Am I the only one disturbed by how motherly Dany is to her dragons?

Alyn Oakenfist

6 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

I'll just add that the only true psychopaths in this story are Ramsay Snow and Gregor Clegane

Calling Clegane a psychopath is a mistake in that I don't think it could be said he belongs to the human race. Relly getting zombified was the natural way forward for him.

43 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I'm pretty sure that distinction goes to good ol' Tywin. Also I'm not condoning her more murderous stuff, especially the crucifixions. She did them however in a moment of rage and later seemed to have fully realized her mistake. It was a fucked up thing to do, but it was a constant thing she did. Arya had been murdering people since ACOK with the rate getting higher and higher

Tywin may have the lead now but by the end of TWOW I fully expect Dany to pull ahead when she starts seriously unleashing some fire and  blood on her enemies.  I can't wait  .:wub:

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

Tywin may have the lead now but by the end of TWOW I fully expect Dany to pull ahead when she starts seriously unleashing some fire and  blood on her enemies.  I can't wait  .:wub:

I mean if the wildfire those eventually go off, the Aerys would probably have the honored distinction

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

And is that supposed to excuse the serial killings?

Is there any excuse for murder? After all, there is none.

We like Arya for being what she is, I'm pretty fine with her killing Daeron. The things I'm afraid of are the ones that are about to come. 

Didn't Jon beheaded Janos Slynt for personal.reasons too? Yet, it didn't make me dislike the character, I did appreciate it, tho.

Doesn't Dany betrayed her own blood, even tho he was cruel to her? Yes he did.

To be honest, I don't like what this forum became. Mocking characters for their mistakes, mocking the lords for their position, mocking the feudalism system, mocking the weather, mocking the middleages, mocking the bird on the three, or mocking someone for having the gift or riding a dragon, etc... Just stop, and start talking about why did something happend the way it did, or I dunno.

Realize already that sincethe 3 dragons live thanks to her, they became her responsibility, the word mother is a metaphor, neither she thinks of it the literal way, this is symbolism dude.

5 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Yes, we love the dragons. 

They are her children, she sacrificed the stallion that mounts the world for these three diamonds in the rough. 

They will cleanse westeros of sin with their holy fire.

You know the situation with the Dany fanboys/girls is bad when I had to read twice to make sure it was sarcasm

1 minute ago, HerblYY said:

He's not psychopath, but a ruthless, calm and weird man.

One of his conversations with Ramsay and some other facts make me think they may share some hobbies. Plus he seems to be fearless.

2 minutes ago, broken one said:

One of his conversations with Ramsay and some other facts make me think they may share some hobbies. Plus he seems to be fearless.

Cruelty is some kind of tradition in House Bolton. Do you know their banner, I think.

2 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

We've yet to see him showing any kind of empathy

Again, not being empathic doesn't mean you're mentally unstable, or even a psychopath.

7 minutes ago, HerblYY said:

Cruelty is some kind of tradition in House Bolton. Do you know their banner, I think.

Sure, the skeleton hand candelabra and stuff. But still I speculate there must have been decent Boltons in the line, like inconsolable Domeric. And that Ramsay is his fathers 'true son' 

9 hours ago, broken one said:

europeans too. I know a guy who jumped into frozen river to save his doggy when ice broke under the little son, not even thinking for a 0,1 of a second. what disturbes me most about dany is her thinking of herself as a dragon and getting high on it. sometimes it seems smoke is going to come out of her nostrils in a moment 

I imagine she picked that up from Viserys who was all about being a dragon, blah, blah, blah. There's also a strongly implied dragon compulsion which seems genetic (dragon dreams, Maester Aemon) and that may be a factor, too. Weirds me out, too, but in her defense, that seems to be a Westerosi thing with their sigils.

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

I'm pretty sure unfair medieval nukes a.k.a Dragons aren't in the top 10 popular pets of America 

GRRM's American so it make sense some culture made it into the books. People like to keep all kinds of cute baby animals as pets that don't really make great pets when grown. Realizing this issue is part of the story. We already saw it with the wolves in that the Starks really didn't process the problems of taking freaking direwolves to the Red Keep and KL.

Dany's only a teenager with no real experience or education about dragons. Her ADWD arc is about realizing how cute little dragons who are easy to mother and make pets become a whole other issue when they grow up. So to my point, I still don't think it's weird.

3 minutes ago, broken one said:

Sure, the skeleton hand candelabra and stuff. But still I speculate there must have been decent Boltons in the line, like inconsolable Domeric. And that Ramsay is his fathers 'true son' 

After all, these are just stereotypes, and stereotypes don't fit on everyone.

1 hour ago, broken one said:

Roose is a sociopath, Ramsay is a phsyopath. Roose is the calm, cold, calculated one whilst Ramsay is the idiot who will no doubt be killed by Roose after his father decides that his Mountain That Rides has no more uses. 

It would be unusual if she didn't feel maternal towards those dragons.  Their birth was not the usual way of Targaryen dragons.  Daenerys obviously knows her dragons are not humans.  The dragons also know Daenerys is not a dragon.  But there is no reason to avoid feelings of attachment just because they are not biologically related.  The Starks have the same bond with their direwolves.  Obviously the direwolves are not domesticated dogs and have more independence.  But the connection is very strong.  

Assuming these are the only dragons and direwolves.  That makes their preservation more important than the average human life.  Their species and its survival depend on the three dragons and the remaining direwolves.  Their lives are more precious than an equal number of humans.  Humans are not in short supply.  

On 10/2/2020 at 4:42 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I mean just take the number of time she thinks of them as her children. Don't worry I'm not implying that she'll go mad, but I think it's a sign of future ruthlessness just how affectionate Dany is towards these killing machines

I don't really see a problem with her thinking of her dragons as her children. She was told she'd never have kids, its natural for people who can't have kids to think of their pets as their children. Breastfeeding them is beyond weird tho.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:55 PM, Lady Topspin said:

Daenerys Targaryen's bond with her dragons is wonderful.  She is Azor Ahai and she hatched them from petrified eggs.  Those dragons owe their lives to her.

Now, the Starks on the other hand, their warging into their mutts are very disturbing.  Take Bran, for example.  He has tasted corrupted human flesh through his warg with his pooch.  What the Starks do with their mutts is sickening. 

:agree:

Archived