Covid-19 #18: Everything Old is New Again!

Fragile Bird

Yep Wisconsin's been exploding, it's like our total cases have doubled since September and were hitting our highs in cases and daily deaths .

There's a small hope that we will burn through this wave early and see improved conditions as the wave moves to other regions over the winter?

Of course there's no real guarantee of this either. Things could just get even more severe from here. 

U.S. daily cases were back up to over 60 thousand yesterday, good times.

Meanwhile, my dad's nursery called yesterday. One of their residents had tested positive, and she had to be admitted to a hospital. Thus they are now in a two week lockdown (thus also cancelling my next visitation date on Tuesday). Sarcastic sidenote, it's also the perfect timing for my dad's TV to bow out, lock down, means no technician, or no delivery of a new TV. So he is now basically confined to his bed without any distraction whatsoever. 

Also on a (obviously less) personal note. Since the daily new cases are above a critical threshold, the admissions to attend a football game in person has been cut down to 1.000 people. Not that, I feel like applying for a ticket atm, anyway.

On a non-personal note. It's so much fun watching our 16 states and their governors still being unable to come up with a unified response, but instead are trying to trying to stuff on a regional level. Resulting in a rather patched map, with somewhat different rules. But it looks like courts a striking down some local restrictions, thus creating a more level set of rules.

The InForum -- the paper of Fargo North Dakota, and the across the river in Minnesota city, Moorhead, have proposed having a discussion about whether or not a data count should be started here in nordakota as to who does or does not wear a mask and how often. That's their big solution to the pandemic in the state that as of yesterday, gee whiz, they finally admitted on the front page is going on. Still, the football teams for college and high school continue to play games, even as high school teams are already dropping out due to positive tests.

(My bil is home and needs long term nursing though -- his wife turned out OK, thank goodness, but she's debilitated from her ordeal, and can't do it -- plus, though she's not elderly, she's not Young, so swift bounce back to previous energy levels isn't going to happen.)

Meanwhile, in another tale of  two cities and the virus, in NYC, what reopening and reclosing means.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/16/nyregion/new-york-city-reopening-closings.html

"How a New Virus Lockdown Turned New York Into Two Cities
New York is trying something novel for an American city in the pandemic: allowing reopenings in some areas while shutting down businesses and schools that are just blocks away."

....No other state has tried such a granular approach to rising cases, public health experts said, opting instead for closures at the county or state level. New York State’s plan cuts through city neighborhoods, ZIP codes and, in some cases, even streets.

State and city officials hope this approach will prevent the need for any new citywide lockdowns, which could further devastate the local economy.

Mr. de Blasio has warned that new shutdowns loom as more than 500 people test positive each day, and the number of New Yorkers hospitalized hit its highest level since the start of the summer, with the percentage of positive tests rising since last month.

The state and city initially blamed the uptick on a lack of compliance with masking and social distancing rules in Orthodox Jewish communities, centering the closure zones around those areas. But rates have also been rising elsewhere, leading officials to monitor several other parts of the city....

....The surge in cases in Brooklyn and Queens amplified questions about the city’s ability to keep new infections from spreading. Even before the rise in cases in nine ZIP codes in Brooklyn and Queens, many experts expected an increase because of cooling weather, more indoor activity and a growing complacency about pandemic restrictions.

Mr. Cuomo has chided Mr. de Blasio for not doing enough to enforce the existing rules, especially in Orthodox Jewish communities. “The question now is enforcement,” Mr. Cuomo said on Wednesday. The governor said the state would withhold funds from the city and other localities if they did not enforce gathering limits and school closures.

The mayor has announced that the Police Department and officers from other city agencies would help monitor mask compliance in “hot spot” areas and that the city had begun a crackdown on noncompliant businesses and houses of worship.

At the same time, it is not clear that precautions are being followed in the areas of the city not under new restrictions. In Murray Hill in Manhattan on a recent Sunday, football fans crowded around televisions mounted outside bars. In Jackson Heights, Queens, restaurant owners hardened their outdoor patios into structures with walls that, according to city guidelines, would require them to follow the rules of indoor dining....

It's pretty clear this ain't gonna work because people just flat out refuse to follow the rules and guidelines, just as they did all summer, which is why we're here again.  Sigh.

Are they doing any testing of wastewater for COVID in the US or UK? They are doing it in Australia mainly for rural towns. Sometimes there are officially no cases but they find it. It could be from people who never knew they had it. It's quite a good a lesson that the virus does get around.

Herd Immunity!  That good old herd immunity!

But seriously, folks, here's a good factual information run down on the sheer, blatant, non-scientific, non-numeracy literacy and unethical, immoral idiocy talking about herd immunity is.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/21517702/great-barrington-declaration-john-snow-memorandum-explained-herd-immunity

Have returned from a grocery run. As we said would happen, is happening, has happened now the first actually cold days and nights arrived. The so-called outdoor ventilated dining is now totally enclosed top and sides, except facing the sidewalks and much of that can be too, depending on the venue – leaving people like me about 10 inches to pass many maskless people yelling and etc.  Not to mention the big clusters of maskless standing shoulder to shoulder either waiting for a table or trying to decide if this is The Place.  Plus all the assholes from out-of-state maskless, parking in the cross walks and just sitting there daring you to object. But crime is going up, and this neighborhood with so many very rich visitors, attracts those who are more than willing to jack with gun and knife.  So many truly desperate and hungry people they don't bother with it being day or night, or even other people around.  And they can run so much better and overleap the massive obstacle course that are the streets now that they get away fairly easily.

In the meantime, the rules continue wilfully to broken.  How in hell does anybody think they can have a wedding with 10,000 people?  Yet, by golly, some think they can and they will! Yet, even just now, these last few days, have shown enforcement of the mask, distance and shut down rules, very rapidly brought down the numbers of new cases in the notorious NYC hot spots.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-cuomo-hot-spots-20201017-jzxzs2dy2nbyljsk4yiuzrux5q-story.html

So thanks to this endless procession of selfish special snowflakes, no Thanksgiving for us. 

November and December are going to be really awful.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

As we said would happen, is happening, has happened now the first actually cold days and nights arrived.

Good luck for the incoming cold weather. NYC isn't there yet thankfully, but I fear it'll be deadly. A good chunk of Western/Central Europe has been hit by a colder weather than usual for the last two weeks and cases are skyrocketing all over the place, with hospitals already close to capacity in some areas.

32 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Daughter (2 years old) developed a cough so going to grt her tested today :(

pretty sure its a cold as her nose has been  runny for days but need to check

Sure it will be fine. Whereas our daughter age 2 has to isolate as in contact with someone with positive test, but can't get one herself as she has no symptoms. So stuck in house for 2 weeks, which I get, but if you cant get test without symptoms then you could be isolating on repeat forever. 

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Sure it will be fine. Whereas our daughter age 2 has to isolate as in contact with someone with positive test, but can't get one herself as she has no symptoms. So stuck in house for 2 weeks, which I get, but if you cant get test without symptoms then you could be isolating on repeat forever. 

Yeah. This’ll be her third test. 
stupid that you have to isolate for 2 weeks with no symptoms but because you  were in contact. If the government were competent there would be ample testing capacity. In Glasgow at least, there were plenty of free tests at the airport this morning. Not just lie and pretend you’ve all got coughs to grt tested?

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

stupid that you have to isolate for 2 weeks with no symptoms but because you  were in contact. If the government were competent there would be ample testing capacity. 

The list of competent governments has grown quite thin in 2020. Hopefully, there will be a payback when elections come - no reason only NZ can be sensible in this way...

One wonders if women's immune systems operate somewhat differently here has to do with how their bodies manage to retain that ultimate outside invader, a fetus, without dying (under proper conditions of course).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/10/17/coronavirus-men-immune-system/

This is what happens when the attitude to the virus is "let 'er rip! ain't gonna take any personal responsibility or practice any safety measure coz that takes away my freedom."  While, of course, their freedom means, not only other people getting sick, including the health care system people taking care of those who refuse to have their freedom infringed upon -- and even ultimately, what is at the very least, if not murder, man slaughter.  Funny how nobody wants the 'government' to fund or manage the virus, yet expect the government in one way and another to take care of them when they get sick and infect others, including the people they expect to nurse and doctor them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/10/17/sturgis-rally-spread/

....Hospitals have seen the effects. David Basel, vice president of clinical quality at Avera Medical Group, which has locations on the east side of the state, said on Sept. 30 that facilities had been “busy, and we’re feeling it.” Covid-19 cases make up 10 percent of patients, he said.

“The thing that quite honestly scares us most is personnel,” he said. “If we started to lose personnel to them coming down with covid, that would be probably the biggest risk to us.”....

.... Cervantes [Sturgis attendee, despite his public health worker partner begging him not to, came home sick, infected her and other members of his family] now looks at things differently. Watching football, he worried how many of the thousands of fans admitted to a recent Kansas City Chiefs game might become infected, even as he noticed they sat apart. He once put on a mask to humor Balcom; now he says he has to resist the urge to yell at strangers to wear them.

After weeks of missed work, his stint in the hospital and a return visit to the ER over a blood clot concern, he’s come to deeply regret his decision.

“I was naive,” he said. “I was dumb, you know? I shouldn’t have went. I did; I can’t change that, so I just got to move forward. But sitting here just the past few days, that’s all I keep thinking about. I’m like, Jesus, look at the hell I’m going through, the hell I put everybody through. It ain’t worth it. It wasn’t. It really wasn’t.”

Among the commonalities in the second and third linked reports is the gub of South Dakota hand waving away the fact her state, with no rules or regulations or mandated masking indoors, is only second in the rapid and relentless rise of new cases to North Dakota, which also has no rules, regulations on distancing, gatherings of people, or mandated masking indoors, and bars and restaurants wide open:

....“We have triple the amount of testing that we’re doing in the state of South Dakota, which is why you’re seeing elevated positive cases,” she said. “That is normal. That’s natural. That’s expected.”

But a rise in tests would not explain why hospitalization and death rates have also spiked....

They also have the commonality that the medical personnel and institutions, tasked with caring for these new cases, then, are over-stretched, underfunded, exhausted, and then, themselves, getting sick themselves. Also the infected infecting their family members, other loved one and friends.

It these matters cannot teach people that leaving it to 'personal responsibility' means over-stretched, underfunded and even murder, then, of others -- nothing will.  As two of the articles also state, personal responsibility means "an attack on my freedumb." So, let 'er rip.

What all Americans need to continue to hear.

Excellent messaging on Meet the Press from this infectious disease expert today. Totally repudiated the bullshit coming from the White House.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f8c6e02c5b67da85d1f2d67

Sick situation where Americans need to actively counter their own governments messaging.

If you trust in your own elected national leadership, you will be putting yourself at higher risk.

On 10/17/2020 at 3:46 PM, Zorral said:

Plus all the assholes from out-of-state maskless, parking in the cross walks and just sitting there daring you to object. But crime is going up, and this neighborhood with so many very rich visitors, attracts those who are more than willing to jack with gun and knife.

I'm curious what neighborhood or, if that's too detailed for anonymity, borough this is.

We all know about the people getting ill with the virus and suffering from it but of course unfortunately there are all the other victims of Covid who don't have the virus but are suffering none the less....yesterday in Bond Court in Cook County (the county Chicago is in) two absolutely vile men.

One up for repeatedly sexually assaulting his 14 year old step-daughter.  The mother worked days and was gone. The step-father worked nights so was home during the day.  The daughter was home during the day because Covid means school is online.  The poor girl.

The other case involved a 7 year old girl.  This is another incident involving a child home during the day because school is online.  She was at her grandmother's house.  Her sexual assault was livestreamed to her study hall because the man didn't realize her computer camera was on.  The study proctor saw it happening as did several other classmates.  This poor child.

So think of all the victims of domestic abuse and sexual violence because they have even more limited places to go during the virus and so many less opportunities to escape and go places safe.  Donating to a local domestic abuse shelter right now...  

Archived