Fourth Quarter 2020 Reading

Plessiez

Have neglected to keep up with this, so here is my reading over the past month or so.

16 Ways to Defend a Walled City by K.J. Parker - a former slave turned engineer must defend his former masters' city with limited resources, an unruly population, and his wits.    Loved the engineers as heroes and the plans they come up with to deal with each crisis.

The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi - a pretty bleak look at the future of the American southwest as drought and climate change cause an escalating and brutal conflict over rights to a dwindling water supply.  The three main characters are caught in the middle of a search for something that could shift the balance of power.

A Long Way to an Angry Planet by Becky Chambers - a look into the lives of the crew of the Wayfarer, a ship that builds stable wormholes between different parts of the sprawling multi-species Galactic Commons.  This is a book about a bunch of different species working and getting along together, just a light-hearted and fun book with no galaxy saving mission to deal with.  The different races and cultures are really well done.  A nice change of mood after the Water Knife.

Masquerade in Lodi by Lois McMaster Bujold - another tale of Penric and his demon, Desdemona.  This one is set at an earlier time in their partnership when they are in the City of Lodi and are asked to help deal with a castaway who has appeared to have been taken over by a dangerous unstable demon.  Fun as always, with some new interesting characters.

Just started A Close and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers, the second book in the Wayfarer universe.

20 hours ago, Leofric said:

Just started A Close and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers, the second book in the Wayfarer universe.

I found that one to be a little different from the first, but not sure if I'd call it weaker. More focused, perhaps? It certainly has a more straightforward plot (well, two straightforward plots), and that's a major strength.

The third one was well-written page by page, but it has no plot whatsoever. I also think it lacked a few of the aspects that made the first two so good, but your opinions may differ. I've heard others like that one the best.

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Isn’t the fourth due out soon?

The Galaxy, and the Ground Within is out in February (in the UK at least).

2 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

I found that one to be a little different from the first, but not sure if I'd call it weaker. More focused, perhaps? It certainly has a more straightforward plot (well, two straightforward plots), and that's a major strength.

The third one was well-written page by page, but it has no plot whatsoever. I also think it lacked a few of the aspects that made the first two so good, but your opinions may differ. I've heard others like that one the best.

I agree the third one was the weakest of her books so far (also including To Be Taught, If Fortunate. I still liked it, but you're right that it's not got a strong narrative.

12 hours ago, williamjm said:

I agree the third one was the weakest of her books so far (also including To Be Taught, If Fortunate. I still liked it, but you're right that it's not got a strong narrative.

Another thing I disliked about it was ...

Spoiler

... how all the main characters were humans, who pretty much all came from the same background. A major strength of the first two books was the non-human perspective, seeing how society works when viewed by someone who comes from a complete alien background. Whether that's a reptilian with a strange family structure, a teddy bear brainwashed by a parasite, a girl bred to be a factory worker, or an AI in a human body, all being confronted by the strange realities and expectations of other people. Those are great character ideas, and I had really looked forward to seeing more of that, but instead Record of a Spaceborn Few was mostly about ordinary people (with one minor alien guest appearance) who don't even interact with each other. Sure, for being about ordinary people who don't interact with each other, it was well written, but not what I had come to expect from the first two books.

The lack of plot was also really frustrating. I turned every page waiting for some semblance of plot to begin, and it never did. The first book didn't have much of an overarching plot either, but it had lots of sub-plots and character stories to unravel (much like the A plot of the second book), but the third just ... had nothing interesting going on, at all.

I haven't read To Be Taught, If Fortunate yet. Waiting on reviews of the fourth book to see whether the series finds its way back to form or if it chooses to amplify its least good characteristics again.

3 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

Another thing I disliked about it was ...

Reveal hidden contents

... how all the main characters were humans, who pretty much all came from the same background. A major strength of the first two books was the non-human perspective, seeing how society works when viewed by someone who comes from a complete alien background. Whether that's a reptilian with a strange family structure, a teddy bear brainwashed by a parasite, a girl bred to be a factory worker, or an AI in a human body, all being confronted by the strange realities and expectations of other people. Those are great character ideas, and I had really looked forward to seeing more of that, but instead Record of a Spaceborn Few was mostly about ordinary people (with one minor alien guest appearance) who don't even interact with each other. Sure, for being about ordinary people who don't interact with each other, it was well written, but not what I had come to expect from the first two books.

The lack of plot was also really frustrating. I turned every page waiting for some semblance of plot to begin, and it never did. The first book didn't have much of an overarching plot either, but it had lots of sub-plots and character stories to unravel (much like the A plot of the second book), but the third just ... had nothing interesting going on, at all.

I haven't read To Be Taught, If Fortunate yet. Waiting on reviews of the fourth book to see whether the series finds its way back to form or if it chooses to amplify its least good characteristics again.

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, I really hated the third book. To the extent that I’m probably not going to read another one of Chambers’ books unless it gets glowing reviews.

I thought To Be Taught, If Fortunate had a more focused plot than any of the Wayfarers books (perhaps with the exception of A Close and Common Orbit), I thought it was a good story about space exploration.

On 10/3/2020 at 2:22 AM, Nicomo Cosca said:

The Castle by Kafka. Didn't care for this one that much. I was hyped to try a Kafka novel but this one completely threw me off. I found the characters to be forgettable and the plot was super slow/not that interesting. IDK, I was expecting something more atmospheric or inmersive. Did someone else have a similar experience? Should I try another Kafka novel in the future?

No. I had the opposite experience. I read this about 20 years ago when I was working night shifts and I found it gripping and absorbing. I also found it outrageously funny in places. 

I finished listening to A Conspiracy in Belgravia by Sherry Thomas today and really liked it. This is book 2 of the Lady Sherlock series. I liked book 1 a lot, but this one is even better. Plus I never get tired of the way Kate Reading says "room"!

I swear I am determined to actually finish The Dark Forest next!

I've also downloaded The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton for my next audiobook.

I just started Fonda Lee's Jade City since it's got a few positive reviews. I've only just started but it seems interesting so far. It is a bit weird to read a fantasy book with things like international airports and colour tvs in it though.

I was just blown away by City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett! I do greatly enjoy epic high fantasy series, hence why I have been a member of these forums since 2002, so bear in mind that I have a particular liking for this sort of stuff. :D

Niiiiice, very nice. The setting is a post-World War in a fantasy world that was once ruled by gods. Gods like Norse gods or Greek gods, not like the omniscient, omnipotent Abrahamic god. This a world warped by reality-bending magicians on a titanic scale (gods, demigods, saints, etc). What happens when all these miracles and structures disappear when the divinities are killed? Pockets of craziness.

I'm afraid the characters and plot are just okay, nothing great, but the setting more than makes up for it, IMO.

This book was apparently a finalist for the World Fantasy award but lost to The Bone Clocks. Apparently, the Sad Puppies debacle pushed City of Stairs off the Hugo nominations which is a pity. I'm off to read the other two books in the series.

P.S. Do not read the blurb for the third book, it's a spoiler.

2 hours ago, Gigei said:

I was just blown away by City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett! I do greatly enjoy epic high fantasy series, hence why I have been a member of these forums since 2002, so bear in mind that I have a particular liking for this sort of stuff. :D

Niiiiice, very nice. The setting is a post-World War in a fantasy world that was once ruled by gods. Gods like Norse gods or Greek gods, not like the omniscient, omnipotent Abrahamic god. This a world warped by reality-bending magicians on a titanic scale (gods, demigods, saints, etc). What happens when all these miracles and structures disappear when the divinities are killed? Pockets of craziness.

I'm afraid the characters and plot are just okay, nothing great, but the setting more than makes up for it, IMO.

This book was apparently a finalist for the World Fantasy award but lost to The Bone Clocks. Apparently, the Sad Puppies debacle pushed City of Stairs off the Hugo nominations which is a pity. I'm off to read the other two books in the series.

P.S. Do not read the blurb for the third book, it's a spoiler.

That's definitely fixed in book two.  Mulaghesh's arc is just fantastic.  I still need to get to the third book.

34 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

That's definitely fixed in book two.  Mulaghesh's arc is just fantastic.  I still need to get to the third book.

I'm on book two right now! I'm only halfway and, yes, Mulaghesh's POV is much better than Shana. Shana is okay but this is better. 

One thing I forgot to say is that I loved the ending of City of Stairs. It was so perfect that I debated whether or not to read the other books in the series since I was afraid that the other books would ruin a perfect open ending. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that book two, City of Blades, won't disappoint.

I read Moreno-Garcia's Mexican Gothic and enjoyed it for the most part.  Can't put my finger on it but something felt...missing from this book.  I don't know what.  Just left me cold at times.  Still a good book.

Next I read Craig's Resurrection Men.  I just finished this one last night.  Great story with good characters...some great who hopefully are still around as we continue.  Lore and society and intrigue...none of my guesses panned out.  None.  The end...the last few pages are an ass kicking that really thickens the plot to vastly understate the situation.  Good thing I already have Lord of the Hunt ready.

14 hours ago, Astromech said:

I finished Fiona Mozley's Elmet. A slow burn with a reasonable payoff at the end. Nice, moody Yorkshire-set story. A different take on the rural noir I'm used to. Setting-wise at least.

That was my favourite of the Booker short-list for that year. It's beautiful. 

20 hours ago, Gigei said:

The trilogy did get nominated for a Best Series Hugo a couple of years later.

I did really like the series, I agree the setting was fascinating. I also enjoyed the more recent Founders series, although I think the world is a bit less interesting than the earlier books.

I really liked the Divine Cities trilogy as well.  City of Blades is the best book, I think, but I thought the quality was fairly consistent throughout.  I've not tried any of Bennett's later work yet.

This month I've promised myself that I'll finally finish A Sword from Red Ice.

19 hours ago, williamjm said:

There was a weird mini-glut of books/series with similar settings to this around that time. I found Max Gladstone's Craft series to be the best of them (though it takes a slightly different, less epic-fantasy, more urban-fantasy/detective and more comic slant than the rest) alongside this one, but if you've not read them you may also enjoy Ben Peek's Godless (not read the sequels but I will) and Luke Scull's Grim Company (very enjoyable trilogy, an Abercrombie-ish attitude to the premise),

Archived