US politics: sick semper tyrannis

IheartIheartTesla

I stayed up late playing on a PTR and didn't catch the news before going to bed. It's a shame.

56 minutes ago, sifth said:

Million dollar question, will there be a second or third debate because of this mess?

Doubtful. He's probably still got more or less a week before he gets actually sick.

Frankly I don't know why in the hell Biden would agree to another in-person debate at this point considering the first time Trump and his entire family put Biden, his entire family, and his campaign staff at risk in the first one.  Maybe a zoom, but that's gonna be really dumb with all of Trump's interruptions.

6 minutes ago, sifth said:

Million dollar question, will there be a second or third debate because of this mess?

If he has it, which I'm not 100% on because he is a deceiver, his reaction will probably depend on the viral load he received.  Its really too soon to tell.

My friend's mother went from "I'm doing fine and this is no problem" to dead in 3 days.   But lots of other people barely notice it.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Frankly I don't know why in the hell Biden would agree to another in-person debate at this point considering the first time Trump and his entire family put Biden, his entire family, and his campaign staff at risk in the first one.  Maybe a zoom, but that's gonna be really dumb with all of Trump's interruptions.

Assuming Trump recovers, have the debate be no audience at all (the town hall participants can be virtual) and have Trump, Biden, and the moderator all be a minimum of 50 feet away from each other. They can have speaker systems setup so they can hear each other.

Though personally I doubt another debate happens.

If there is poetic justice in this world, Trump being placed on a ventilator for 40 days and surviving but waking up from coma as a presidential loser, and his assets plundered by his children would demonstrate it.  Bonus points for delirium/sick bed confessions that are irrefutable and undeniable by his base, e.g., calling white supremacists and the religious right “idiots who vote for me and fall for my lies”

Just now, Fez said:

Assuming Trump recovers, have the debate be no audience at all (the town hall participants can be virtual) and have Trump, Biden, and the moderator all be a minimum of 50 feet away from each other. They can have speaker systems setup so they can hear each other.

Though personally I doubt another debate happens.

Outside is best from what I've read.

1 minute ago, Gertrude said:

That would make it easier to mute him though, right?

I guess, but it's not like zoom invented the mute button - they could cut the mic of whomever isn't speaking in an in-person debate just as easily.   It's just Trump's camp already signaled the last couple days he would not accept that.

19 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Yes, I seem to be very scared right now that Trump will win because of a sympathy vote by all those suburban soccer moms who would otherwise vote against him. 

If Trump had been taking the virus seriously all along, both in directing the response and in how he acted personally, I could easily see him winning a pretty big sympathy vote (though note that Clinton did not get seemingly get a sympathy vote from her pneumonia diagnosis, which was about this time before the 2016 election)

As is, with everything he's done to minimize the federal response and not take protections himself, I don't see how he gets any sympathy voters. So far the reaction seems to be much more "chickens coming home to roost" or people not believing the diagnosis (from both the left and right).

21 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Yes, I seem to be very scared right now that Trump will win because of a sympathy vote by all those suburban soccer moms who would otherwise vote against him. 

I dont think anyone knows what the electoral impact will be, Part of the reason is that his real response to the virus will become apparent in a week or so. I'd suggest Democrats wait a bit before coming up with their response to all of this.

1 minute ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I dont think anyone knows what the electoral impact will be, Part of the reason is that his real response to the virus will become apparent in a week or so. I'd suggest Democrats wait a bit before coming up with their response to all of this.

I think right now you focus on the reckless behavior Trump and co. committed solely since the debate - from his family refusing to put their masks back on while watching the debate to not reporting Hicks' positive test to him going to a fundraiser knowing Hicks tested positive and had symptoms.

31 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Then again...

I fully expect him to have a week of mild symptoms and be released into the wild again efficiently. It will be interesting the next couple of days to see who among his cadre are also positive. If it's only this small handful, and all of them recover swiftly, it will be more ammunition for him - a show of strength and a knock on the Lib's overreaction to the virus. If reports pop up over the weekend that a dozen staffers are sick, it will be a major talking point for his rivals to focus on. If someone in his close circle, God forbid, succumbs, that loss of life can and will be directly pinned on him.

It's morbid to have to consider the level a deadly disease will affect the President and his staff, but here we are. How is that Mars colonization thing going? Will they need bartenders over there?

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

I think right now you focus on the reckless behavior Trump and co. committed solely since the debate - from his family refusing to put their masks back on while watching the debate to not reporting Hicks' positive test to him going to a fundraiser knowing Hicks tested positive and had symptoms.

Ya the message from this is "Trump can't/won't even protect his own family, so why would you trust him with yours?"

Mike Lee is positive.

Unknown if this is connected to the Trump outbreak or a separate incident. Either way though, he's been around a lot of senators this week. He also met with Amy Barrett this week.

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So how many senators have to be out to derail Barrett's confirmation?

Well, if Collins and Murkowski hold firm, then two.

Mike Lee, btw, is on the Judiciary Committee where it's a 12-10 GOP split.

Archived