US Politics: In A Hypocritical Condition

Fragile Bird

Speaking of Biden being nice, there's a lot of focus ATM on this aspect of him, that he's a decent human being and good guy. Even the Lincoln Project has joined in with a rare ad purely about Biden:

Besides it being topical, I was just listening to Conan O'Brien's latest podcast with Michelle Obama, and she was very much focused on how people know that Trump cares about himself, his family, corporate interests, and so on ahead of the nation, whereas Biden is a guy who's dedicated most of his life to public service, has not gone out to feed at the trough as he could have long ago, who's fundamentally a good and decent person.

6 minutes ago, SaltyGnosis said:

Even so.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/doomsday-planes-trump-covid-19-test/amp

Couldn't find the other thing I read but sounds like it's just the normal doomsday stuff always happening in the background and not some elevated new threat.  But yeah, not something that's ever inspiring to think about.

More from the Reuters/Ipsos polls:

Sixty-five percent of those polled agreed with the statement: “if President Trump had taken coronavirus more seriously, he probably would not have been infected.” Predictably, 90% of Democrats agreed with the statement, but so did 50% of Republicans.

The poll also revealed a lack of faith in Trump’s statements on Covid-19. Fifty-five percent of those polled said the president has not been telling the public the truth about the coronavirus, with 34% saying they believe the president’s statements. Eleven percent were unsure.

The poll was taken on 2 and 3 October.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

On Meet the Press, NBC polling has Biden +14 (53/39). The results are a post-debate, pre-COVID-19 diagnosis of Trump.

Today’s NBC/WSJ poll numbers got me excited and scared at the same time... too good to be true.

According to the WSJ, “Bill McInturff, a Republican pollster who directed the survey with Democrat Jeff Horwitt, cautioned that the poll was conducted during an unsettled moment after the caustic presidential debate—“a shock to the system,” he called it—and could reflect a temporary reassessment of views. “The public can be taking a moment to say, ‘What did I just see, and how do I feel about it?’” he said. Mr. Trump could regain ground, Mr. McInturff said, given that “he has a history of bouncing back to some set point.”

Here’s hoping Trump’s Covid diagnosis proves to be a double whammy for him.

40 minutes ago, teej6 said:

Today’s NBC/WSJ poll numbers got me excited and scared at the same time... too good to be true.

According to the WSJ, “Bill McInturff, a Republican pollster who directed the survey with Democrat Jeff Horwitt, cautioned that the poll was conducted during an unsettled moment after the caustic presidential debate—“a shock to the system,” he called it—and could reflect a temporary reassessment of views. “The public can be taking a moment to say, ‘What did I just see, and how do I feel about it?’” he said. Mr. Trump could regain ground, Mr. McInturff said, given that “he has a history of bouncing back to some set point.”

Here’s hoping Trump’s Covid diagnosis proves to be a double whammy for him.

Every casual observer I've spoken with after the debate who paid attention said Trump was a jackass. Nobody seemed to even care about Biden. And the fact that he mocked Biden about wearing a mask literally just a day before an outbreak took place within his inner circle that infected him, well, that just makes him look worse to any reasonable person. 

12 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

No, this is about you coming out with an axe to grind, when Biden does  the smart thing, and not give sound bites, or doesn't throw meat to you or the left wing of the Democrat party.

Get over it, seriously. I have legitimate problems with Biden and the Democratic party precisely because I fear they could still lose. Quit attributing your malfunctioning schema onto me.

9 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

I'm kind of two minds on this. on the one hand, I think that given how he's positioned himself the way Biden did things was probably the best way to go about it, excluding the pulling of negative Trump ads, that was gutless. On the other hand, the hand wringing about how the Democrats need to be nice to lure over moderates/former republicans is a little silly. The Republicans are fucking psychos who exploit every single opportunity to make their opponents look bad and kick them when they are down, giving zero fucks whether people like it or not, in fact if it bothers the Democrats, all the better. These people we are trying to draw over are Republicans voters, and they have voted Republican despite the fact that Republicans are assholes, and to cry foul now is nothing but disingenuous virtue signaling.

Now this is not to say that the Democrats need to go full on Republican, because I'd really rather they didn't, but the idea that we have to be the nice ones really gives the Republicans the upper hand, because it doesn't matter if you do the honorable thing when it's supposed to be sabers at dawn and your opponent brings a Tommy Gun. A major part of that is that the Democratic base has been conditioned to think this way, just like they have been conditioned to think that deficits matter and that we can't do anything substantial lest we piss off the people who already hate us.

Also I gotta say that it is funny that Twitter is banning people for saying they hope Trump dies when Ilhan Omar regularly gets death threats on the platform and they don't do much of anything about it.

You said it better than I could. But this is it. The Republicans are psychopaths who have caused physical and emotional harm to so many people. Playing "decent" with them to lure some of their voters over is a great way to lose the heart of what your party is supposed to stand for.

8 hours ago, DMC said:

There is a difference between "giving the Republicans the upper hand" by being overly accommodating and refraining from classless rhetoric in a national election wherein you're trying to demonstrate you can be a, or the, world leader.  Let's say Putin or Jinping was in danger of dying.  Would you want the President of the United States to be like "ha, you deserve it!"?  I think many on the left need to take a good look in the mirror and recognize that it isn't about getting "moderate" Republican votes or whatever the fuck, it's about just acting like a decent human being.  Because when you lose that, then the fucks like Trump and Putin win.

Not to mention, putting politics aside for a moment and recognizing we're all people IS good politics.

Strawman (of course). Omar's text was not "Ha, you deserve it." It was not cruel or petty, it was a pointed way of saying, "I grieve for those you hurt, not you." 

7 hours ago, Relic said:

Civility aside, why WOULDNT Biden be hammering home how incompetent the current White House is? The last few days have given Biden more than enough ammo to prove just how dumb these people are, how big a danger they pose to the public...USE IT. 

This makes sense--a lot of people here argue we want to siphon Republican voters for this election. By not doing this, it's like going through an entire boxing match, you get your opponent where you want him, but instead of the knockout blow, you walk away for "decency" or whatever. Everyone keeps saying, "This is politics, they have to be political." So, yeah, knock your opponent out. 

7 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Strawman (of course). Omar's text was not "Ha, you deserve it." It was not cruel or petty, it was a pointed way of saying, "I grieve for those you hurt, not you." 

Strawman (of course).  I literally clarified I had nothing wrong with Omar's tweet in the next post - just your fundamentally misguided application of it to Biden somehow observing too much "decorum" in not attacking Trump more or whatever current reason you come up with to whine again, it's hard to keep up:

8 hours ago, DMC said:

I have absolutely no problem with Ilhan Omar's tweet cited above.  But Joe Biden is not running for President of Minnesota's 5th Congressional District. 

Okay, did I miss something or did Conley say that they gave Trump dexamethasone???

And he totally dodged the question about damage to the lungs or heart. 

Man, they really do not learn. I have a feeling if Biden ever didn't wear the mask they'd also attack him for doing that...while ignoring everything the Trumps do.

Trump campaign adviser couldn't explain why Trump went to fundraiser after Hicks tested positive

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-covid-19-updates-sunday/h_3e1568671f74118363bcc991c47a2acf

"We take it seriously. It's why we give everyone coming to rallies or events, we give them a mask. We check their temperature. You know, I would say that with regard to Joe Biden, I think too often he's used the mask as a prop. Mask is very important, but even if he's — he could be 20, 30 feet away from the nearest person and still have the mask on. That's not going to change anything that's out there. Also we've seen with — with Joe Biden, I mean, we can't all just stay in our basement for the rest of our lives," Miller said.

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Okay, did I miss something or did Conley say that they gave Trump dexamethasone???

And he totally dodged the question about damage to the lungs or heart. 

His bit about lying, re: Trump wasn't and isn't on oxygen, was particularly pathetic as well.

16 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Right?! Like, I haven't been staying on top of the latest COVID research, but IIRC dexamethasone is straight up harmful when used as a COVID precautionary measure or for mild cases. It's only for serious cases.

Many of the Trumpers enjoy harming anyone but white male republicans. They are learning to be sadistic from Trump. Anything that gets in the way of that thrill may be hurt with pleasure. The dumb comes from natural gifts or extreme cultish behavior. Trump showed us wish fulfillment World Wide Wrestling video. That is what he wants from his base cheering as if for a fake wrestling match.

Archived