US politics: sick semper tyrannis

IheartIheartTesla

15 minutes ago, sologdin said:

the utilitarians probably think the greatest happiness for the greatest number will result from a trump covid decease, which makes it an ethical result (not sure how they would take agitating or hoping for it, but i imagine hoping for ethical result is itself ethical). kantian types by contrast probably regard trump's becoming a means to our end as an unethical result; we should rather act on that principle that might be made universal--such as the plague is our enemy (though his failure to adhere to sanitary rules will make his affliction a just desert, likely, regardless of how anyone feels about it).

To be clear, that's Bentham's utilitarianism, not necessarily Mill's.  Maybe my impression is mistaken, but I'm surprised with your seeming affinity for Kantian principles.  I suppose they make sense for a lawyer, but the implications of his universalism and imperatives seem counterintuitive to a lot of what I've seen you express here.  Personally I find him dispensable, but that may also reflect differences in rhetorical taste.

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

@DMC rabbithole question for you.

Suppose, Pence joins the Don as not being able to perform the duties as POTUS, that would mean Pelosi's next in line right?

So in that (unfortunately) very unlikely case she could stonewall the turtle and effectively throw a spanner in the workings of the Barrett confirmation, right?

Heh, Fez asked this question right before Trump announced last night, and I responded literally as Trump tweeted:

Trump is now being treated with an experimental treatment from Regeneron. The fact that he had a low grade fever from this morning suggests he is getting worse and they are taking this very seriously. That would fall under the Compassionate Use heading. It’s an antibody cocktail.

Regeneron is a $500+ stock and the price is going up in the after hours. $15 so far.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Trump is now being treated with an experimental treatment from Regeneron. The fact that he had a low grade fever from this morning suggests he is getting worse and they are taking this very seriously. That would fall under the Compassionate Use heading. It’s an antibody cocktail.

Regeneron is a $500+ stock and the price is going up in the after hours. $15 so far.

yup. Extremely vague statement from the WH doc, as well

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I haven't been following the latest COVID medical news in a while. Is this a previously known experimental treatment or is today the first time anyone's heard of it?

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

I haven't been following the latest COVID medical news in a while. Is this a previously known experimental treatment or is today the first time anyone's heard of it?

I've read some stories about it before (or possibly a similar treatment from another company). I hadn't seen this particular story before but they were reporting some early results a few days ago:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/29/regenerons-covid-19-antibody-may-help-non-hospitalized-patients-recover-faster-early-data-show/

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Trump is now being treated with an experimental treatment from Regeneron.

Regeneron sounds like the name of some superdrug in a bad futuristic action flick, like Demolition Man - or even one of the Nolans if they felt like being lazy.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Quick google search. Not into bio-tech/pharmacy, and it reads more like sale/press release, but seems more sound than his pet drug hydroycholoroquine. Again, take this with a vast grain of salt.

Our resident pharma geeks may have a better idea tho.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Regeneron sounds like the name of some superdrug in a bad futuristic action flick, like Demolition Man - or even one of the Nolans if they felt like being lazy.

It sounds like it should be a drug for Transformers.

I suppose it makes a change from all the drugs that sound like weapons from fantasy novels like Remservdir.

48 minutes ago, Durckad said:

I certainly wouldn't wish death by covid on anyone, but I definitely won't say how sorry I am or how terrible it is that it happened in this case.

Indeed. Obviously it would be better if covid didn't exist at all, but given that it does, Trump would be the last person to deserve a swift and complete recovery.

4 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I've read some stories about it before (or possibly a similar treatment from another company). I hadn't seen this particular story before but they were reporting some early results a few days ago:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/29/regenerons-covid-19-antibody-may-help-non-hospitalized-patients-recover-faster-early-data-show/

Thanks. It sounds like a "well, it probably couldn't hurt so why not?" treatment. But for his doctor to approve any sort of experimental treatment for the freaking US President sounds to me like he's doing far worse than the public statement.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Maybe Trump will grow claw-like bone spurs out of his hands as a result of this treatment. He can don some oversized spandex and fight Antifa as the Whinerine.

2 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Maybe Trump will grow claw-like bone spurs out of his hands as a result of this treatment. He can don some oversized spandex and fight Antifa as the Whinerine.

Trump is an expert in bone spurs, but Wolverine's mutation - in that regard - was natural.  Trump's is decidedly not.

Just now, DMC said:

Trump is an expert in bone spurs, but Wolverine's mutation - in that regard - was natural.  Trump's is decidedly not.

FAKE NEWS from the Lamestream Media.

Trump has definitely had bone spur-based super powers since at least the Vietnam War. 

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ninja’d by James. There’s a Presidential suite at Walter Reed. It’s being done as a “precaution”.

This isn't even on Google News yet. I suppose you two must be watching TV.

Archived