US politics: sick semper tyrannis

IheartIheartTesla

So the Cough Dinner (my submission for the competition) is playing out tremendously. It was a beautiful thing. Chuck [Grassley] was there, and Mike [Lee].

Ok, that four year old trope about Trump killing the GOP might still be an overstatement, but that opportunistic little germ, has got them sick of winning.

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What's the rule if he does die? Is Pence automatically the nominee? And does trump dying, and someone who is less clinically insane taking over, make it a toss up election? 

the republican party charter has several options going forward; pence is not automatically the nominee though.  and each state has rules for getting him on the ballot--lotsa deadlines have run already.  it'd be a disaster for them.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Now I’m thinking that while it was a strategy to be aggressive and obnoxious at the debate to throw off Biden and get him stuttering, Trump may have done extra loud yelling to get those aerosols across that 12 foot gap...

I think that's overthinking. Trump is an arsehole. But he isn't that smart. So the obnoxiousness was just Trump being Trump, nothing more.

19 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

All of Trump's family being negative except Melania now looks even more suspect than usual.

How so?  That the two of them were actually, legitimately, in contact with each other?  I'm not sure how much, if any, of the rest of his family was at the Rose Garden event.  Judging by this picture I can't see them on a quick glance.

17 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What's the rule if he does die? Is Pence automatically the nominee? And does trump dying, and someone who is less clinically insane taking over, make it a toss up election? 

If Trump dies, Pence automatically becomes president.  While he won't technically be the nominee, the party will immediately coalesce around him, that's not really debatable.  He will be the only one on the ballot who's, ya know, alive.  Then, he can announce a VP pick, and all voters paying attention will understand that a vote for Trump/Pence is actually a vote for Pence/TBD.  As for the third question, an incumbent president dying this close to an election - especially one wholly reliant on his cult of personality - is very unlikely to help his party's electoral chances.

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Now I’m thinking that while it was a strategy to be aggressive and obnoxious at the debate to throw off Biden and get him stuttering, Trump may have done extra loud yelling to get those aerosols across that 12 foot gap...

More likely he was just more amped than usual from extra helpings of whatever "Sudafed" they give him when he's in his manic rally mode.  

Also:  The Covid Convention?  The Covid Convening?  The Rona Rally?

get those aerosols across that 12 foot gap...

from a post-debate breitbart interview--

I just start misting them. It's like a magnet. Just mist. I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab 'em by the bronchi. You can do anything.

58 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Majority members of the Justice Committee:

Senator Chuck Grassley R-IA. 

Senator John Cornyn R-TX.

Senator Ted Cruz R-TX. 

Senator Joni Ernst R-IA.

I'm just realizing that Ernst is on the Judicial committee (I should have know this). It seems odd that there are two states that are double dipping in the same committee. These states seem to have disproportional influence? I know the D/R split is the important one since everything is partyline, but not all states are equal and voters have different priorities that senators have to (theoretically) cater to. Why don't they split up the senators on committees?

Archived