In normal times how friendly are the wildligns and the watch?

Alyn Oakenfist

It's pretty much stated several times that they are slightly tolerant of each other.

There's Craster for one, then Mance says there's commerce between them, Varamyr corroborates this too and the tale of Mance's cloak involves him being healed by a freefolk woman.

I assume that while there are some big assholes in both sides, like The Weeper and Alliser Thorne, most of them can get along fine.

Tho I assume the freefolk (rightly) resents what the NW represents.

5 minutes ago, CamiloRP said:

It's pretty much stated several times that they are slightly tolerant of each other.

There's Craster for one, then Mance says there's commerce between them, Varamyr corroborates this too and the tale of Mance's cloak involves him being healed by a freefolk woman.

I assume that while there are some big assholes in both sides, like The Weeper and Alliser Thorne, most of them can get along fine.

Tho I assume the freefolk (rightly) resents what the NW represents.

And that's it.

Going by the level of superstition and prejudice and stereotypical opinions among members of the NW like Poor Bowen and Co., the friendliness level on a scale of 1-10 is some where in - 8542543226807733990. 

In recent times at least. And it's not - 8542543226807733990. Minus infinity. 

13 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I don't recall, did they fight in 76? I know the 6 days war in 67 but Lebanon was neutral then.

Correct, Lebanon wasn't involved in the 67 war, nor the 73 war. The year-span I mentioned was the peaceful years.
1949 was when the war of Israeli independence ended, and the armistice between Israel and Lebanon began. A Lebanese civil war started in 1975, and in 1976 some of the factions in the civil war (lead by Palestinian militias who were deported from Jordan) reached a point of starting to focus hostilities against Israel. That lead to the birth of various terrorist organizations such as Amal, and Later Hezbollah, which gave way once again to the bloody conflict between Israel Defense Forces and Lebanon based terrorists to re-emerge every once in a while.

15 minutes ago, Victarion Dondarrion said:

Correct, Lebanon wasn't involved in the 67 war, nor the 73 war. The year-span I mentioned was the peaceful years.
1949 was when the war of Israeli independence ended, and the armistice between Israel and Lebanon began. A Lebanese civil war started in 1975, and in 1976 some of the factions in the civil war (lead by Palestinian militias who were deported from Jordan) reached a point of starting to focus hostilities against Israel. That lead to the birth of various terrorist organizations such as Amal, and Later Hezbollah, which gave way once again to the bloody conflict between Israel Defense Forces and Lebanon based terrorists to re-emerge every once in a while.

I didn't know that. Sounds very interesting. I suspect that it was after that war that the whole religious division of the government happened, the one that is still plaguing the country?

The raiding and carrying off of women (according to the Westerosi, who may have voluntarily left or remained with the Free Folk, according to the wildlings) has created a situation where border clans have children and grandchildren in both camps. 

The border clans have had troubles with the wildlings, but they have also had trouble with each other. They are culturally as well as geographically closer to the free folk than to the Lords they nominally serve further south.

I believe border clansmen cut out the eyes of Jack Bulwar, Hairy Hal, and Garth Greyfeather, framing the Weeper (who was far to the west). They want the Watch to serve their interests, be on their side, and if anyone gets the gift, they want it to be them.

Whether or not, the Flints, Norreys, Burleys, Harclays, Knotts, Lockes, Liddles and Wulls are playing their own game, not beholden to the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. They are willing to serve King Stannis or Lord Bolton to the extent that either serve or threaten them. I am not sure how staunch they will prove. It seems to me the most loyal left with Robb and died pointlessly in the south. The Flints and the Lockes sent their apologies when the Stark in Winterfell (Bran) held the Autumn feast, and many other clans did not seem to be there. No-one mentioned sighting a cripple-boy on the back of a half-giant heading north to the Wall with a direwolf to the Lord Commander. 

Are we to suppose that the Liddle Bran met was the only soul that laid eyes on them or saw their tracks, that he said nothing to anyone? That the Flints in the west are not as vigilant in their watchtowers as their cousins in the east who saw Sallador Saan's ships and passed the info on to Godric Borrel? That all the eastern Flints were too focused on pirates at sea to notice a wildling woman with a Stark and a direwolf heading towards White Harbor? The clansmen know more than they are letting on, like Lord Manderley (possibly in alliance with Lord Manderley).

Stannis's kneelers have the run of the Gift, and Mance's union of the Free Folk has led to an uneasy broken medley of the raider folk familiar to the Northern Westerosi clans, and the linguistically and culturally different Hornfoots, Nightrunners, Ice River clans, Milkwater clans, Walrus men, salt sea sailors, mountain men, and cave dwellers, life in the far north is going to get interesting. Alys Karstark might make the Karstark lands a safe space for wildlings, if she wins over Arnolf's people. Who knows what Hrrion would have, or could have, if he ever comes back to the Karhold. Even supposing he embraces the Thenns, it is unlikely the neighbours will. 

Perhaps the clans have a home ground advantage, but the colonizers come from a tougher environment. Stannis supports them (but he isn't there). The Watch supported them under Jon Snow, but the stewards coup instigators are very anti-wildling. There might be massacares.

On the other hand, the wildlings have a lot of warriors, the Westerosi clans were stripped of their fighters by Robb and Stannis. The stewards that stabbed Jon Snow have not got popular support (not yet). 

Both the Westerosi and the free folk know that when winter comes, you stop fighting, start sharing, hunker down and work together to survive. The lone wolf will perish but the pack survives. Maybe I am thinking like the Southerners at the wall, who have only experienced one or two northern winters, and those more than a decade ago, underestimating the power of a hostile climate to bring a cease to hostilities.

Archived