US politics: sick semper tyrannis

IheartIheartTesla

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Quite a fancy way of saying, that you, well, fancy him.

With his history, he might very well be up for some pony play.

Assuming he doesn't die.

University of Notre Dame's president just announced he's tested positive, and he also was at that Rose Garden event last Saturday. Seems more and more likely that is the cluster event; though who was the spreader is unknown.

There were a lot of top administration officials there. I'm not sure how many senators besides Lee.

Dem campaign slogan -- for the first time one that is completely true -- "He makes people sick."  And, "It's not over until the fat man makes us all sick."  (Look at the photo that accompanies this article.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/10/02/heres-how-trumps-recklessness-affects-us-all-vp-debate/

The news also puts a spotlight on the vice-presidential debate. According to two sources with knowledge of the negotiations between the teams for Vice President Pence and Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.), Pence’s team is demanding the candidates be seated just seven feet apart from one another. While six feet is the recommended distancing for casual conduct, it is not enough, especially for a 90-minute debate that could result in a shouting match or raised voices, which increases the potential for emission of airborne particles. In the last VP debate involving a woman, Sarah Palin, then vice-presidential candidate Biden acceded to her request to stand. It is unsurprising that Pence would want to avoid facing Harris’s commanding presence, but in light of the health risk, it becomes an outrageous and irresponsible demand.

DMC post from previous thread-

AP WH Correspondent Jonathan Lemire reporting on Morning Joe that Trump knew Hicks tested positive before traveling to New Jersey for a fundraiser yesterday.

ETA:  Here's AP's timeline.

I know it's been posted previous, but this is just so so irresponsible and incompetent. I really hope this story gets more widely reported, till it sinks in with those undecided voters, that Trump is a walking, talking, model of breathtakingly, reckless, negligence.

The last person on earth who should be in a position of authority.

If it turns out that Barrett's nomination is derailed because Trump and Republicans,  in their haste to get her nominated and approved, caused a superspreader event that takes down some Senators for a while...

...is there a German word out there that's a mashup of schadenfreude and hubris? I cannot express the infinite ways in which I would derive joy from just such a scenario.

~I am become Trump, destroyer of parties. Look on my works, ye flighty, and despair!! (Yeah, I know I'm cross-quoting - I'm too happy in my fantasy to care)

In the meantime, Biden's lead in national polls has slowly crept up to ~8 (and he has 51% of the vote). The last 3 polls out of Georgia have him up, and the Siena poll from last week had him even.

Georgia would be a nice pick up, but just like Texas I wonder what shenanigans Kemp is planning.

Just now, IheartIheartTesla said:

Georgia would be a nice pick up, but just like Texas I wonder what shenanigans Kemp is planning.

Yeah after what they did to Abrams I'm not holding my breath on Georgia until he has an aggregate lead outside the usual margin of error (so 3-4 points).

WRT to that Super Spreader Event.

You know, there's a song for everything, and I like to think in songs.

I think that's the one you should send to your GOP friends, who got all hard for the Barrett nomination.

No idea whether this will go viral and enter the charts again.

40 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I got a call from our company's General Counsel today...that meeting I was at? One of the people was positive. I've been quarantined.

I called urgent care to get scheduled for a test.

Good luck to you.

By the way, for those wondering about the title, I didnt take Latin in high school (more of a Sanskrit guy myself), but I do know the original phrase "sic semper tyrannis" means "thus always to tyrants". So my first ever Latin pun was (I think) "fever always to tyrants"

Yeah, yeah never explain your jokes. The fact that John Wilkes Booth yelled this in the theater is purely coincidental.

There are signs Trump's not getting a light case. 

MSNBC reported that he's constantly tested, mostly daily, though it wasn't mentioned if it's the rapid test or the better, slower test. If he's been getting the good test daily, then he's showing symptoms very early which is bad. He's a machine and was reported as being so lethargic that it started people talking. And he hasn't tweeted in 13 hours. Pence took over the call still remaining on his schedule.

It was also reported on MSNBC that he's had high cholesterol in the past though not sure if that's still the case and he has - hope I have this right - metabolic syndrome which is a pre-diabetic condition.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

By the by, I'm not quite sure if the timing works out, but Trump/Hicks/McDaniels/Lee were all at the Rose Garden event last Saturday to introduce Barrett. There's a good chance there was a superspreader there that is the source of all this. And with that recent study showing that 80% of people don't pass the virus on at all, hopefully it'll mean that none of them got anyone else infected (aka that Biden is safe).

The karma would be magnificent. There is more data coming in that this could be very possible. 

This is the same guy who penned an op-ed in the NYT explaining why re-opening the university was worth the risk. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/26/opinion/notre-dame-university-coronavirus.html

Just now, Simon Steele said:

If there are complications for Trump (to the point he can't continue running), does Pence take over? Only in the interim (say, if they win, only until Trump recovers)? Is Pence a more dangerous person to be running right now than Trump due to the fact he has discipline?

Pence will take over if the President in unable to perform his duties, but only until the President recovers.

Your third question is a matter of opinion more than fact which I will let others comment on. 

Archived