US politics: sick semper tyrannis

IheartIheartTesla

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

I feel like a simple sex scandal - among consenting adults - is just quaint at this point.  Let alone one that so far only was only through the phone.

Well...perhaps we should toss in a dead body, allegations of fraud with the vote counting machines, and enough missing cash to purchase the proverbial small country?  would that spice it up a bit?  Or would this be where you take issue with those 'Writing 2020?'

1 minute ago, ThinkerX said:

Well...perhaps we should toss in a dead body, allegations of fraud with the vote counting machines, and enough missing cash to purchase the proverbial small country?  would that spice it up a bit?  Or would this be where you take issue with those 'Writing 2020?'

Not sure what you're on about.  Just saying I don't think it'll have too much of an impact on the race compared to everything else going on.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So with Tillis and Lee out, what's the current senate count wrt Barrett.

Assuming Murkowski stays with her no, we need one more, right?

Yes, but that one - at least based on public statements - is still Collins.  She'd have to flip on it, which would look pretty bad at this point.  More importantly, who knows if she'll have to.  Tillis and Lee have only tested positive.  Interestingly (although not coincidentally considering they were both at the Rose Garden event), they are both on the Judiciary Committee.  But even that vote likely wasn't going to be taken for about three weeks from today.  So, it's quite premature to count on them being "out."  I guess they'll probably miss most of the hearings if the schedule stays as planned.

Just now, Chataya de Fleury said:

Susan Collins. Explicitly stated.

What was the saying again, I don't trust Susan Collins any further than I can spit?

Like I said, I think Murkowski word still holds some value, Collins not so much.

Any odds, if he ends up recovering, Trump can use this episode as an excuse to bow out of the race, either through genuine thoughts of his own mortality, or to avoid the potential looming embarrassment of losing?  Not sure what it would do to down-ticket Republicans but I could see it being a less-humiliating option to the narcissist.  If a doctor phrased it “COVID is like bone spurs, but for your lungs?”, I bet he’d go for it

So that is 23 known cases stemming from one event that was attended by probably no more than a hundred people. The country of New Zealand has 41 active cases across their entire population. Just in case you need another piece of evidence It is purposeful incompetence that is perpetuating this virus at the level it is at.

5 hours ago, Castellan said:

"He said Trump had been administered a Regeneron polyclonal antibody cocktail and has been taking zinc, vitamin D, famotidine, melatonin and a daily aspirin."

Just in case it becomes personally relevant, can we assume this is the best treatment?

Interesting, very interesting. Because, things like this are very very hard to find from open sources.

The Regeneron is completely new treatment. It is not completely validated and may backfire.

Tucker Carlson Compares Trump To A Sexual Assault Victim
Saying Trump should have taken pecautions against COVID-19 is the same as blaming an assault victim for “dressing provocatively,” the Fox News host said.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tucker-carlson-compares-trump-to-sex-assault-victim-covid-19_n_5f77db27c5b64b480aadf6d0

Fox News host Tucker Carlson dropped a crass comparison Friday as he insisted that “the left” criticizing Donald Trump’s behavior in contracting COVID-19 is the same as blaming the victim of a sexual assault.

Critics have pointed out that the president could have vastly reduced his chances of getting the coronavirus by following the strongly recommended guidelines of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, such as avoiding crowds, wearing a mask and maintaining appropriate social distancing.

Instead, he has hosted crowded campaign rallies — against the advice of several local officials — where few people, including the president, have worn masks or maintained a safe distance.

Carlson falsely insisted that CNN said Trump “deserved the sickness that he got.” He played a clip of CNN’s John Harwood, for example, who said that the president’s behavior has put a “lot of people” in “jeopardy,” including the “president himself.”

“Imagine,” said a disgusted Carlson. Trump “just announced he was infected ... he deserved it,” the Fox News host added, repeating what he imagined the “left” had said. “They didn’t wait long.”

Carlson summed up his view of the media’s — and the Democrats’ — perspective on Trump as: “He asked for it. He was dressed provocatively.”

Critics on Twitter couldn’t quite believe it.

8 hours ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Pretty worrying he is being taken to hospital at this stage of the infection. It seems more usual that if Covid-19 gets really nasty it happens after you've had it for some time (about a week).  

He's the president and they are doing some experimental treatment with him. An hospital setting is the best place to monitor his health. Although fast worsening of symptoms is not unheard, many physicians argue that treatments should start early on if you want a good outcome. If you wait for too long the expectations are not good.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Not sure what you're on about.  Just saying I don't think it'll have too much of an impact on the race compared to everything else going on.

Honestly politicians having affairs just seem entirely personal matters. 
I pity Cumming’s wife wife though.

Though I pity the country even more if this scandal actually Cumming’s chance to get re-elected.

4 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I pity Cumming’s wife wife though.

Though I pity the country even more if this scandal actually Cumming’s chance to get re-elected.

Well, the only Cumming I can currently think of is Alan, and I'd pity his wife as well - most likely because she'd be a beard.

As for Cal Cunningham's wife, yes, these are the type of stories that have nothing to do with how Cunningham would perform as a public official, and is just damaging to his family.  It's taken awhile but I think the American public at-large is finally getting over such bullshit.  We'll see if North Carolina has, it's a good test frankly.  Cunningham does have a shitload of money to combat it.

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, the only Cumming I can currently think of is Alan, and I'd pity his wife as well - most likely because she'd be a beard.

Alan Cumming is bisexual, not gay, and was married to a woman for years.

8 minutes ago, mormont said:

Alan Cumming is bisexual, not gay, and was married to a woman for years.

Indeed, and they divorced 27 years ago.  And he's been married to a man for the past 13 years.  Hence why I said "most likely."

44 minutes ago, DMC said:

As for Cal Cunningham's wife, yes, these are the type of stories that have nothing to do with how Cunningham would perform as a public official, and is just damaging to his family.  It's taken awhile but I think the American public at-large is finally getting over such bullshit.  We'll see if North Carolina has, it's a good test frankly.  Cunningham does have a shitload of money to combat it.

Jesus Christ I spelled Cunningham’s name wrong twice.

That is embarrassing.

Archived