Covid-19 #18: Everything Old is New Again!

Fragile Bird

22 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just heard in the business news that the Eli Lilly vaccine is being tried on patients in hospitals, and a “marked difference” has been seen in the reactions of some patients receiving the vaccine versus the patients receiving the placebo. 

There hasn’t been a huge reaction to this news, and the company President in an interview said they are not sure what this means yet.

You missed my post above about this yesterday ---

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/13/health/eli-lilly-antibody.html

Eli Lilly’s Antibody Trial Is Paused Over Potential Safety Concern
The drugmaker’s experimental antibody treatment is similar to the one President Trump received from Regeneron.

Along with Johnsons's pause --

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/12/world/coronavirus-covid

5 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You missed my post above about this yesterday ---

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/13/health/eli-lilly-antibody.html

Eli Lilly’s Antibody Trial Is Paused Over Potential Safety Concern
The drugmaker’s experimental antibody treatment is similar to the one President Trump received from Regeneron.

Along with Johnsons's pause --

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/12/world/coronavirus-covid

Actually it was meant as additional information to your links, since the interview was today, the line about “marked difference” was new, and the fact the company still hasn’t been given more details yet.

eta: also, it’s hard to know if the stock hasn’t taken a huge drop because there’s a whisper that it isn’t anything too bad or because no one really knows anything yet.

15 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I’m going to guess that Tywin, like me, has a normal body temperature below 98.6 degrees. Mine is usually 97.something.

Tywin - the CDC definition of a fever is that you feel like you have one. Seriously. It is NOT “100.3 or above”.

I also tend to be on the cool side--usually around 96ish. I've had very few fevers in my life, but I still recall with great annoyance once when I was feeling truly awful in 5th grade and was not allowed to be sent home because they only did that if your temp was above 100, and mine was 99. The nurse was not impressed when I tried to explain that was still very high for me!

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Actually it was meant as additional information to your links, since the interview was today, the line about “marked difference” was new, and the fact the company still hasn’t been given more details yet.

eta: also, it’s hard to know if the stock hasn’t taken a huge drop because there’s a whisper that it isn’t anything too bad or because no one really knows anything yet.

Ah, thanks -- sorry for getting that wrong.  Argh.

Damn, Paris, its region, and eight other major French cities are under curfew for the next 6 weeks. Bars, theatres, and restaurants will close at 9pm.

First fine is ok (135€) but repeat offenders will have to pay 1500€. There's a bunch of other restrictions or recommendations, like no more than 6 for dinner.

Fun times.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

Damn, Paris, its region, and eight other major French cities are under curfew for the next 6 weeks. Bars, theatres, and restaurants will close at 9pm.

First fine is ok (135€) but repeat offenders will have to pay 1500€. There's a bunch of other restrictions or recommendations, like no more than 6 for dinner.

Fun times.

What is this actually trying to achieve? Covid doesn't only come out at night. Wouldn't this just make the said locations more crowded during the day?

25 minutes ago, Makk said:

What is this actually trying to achieve? Covid doesn't only come out at night. Wouldn't this just make the said locations more crowded during the day?

I think the idea is that people out during the day are more likely to be doing things that can be distanced and in smaller groups or with family. At night, people get drunk and go bar hopping and basically become a lot more unruly.

16 minutes ago, Makk said:

Well, they're actually going after nightlife. After they tried to close down bars, many started requalifying as restaurants by offering light meals, so the curfew is the only way people will stop going out. And sure, people will still have "afterworks" but they'll be getting a lot less drunk - and keeping their distance more.
The government is desperate to avoid another lockdown, but as the president of the Doctors' Association said, what's really needed is more hospital beds. I wouldn't mind the curfew if I knew the healthcare system was getting a huge injection of funds and hiring massively.

6 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Well, they're actually going after nightlife. After they tried to close down bars, many started requalifying as restaurants by offering light meals, so the curfew is the only way people will stop going out. And sure, people will still have "afterworks" but they'll be getting a lot less drunk - and keeping their distance more.
The government is desperate to avoid another lockdown, but as the president of the Doctors' Association said, what's really needed is more hospital beds. I wouldn't mind the curfew if I knew the healthcare system was getting a huge injection of funds and hiring massively.

The truth is you just have to lockdown. Half-assed attempts will not due. 

9 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Because they are a short term fix to a long term problem.

Its like giving someone with GERD a couple of Tums. Will it work for a while? Sure.

You’re still gonna have heartburn unless you quit drinking, quit citrus fruits, quit tomatoes, maybe sleep almost fucking upright, try (!!!) to avoid stress in your life, and possibly take a longer-term antacid if your bones can handle the side effects.

GERD?

You're too young and beautiful for such references. 

18 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Thanks :) Dude, my GERD was so bad I would be in a meeting with the General Counsel and calmly say “that’s a great thought, if we could hold it there, please, I need to take care of something” and I’d go to my office next door, throw up in my garbage can, tie up the liner, dispose of it, brush my teeth, and go back to her office. I had told her I had a medical issue, so she knew my cue.

There were times I felt like someone was strangling me, and not in a good way like hanky-panky, but really like bad strangle.

God, that job was a fucking nightmare.

And my kid has GERD, too, which is why he’s 6’2 and mayyybe 145 lbs. He eats small amounts throughout the day and just took my advice on multiple pillows, which really does help.

Wish I could give you some advice, but I'm sure mine wouldn't be welcomed on this front. 

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just heard in the business news that the Eli Lilly vaccine is being tried on patients in hospitals, and a “marked difference” has been seen in the reactions of some patients receiving the vaccine versus the patients receiving the placebo. 

There hasn’t been a huge reaction to this news, and the company President in an interview said they are not sure what this means yet.

You don't vaccinate people with the disease. Antibody treatment =/= vaccination. Antibody treatment is what Donald got to aid in his super-human recovery.

5 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Fortunately, my GERD has subsided with the non-pharmaceutical interventions and the occasional Tums antacid.

My kiddo’s stress will decrease measurably once he goes to grad school and no longer has to put up with me, Mistress of the Castle. He’s also less stressed with doing his volunteer work twice a week; it gets him out of the house.

I’ve ordered a case of yellow whole peeled tomatoes; they seem to taste less acidic than the red ones.

He needs to weigh a fair bit more at that height. 

5 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Yeah, so did I at that age. My family is small-boned. I was 5’8” and 110 lbs until I hit 43 and got on HRT for menopause. I got estrogen and now I’m 135.

I'm 5'8, and everyone in my family looks like a natural RB/LB. Kiddo needs to put on 20 pounds.

13 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

He eats high calorie and nutritious food, but he’s got my genes and he’s not gonna get to anything other than “slender” until he’s 40.

Fucking fuckers always said I needed to put on 20 lbs, too, and I fucking hate it, since I gained 20 lbs. 

I don’t judge anyone’s body shape or size. This goes for all shapes and sizes.

That's only somewhat true. But I'm not touching your last two sentences. Like I said before, you won't like what I have to say, even if you may agree with me. 

Re-infection

So according to that BBC article on reinfection, it's happened once in the US, and once in Ecuador with less severe recurring symptoms, and in the three other cases, the reinfection was no more severe, (which also could just mean retested positive without symptoms.)

Being more numerate than the average bear, I wonder how many false positives have happened while under the throes of other infections with over lapping symptoms.

Also, I wonder, if two people in the world have actually been infected twice with the same or worse symptoms, how much should a 2 in 40 million (going by confirmed cases, actual denominator larger) probability weight our optimal response?

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I saw a story in Scientific American a while ago that when records from the 1850s/60s were compared with today’s health records, our average body temperatures have dropped by more than 1 degree. The average for men and women today is 97.5 F

Obviously Climate Change.  I just thought it was my high surface area to mass ratio that kept my temp low, but a lot of the less shapely folks today would have bigger denominators.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The truth is you just have to lockdown. Half-assed attempts will not due. 

I think the problem has been, compared to China who first pioneered the lockdowns every other lockdown has been half-assed. The virus is pretty well controlled here despite being  the originator and all new flare ups have  been contained. But the initial lockdown was far stricter then would be possible in a democracy.  Only grocery stores were open,no exceptions if you go out you where a mask, no exceptions. Due to the nature of the government here every  apartment building and neighborhood is broken into mini precincts with officers responsible for residents. These were literally barricaded with temporary walls and fences crisscrossing the city and police and security checking passes to make sure you were a resident.

There were of course malcontents there was an entitled middle aged due who literally screamed at my buildings security to let him in for a good while. But he never got his way and he didn't get on the news.  And now it feels over here. Everything is back to normal my city of six million has had two new cases in the past three months. Now there is an outbreak in Tsingtao, but I'm sure it will be contained the same as the  renewed outbreaks in Dalian andd Jilin were.

6 minutes ago, Darzin said:

I think the problem has been, compared to China who first pioneered the lockdowns every other lockdown has been half-assed. The virus is pretty well controlled here despite being  the originator and all new flare ups have  been contained. But the initial lockdown was far stricter then would be possible in a democracy.  Only grocery stores were open,no exceptions if you go out you where a mask, no exceptions. Due to the nature of the government here every  apartment building and neighborhood is broken into mini precincts with officers responsible for residents. These were literally barricaded with temporary walls and fences crisscrossing the city and police and security checking passes to make sure you were a resident.

There were of course malcontents there was an entitled middle aged due who literally screamed at my buildings security to let him in for a good while. But he never got his way and he didn't get on the news.  And now it feels over here. Everything is back to normal my city of six million has had two new cases in the past three months. Now there is an outbreak in Tsingtao, but I'm sure it will be contained the same as the  renewed outbreaks in Dalian andd Jilin were.

Yeah. But the downside is you live in a country where government can do that to you on a whim. 

Archived