was a hellish two weeks.

Was just reading that. It's not so much worrying that an occasional person may be susceptible to reinfection, I'm more concerned that the 2nd one was significantly worse. 

This is terrible news about reinfections being possible.

Also depressing how the article mentions "we are still early in the pandemic".

I think too many people still think this will all just go away come January or some other arbitrary yard marker date they've pinned hopes on.

Archived