What's the weirdest debate you've ever seen on this forum?

Alyn Oakenfist

The most interesting to me is when people talk about what ASOIAF is about.

One guy said GRRM views arranged marriage as better than marriage out of love.

One guy said that in the next book Jon will obviously conquer The North while pillaging, raping, sacking and murdering innocents, but George will handwave it away by making the smallfolk absolutely evil.

Another guy said that the whole story is about "nobility acting with honor as a symbol for their people".

Rhaegar is now Mance

One or more TOJ Kingsguard survived and joined the NW under a false name.  Qhorin is one such.

Joffrey's ride with Sansa along the Trident was an attempt to either murder her or present her as sexually aggressive/promiscuous (at 11!).

Arya's actions in the preview chapter are an assignment from the FM.

X is really Y under glamor (too many to specifically remember)

Jaqen is really X (Syrio Forel, Gerion Lannister, Aegon Targaryen, etc.)

Probably many more that I can't think of right now.

It all makes "Arya is a psycho" "Jon is a threat to humanity" and "Tyrion was the real target of the Purple Wedding" look positively sensible.

10 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

One guy said that in the next book Jon will obviously conquer The North while pillaging, raping, sacking and murdering innocents, but George will handwave it away by making the smallfolk absolutely evil.

Another guy said that the whole story is about "nobility acting with honor as a symbol for their people".

George is honest enough to show that innocents die, even when the good guys wage war.  But, I doubt if Jon would do these things wantonly, even if his personality was radically transformed.

13 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

A few years ago I read an article that looked at arranged marriages and marriage out of love and concluded the same thing.  They looked at the divorce rate, the children from both types of marriages, and surveys of people n their 40s with how satisfied they were with their marriage.  In arranged marriages the families are usually close to each other so the couple.has a lot more.outside support.

Of course my wife and I married for love 40 years ago.

1 hour ago, Raebo said:

A few years ago I read an article that looked at arranged marriages and marriage out of love and concluded the same thing.  They looked at the divorce rate, the children from both types of marriages, and surveys of people n their 40s with how satisfied they were with their marriage.  In arranged marriages the families are usually close to each other so the couple.has a lot more.outside support.

Arranged marriages are about wealth and prestige so of course they're less likely to divorce. 

1 hour ago, Raebo said:

I guess when you are conservative enough to get into arranged marriage the divorce must seem to you something absolutely defiling

6 hours ago, SeanF said:

George is honest enough to show that innocents die, even when the good guys wage war.  But, I doubt if Jon would do these things wantonly, even if his personality was radically transformed.

Yep, and I doubt way more that George would make his victims absolutely evil so he's still the good guy.

3 hours ago, Raebo said:

Yeah, I'm not saying arranged marriages are a bad thing, I'm just saying it's wacky to come to the conclusion that they are the only correct way of forming a relationship by reading ASOIAF.

Hrm.  We all go through changes in interests in this story with all the bleeding prisms to gaze into.  I'm not sure where some of the more alternative telling of stories spring from--not true, I do.  None-the-less I grow so weary of the old Who Authored the Pink Letter extravaganza.  That said I never ever get bored with a great Hooded Man conversation.  The Pink Letter is such a silly thing to worry about when Jon feels only cold.  I get the feeling this isn't a thing we will ever know for sure.   It's like having a picture of a dead goat over your fireplace or something.  

There used to be one guy who had what I would call an original way of thinking. He used to put up strange posts that would infuriate some people. One I found interesting was suggesting that when Dany saw Aegon say "there must be three" it wasn't as if he was looking at her but he did see her in his own prophetic vision. Now I doubt this but, it is something that could be incorporated in a fantasy novel, its not that nutty an idea.

14 hours ago, R2D said:

Arranged marriages are about wealth and prestige so of course they're less likely to divorce. 

They are not. Many arab people and others still have arranged marriages. Lots of cousin marriages too. When my sister was working in the Sudan her next door neighbour rebelled and found a husband for herself (she had got an unconventional job for herself first, that's where she found him) and my sister said uneasily to her "if you marry for love you have to stay in love your whole life". Fancy marrying a stranger not someone from your town or a relation or a friend of the family, known to your parents! He might turn out to be a rotter. Family pressure wouldn't keep him in line.

I saw a documentary on Australia TV about an Australian born son of immigrants from the Middle East who had caused family ructions by announcing he was marrying an Italian-Australia woman. HIs mother in Australia and his Aunt overseas had planned the cousin marriage as a way of keeping up the connection and also helping his cousin to emigrate. The son was very angry and rejecting of the tradition. 

Arranged marriages being more traditional probably last because there is less acceptance of divorce and people don't go in on the basis of romantic love.

9 hours ago, Castellan said:

They are not. Many arab people and others still have arranged marriages. Lots of cousin marriages too. When my sister was working in the Sudan her next door neighbour rebelled and found a husband for herself (she had got an unconventional job for herself first, that's where she found him) and my sister said uneasily to her "if you marry for love you have to stay in love your whole life". Fancy marrying a stranger not someone from your town or a relation or a friend of the family, known to your parents! He might turn out to be a rotter. Family pressure wouldn't keep him in line.

I saw a documentary on Australia TV about an Australian born son of immigrants from the Middle East who had caused family ructions by announcing he was marrying an Italian-Australia woman. HIs mother in Australia and his Aunt overseas had planned the cousin marriage as a way of keeping up the connection and also helping his cousin to emigrate. The son was very angry and rejecting of the tradition. 

Arranged marriages being more traditional probably last because there is less acceptance of divorce and people don't go in on the basis of romantic love.

Youre agreeing with me

Archived