Am I the only one disturbed by how motherly Dany is to her dragons?

Alyn Oakenfist

12 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I mean just take the number of time she thinks of them as her children. Don't worry I'm not implying that she'll go mad, but I think it's a sign of future ruthlessness just how affectionate Dany is towards these killing machines

The only Targaryens that weren't an absolute "fan" of dragons are Aegon III (bc Sunfyre ate his mother) and Princess Daella, who actually was afraid of them. She bring them alive, why couldn't she think about the dragons future as her own responsibility? She never thinks about them the way like that they came out from "there". 

1 minute ago, HerblYY said:

She bring them alive, why couldn't she think about the dragons future as her own responsibility? She never thinks about them the way like that they came out from "there". 

Yes, thing is most children are not perfectly capable of killing countless people in an instant

11 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Yes, thing is most children are not perfectly capable of killing countless people in an instant

Well, that's what these animals are. This is their nature. Protecting others from her "children" is his quest, which he eventually fails. If you read the F&B, you know that when a Targaryen got a newborn hatchling, it became her/his responsibility, to make that animal accept the humans. From her perspective, these are the only children that she could ever have. Why couldn't she think about them as her children? She came out with them from the flames that hatched the 3 dragons.

And after all, they are not killing machines, nor nukes. They are predators,  above every creature, just like humans, and if the AWOIAF book is to be believed, they are handmade too (tho this seems unlikely to me, idk why).

After all, aren't you motherly to an animal that you raise, in order to that animal will be more friendly to peoples? On this one, Dany failed.

Maybe you should question this with GRRM, she is the "mother of dragons", probably her son's life was the payment for hatching dragon eggs, she hatched the eggs, she breastfed them, it was put like that because GRRM wanted it that way, it doesn't exist a definite explanation beyond that, Dany knows their potential for destruction, but she still loves them very much. I think the only relationship that will change from now on will be hers with Drogon, she is starting to see him as a part of her, not just a son like the other two. 

There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, the flame came roaring out in a hot jet. She could hear it singing to her.

Drogon raised his head, blood dripping from his teeth. The hero leapt onto his back and drove the iron spearpoint down at the base of the dragon's long scaled neck.
Dany and Drogon screamed as one.

"She would sooner have returned to Meereen on dragon's wings, to be sure. But that was a desire Drogon did not seem to share"

"Drogon had bent before the whip, and so must she. She had to don her crown again and return to her ebon bench and the arms of her noble husband"

On Drogon's back she felt whole. Up in the sky the woes of this world could not touch her. How could she abandon that?

I didn't even think about it. Americans treat their pets like children.

We saw the same thing with the Starks. They got wolf pups who lost their mother and Ned warned them that they were a big responsibility. Some characters thought the Starks were nuts for keeping direwolves as "wetnurses". There's a bit of a reversal now that I think on it. The young dragon or pup is the child of the Targ or Stark, but the animal grows to be the mother in the form of a protector.

Some may be a bit of the mothers going a bit or a lot nuts from losing their children. This treatment is too heavy-handed for my liking as we see it in Dany, Cat, Cersei, Lysa, etc,

I saw the endearment near humanization of her monsters and genuine affection she has for them as a link maybe a really young person could make.  Not so much luck or skill but she doesn't really understand how to frame love.  She is a kinslayer, a warrior and revolutionary.  She is a damned good conqueror.  She still reminds me of these whispering age things between she and Sansa.  Dany's still finding her way, but she has no clue what it is to be part of a family that i dunno, maybe valued her.  Viserys was pretty twisted and he wasn't an old guy.  Maybe the perfect age and circumstances to completely disconnect from your family or as a casualty of it.  They sure seemed like a sad pair of kids who became maybe less valuable as Robert's New World Order seemed to be OK with everyone.   No one was really miserable.  It was a time of peace for long stretches.  And then it imploded.   Dany had little idea what word of Westeros she caught.  Sounds like Westeros was Viserys' what? ambition? design? I don't know, but neither did she, really.  We often lose track of Dany's age because she has had such a secular existence, but she's just a kid with no frame of reference.  She may believe she brought the dragons forth and she may have for all I know.  The point is the dragons have been with her since her life changed.  That's her longest lasting relationship thus far.  It's twisted, but in an innocent sort of twisted way she feels their experiences are her destiny.  Young.  Clueless.  All she's got to call her own and the only reflection she actually has to any past.  Imagine what a life like Margaery's would have done for a child like Dany.    She might understand relationships better.  All these kids in this story are so young.  

7 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I mean just take the number of time she thinks of them as her children. Don't worry I'm not implying that she'll go mad, but I think it's a sign of future ruthlessness just how affectionate Dany is towards these killing machines

Daenerys Targaryen's bond with her dragons is wonderful.  She is Azor Ahai and she hatched them from petrified eggs.  Those dragons owe their lives to her.

Now, the Starks on the other hand, their warging into their mutts are very disturbing.  Take Bran, for example.  He has tasted corrupted human flesh through his warg with his pooch.  What the Starks do with their mutts is sickening. 

1 hour ago, Lady Topspin said:

Daenerys Targaryen's bond with her dragons is wonderful.  She is Azor Ahai and she hatched them from petrified eggs.  Those dragons owe their lives to her.

Now, the Starks on the other hand, their warging into their mutts are very disturbing.  Take Bran, for example.  He has tasted corrupted human flesh through his warg with his pooch.  What the Starks do with their mutts is sickening. 

As opposed to Dany letting glorified fire lizards suck at her breasts? Not creepy at all... Seriously though, this is a real example of applying one standard to characters you like and denying it applies to characters you don't like. Since I like both Dany and the Starks, I'm gonna say that the same standards with regards to their beasts applies equally.

And Drogon did chow down on little Hazzeah. So there's that.

She thinks of them as her children, but they don't seem to be under her control. Drogon escaped when they tried to catch him (after the Hazzeah snack) and Dany was relieved secretly (though she felt guilty, she felt relieved too). gr8

Great Mom. But she must have been like "DROGON!!!! YOU ARE GROUNDED" before Hazzea. Surely she must have anticipated something like that? If not, incompetent. They weren't fire breathing chickens anymore.

And the Pit incident was tooo much. Drogon burned and ate fighters guards and innocent civilians alike. They are monsters, unless they are controlled and ridden. Then no prob for me. 

Since Dany still feels about her dragons like Sid about the T-rex eggs in Ice Age 3, @Alyn Oakenfist, you aren't alone.

EDIT

Daario is a man no sane woman would be attracted to after learning how much of a cruel fickle bastard he is, but Dany was still attracted. Just saying. She loves all bad things

8 hours ago, Lollygag said:

I didn't even think about it. Americans treat their pets like children.

europeans too. I know a guy who jumped into frozen river to save his doggy when ice broke under the little son, not even thinking for a 0,1 of a second. what disturbes me most about dany is her thinking of herself as a dragon and getting high on it. sometimes it seems smoke is going to come out of her nostrils in a moment 

2 hours ago, broken one said:

europeans too. I know a guy who jumped into frozen river to save his doggy when ice broke under the little son, not even thinking for a 0,1 of a second. what disturbes me most about dany is her thinking of herself as a dragon and getting high on it. sometimes it seems smoke is going to come out of her nostrils in a moment 

Not to the extent of americans though. It is a rather psychic condition if you have the same emotions towards animals as you have toward humans. Sure, you have sympathy for your animals, and maybe you feel love for them. But is is biologicaly very questionable, if you feel the same love towards animals as you feel towards humans. 

6 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

As opposed to Dany letting glorified fire lizards suck at her breasts? Not creepy at all... Seriously though, this is a real example of applying one standard to characters you like and denying it applies to characters you don't like. Since I like both Dany and the Starks, I'm gonna say that the same standards with regards to their beasts applies equally.

And the Dany-haters don't engage in this type of thinking?  And the O/P is not deliberately and desperately trying to feed the Dany-haters? 

And Drogon did chow down on little Hazzeah. So there's that.

That was never proven

8 hours ago, Lady Topspin said:

Those dragons owe their lives to her.

Wolves owe their lives to the Starks too

The relationship between them is very beautiful, they are as if they were part of each other, I could not say that I am a Stark fan, but this bond between the Starks and their wolves is one of my favorite parts of the books. 

1 hour ago, Kierria said:

And the Dany-haters don't engage in this type of thinking?  And the O/P is not deliberately and desperately trying to feed the Dany-haters? 

That was never proven

Think of it this way: If the Starks are demon-monstrosities whose intimate connection with their wolves is "sickening," than so is Dany's relationship with her dragons. I don't think either of these situations is true, mind you. I love the Starks and their wolves, and I love Dany and her dragons. But if you're gonna criticize the Starks for their relationship to their wolves, than at least apply the standard equally to Dany and her dragons.

And there's no proof he didn't, either. I'd like to beleive he didn't eat Hazzeah. It just seems like he most likely did.

17 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I find the Starks' relationship with their Direwolves the more disturbing.  The affection is fine and a really good thing.  Unfortunately, it does not stop there for the Starks.  The Starks enter the minds of their wolves.  The Starks with wolves will break every taboo there is.  Like killing as wolves and cannibalism.  And the dragons being killing machines?  No more so than the Direwolves.  The only difference is the power.  The dragons are not more aggressive nor predatory in comparison to the Starks' direwolves.  Ghost raided Gilly's rabbit pen and slaughtered the poor girl's rabbits.  Mind you, I do not blame Ghost for that.  The silly human took him on a ranging which put him in a situation where food was scarce.  And his human, Jon Snow, failed to keep adequate supervision over him.  

Future ruthlessness?  How about Robb sending his direwolf to attack.  And using the direwolf in battle.  Rickon's going wild and losing himself in his wolf.  Summer crunched and munched on wight bone marrow while Bran was in him.  Arya tries to force her mind inside an innocent cat.  Do those things automatically make them ruthless?  

Affection for a companion animal is a good thing.  Would you prefer Coldhands?  Most people have little compassion.  It is great to see humans bonding emotionally with other species.  I am not disturbed by Dany's affections towards her dragons.  Nor am I disturbed by the Starks having affections towards their direwolves.  Those are good bonds to have.  Warging though is disturbing and it should make all of us uncomfortable at the least.  It is warging and skinchanging that are bad.

16 minutes ago, Rondo said:

I find the Starks' relationship with their Direwolves the more disturbing.  The affection is fine and a really good thing.  Unfortunately, it does not stop there for the Starks.  The Starks enter the minds of their wolves.  The Starks with wolves will break every taboo there is.  Like killing as wolves and cannibalism.  And the dragons being killing machines?  No more so than the Direwolves.  The only difference is the power.  The dragons are not more aggressive nor predatory in comparison to the Starks' direwolves.  Ghost raided Gilly's rabbit pen and slaughtered the poor girl's rabbits.  Mind you, I do not blame Ghost for that.  The silly human took him on a ranging which put him in a situation where food was scarce.  And his human, Jon Snow, failed to keep adequate supervision over him.  

Future ruthlessness?  How about Robb sending his direwolf to attack.  And using the direwolf in battle.  Rickon's going wild and losing himself in his wolf.  Summer crunched and munched on wight bone marrow while Bran was in him.  Arya tries to force her mind inside an innocent cat.  Do those things automatically make them ruthless?  

Affection for a companion animal is a good thing.  Would you prefer Coldhands?  Most people have little compassion.  It is great to see humans bonding emotionally with other species.  I am not disturbed by Dany's affections towards her dragons.  Nor am I disturbed by the Starks having affections towards their direwolves.  Those are good bonds to have.  Warging though is disturbing and it should make all of us uncomfortable at the least.  It is warging and skinchanging that are bad.

Skinchanging is a gift. Those direwolves were meant to be theirs, the gods made it happen this way. Will your mother feed you until the end of time? I don't think so, at some point you have to take care about yourself. So people don't have the right to mount a horse, because horses are supposed to live free? You sound like too much of a hippie, in the middleages.

Animals (at least some of them) are for serving humans, yet they can be the friend of them.

As far as we know, Nymeria wanted to remain with Arya, Jon, Robb and Rickon never actually warged the way Bran did.

If you have problem with skinchanging, it is your problem, the gift was given to use, not to waste it (warging a human is one of the worst crimes tho).

Archived