US Politics: In A Hypocritical Condition

Fragile Bird

2 hours ago, Kalibear said:

It's always best to frame any news conference or right-wing news feed for the intended  audience.

The audience is Trump. It isn't his supporters, it isn't his detractors, it isn't actually providing news - it is directly to Trump.

And they believe that telling Trump that he might get out tomorrow is helpful to his care. It's probably inaccurate. It's probably WILDLY inaccurate. But just like yesterday, they wanted to spin a good side not because the US population would buy it but because it is what Trump wants to hear.

Fuckin a.  Well said.

14 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Put the Secret Service agents in a hermetically sealed death trap for his ego... what a man. 

If Trump does refuse to vacate the White House on January 20, I'm thinking the Secret Service will be more than happy to throw him out on his ass. No other help required.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad.  Gotta say though in general, it's rather ironic that Trump lying about his health is actually the one time in which he's pretty much following established norms by previous presidents.

decided to sue, saying that the language of the state law ceding the land to Congress was only for establishing a federal capital district and nothing else. I'd be surprised if the state sued. If they did though, I have no idea how the merits of that might play out.

fairly sure the states involved can consent to a new state being formed from their territories, and have constitutional standing to sue on the question, art III.3?

The wording of this story is weird on all the sites.  Did he actually return to the WH, or was he doing a 21st C version of 'showing himself to the people?' (Like El Cid, when he was dying?)

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/president-trump-covid-19-positive-test-latest-news-2020-10-04/

Dr. James Phillips, chief of disaster medicine at George Washington University and an attending physician at Walter Reed Medical Center, tweeted that Mr. Trump's brief departure from the hospital was "theater" and called it "insanity."

"Every single person in the vehicle during that completely unnecessary Presidential "drive-by" just now has to be quarantined for 14 days," Phillips tweeted. "They might get sick. They may die. For political theater. Commanded by Trump to put their lives at risk for theater. This is insanity."

Phillips followed up with a second tweet saying his "thoughts are with the Secret Service forced to play."

"That Presidential SUV is not only bulletproof, but hermetically sealed against chemical attack," Phillips wrote. "The risk of COVID19 transmission inside is as high as it gets outside of medical procedures. The irresponsibility is astounding."

Mr. Trump said in a video posted before his departure that it was meant to be a "surprise." A travel "photo lid" had been issued earlier in the day, meaning that there was no warning to the press pool that this was going to happen.

5 minutes ago, sologdin said:

fairly sure the states involved can consent to a new state being formed from their territories, and have constitutional standing to sue on the question, art III.3?

Aye, article IV, section 3, clause 1 requires consent of the existing state if it would cede jurisdiction to that new state.  But I don't see how that possibly gives Maryland or Virginia standing over either the new state of Washington, Douglass Commonwealth or the new "Capital" considering neither Maryland or Virginia currently have any jurisdiction over DC proper.

1 hour ago, Castellan said:

It's going to be a pleasure to vote for whomever is running against this guy when the time comes...

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

Aye, article IV, section 3, clause 1 requires consent of the existing state if it would cede jurisdiction to that new state.  But I don't see how that possibly gives Maryland or Virginia standing over either the new state of Washington, Douglass Commonwealth or the new "Capital" considering neither Maryland or Virginia currently have any jurisdiction over DC proper.

Virginia definitely wouldn't have standing; since the land it gave for the District was retroceded back in the 1840s and became Arlington county. But with Maryland, I think the issue is that if the state wanted to be a dick they might say that the 1790 act said that they were ceding land to Congress for the purpose creating a federal capital district. And that if Congress isn't using the land for that purpose than it needs to be returned to Maryland.

But like I said, I don't know the merits there. And I doubt the state would sue, because who'd be in favor of it? Maryland Democrats would see their personal power diminished in the state legislature by having to accommodate this huge influx of population; and Maryland Republicans would never win a statewide race again (already very hard, but they do have the Governor right now). So I can't see the state legislature, governor, or attorney general sue; and I don't think a random citizens group of mad Republicans would have standing.

38 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The wording of this story is weird on all the sites.  Did he actually return to the WH, or was he doing a 21st C version of 'showing himself to the people?' (Like El Cid, when he was dying?)

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/president-trump-covid-19-positive-test-latest-news-2020-10-04/

Add that to the list of nicknames people have for him:  El Covid.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

And I doubt the state would sue, because who'd be in favor of it?

This.  Practically it doesn't matter, Maryland elected officials are not going to sue over this because their constituents are overwhelmingly more in favor of DC statehood compared to the rest of the country.  Anyway, as for the opposition using the 1790 residence act, that's...I mean I guess?  It just seems very silly.  You ceded the territory 230 years ago to the federal government and now you're claiming jurisdiction because of what the federal government wants to do with that territory?  Sure Thomas and Alito would use it as a reason to vote against it.  Maybe Kavanaugh and Barrett, too soon to tell with either of them.  But that's it.

I didn't say it would succeed, mind you, only that there are some other issues with DC that Puerto Rico does not have which will make it a bit more complex. Puerto Rico doesn't have any of that kind of weirdness, and realistically there's nothing that should stop it from becoming a state beyond political power.

Just now, Kalibear said:

only that there are some other issues with DC that Puerto Rico does not have which will make it a bit more complex. Puerto Rico doesn't have any of that kind of weirdness, and realistically there's nothing that should stop it from becoming a state beyond political power.

True, but OTOH and more importantly from legislative priority standpoint, DC statehood has already passed the House, in a bill that rather clearly resolves most of those complications, whereas Congress avoids Puerto Rican statehood like Trump avoids Mexicans.

47 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It's going to be a pleasure to vote for whomever is running against this guy when the time comes...

Not only just for the obvious reasons, he's the guy who unseated Russ Feingold (and then beat him again), one the last true gutsy members of the crusty old relic that is the United States Senate.

Archived