What's the weirdest debate you've ever seen on this forum?

Alyn Oakenfist

2 hours ago, Castellan said:

yep but I am disagreeing about them being associated with wealth and prestige.

Well idk I'm talking about South Asian arranged marriages where it's mostly about the dowries the bride's family can offer and where casteism still persists.

It wasn't really a debate because it was just one guy calling everyone sexist for not agreeing with him but basically his argument was that Cersei raped Robert because Robert would come into her bedchamber will drunk and she would have to give him handjobs and blowjobs so that he wouldn't force himself upon her. Apparently Robert was too drunk to consent and so Cersei raped him, even though he was the one initiating and demanding sex.

8 hours ago, R2D said:

Well idk I'm talking about South Asian arranged marriages where it's mostly about the dowries the bride's family can offer and where casteism still persists.

That's interesting. I was thinking you meant arranged marriages are a minority associated with a particular wealthy class. Are arranged marriages a rule or only for high castes people?

On 10/2/2020 at 4:43 AM, SeanF said:

Along with Janos Slynt and the Boltons being the good guys.

Don’t forget Tywin. I’ll say that as mine. Tywin having a fan base that excuse everything he does and in fact, more than that, seem to look up to or even worship Tywin. Having debates or whether Tywin is a bad person or not is not something I expected to have to do. 

I should also say though : The discussion of whether Cersei’s rape was morally acceptable because she is a bad person was one I did not expect to have either. Here I thought all modern human beings were in aggreance that rape is always a bad thing and no one deserves to be raped. 

40 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

I should also say though : The discussion of whether Cersei’s rape was morally acceptable because she is a bad person was one I did not expect to have either. Here I thought all modern human beings were in aggreance that rape is always a bad thing and no one deserves to be raped. 

The moderators squash such arguments swiftly.  

Other fora contain arguments that Cersei/Daenerys/Catelyn deserved rape.

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Wait just a second.... So Cersei and Dany were both raped (not legally speaking from Westerosi standards, but in every other way imaginable)

But Cat??? WTF?

Some other fora can be really quite nasty.  Why people develop obsessive hate towards fictional people is probably a question for psychologists. In this case, it comes from misogynists who hate Cat for "abusing" Jon/starting the War of the Five Kings/abandoing her children at Winterfell/refusing to convert to her husband's religion etc.

4 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Some other fora can be really quite nasty.  Why people develop obsessive hate towards fictional people is probably a question for psychologists. In this case, it comes from misogynists who hate Cat for "abusing" Jon/starting the War of the Five Kings/abandoing her children at Winterfell/refusing to convert to her husband's religion etc.

You misunderstand me. I understand people hating on Cat, she's not the most likable character, actually at times she a very dislikable character. What I didn't get was the part that "Other fora contain arguments that Cersei/Daenerys/Catelyn deserved rape"

On 10/3/2020 at 6:44 AM, David Selig said:

I remember how one poster here, who had the worst case of Jon Snow fanboyism and Catelyn hatred I've ever seen, claimed that Catelyn treated Jon worse than Cersei treated Robert's bastards even though Cersei literally had Robert's bastards killed.

Cersei herself comments on Cat being to soft to kill him in his cradle like she thinks Cat should have done! I don't like Cat, for various reasons, but there is no denying Cersei is way worse.

Years ago someone posited that:

"A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness. . ."

Was in fact a metaphor/vision of Brienne, because the colors of Tarth are rose and azure.

(Among the worst "word search" theories that has ever been.)

On 10/3/2020 at 6:44 AM, David Selig said:

I remember how one poster here, who had the worst case of Jon Snow fanboyism and Catelyn hatred I've ever seen, claimed that Catelyn treated Jon worse than Cersei treated Robert's bastards even though Cersei literally had Robert's bastards killed.

I just came across this line again recently. Catelyn has been unfairly demonized IMO.

Catelyn Tully was a mouse, or she would have smothered this Jon Snow in his cradle. Instead, she's left the filthy task to me.

Archived