US Politics: In A Hypocritical Condition

Fragile Bird

9 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

That's pretty much it. Remember, Merrick Garland was nominated to the Supreme Court. McConnell just...refused to do anything about it. And then the current president won the election and the nomination essentially went away.

It would just be so juicy if this was vice versa and the Blue Wave takes away McConnell's Senate majority, and Joe Biden gets to nominate...Merrick Garland. 

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Garland was chosen as the nominee in part due to his "centrism" and the hopes the GOP would confirm him in fear of who a President Hillary would nominate in his stead.  If Biden is elected and the Dems take the Senate, I'd hope to do better.

The above. Merrick Garland can burn in hell.

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

Garland was chosen as the nominee in part due to his "centrism" and the hopes the GOP would confirm him in fear of who a President Hillary would nominate in his stead.  If Biden is elected and the Dems take the Senate, I'd hope to do better.

I agree, and I don’t think that’s who he’d go for. There would be a lot of pressure to at least choose a woman to replace RBG

5 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

With the White House COVID outbreak, conservatives like Mcbigski who were touting hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic (like Trump claimed to be taking) sure are nowhere to be found on the topic.

Their propaganda marched on, now they're in the "We never thought hydroxchloroquine was  good idea" step.  Gotta get with the times.

2 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

The new Trump strategy is to claim that Trump has experience fighting the coronavirus (as being an individual victim to it) in a way that Biden does not.

Yeah, I saw that clip. Speaks volumes about how the Trump campaign views the intelligence of Fox viewers. And like, it doesn't even insult them lol

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Delaying it until after the election, even if the appointment is confirmed in the lame duck session, means she's not on the court for any case regarding the election itself. It might not matter, but I'll take everything we can get.

Not exactly. There’s a five week gap between the election and when they become official, so she could still weigh in on them, and the only thing preventing her from doing so anyways if she’s seated after that is tradition. The reason she’s being rushed in less about the election and more to do with the ACA challenge that’s going to begin being heard a few days after the election.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not exactly. There’s a five week gap between the election and when they become official, so she could still weigh in on them, and the only thing preventing her from doing so anyways if she’s seated after that is tradition. The reason she’s being rushed in less about the election and more to do with the ACA challenge that’s going to begin being heard a few days after the election.

Another thing I don't get is the Republicans hatred of the ACA.   Its the perfect stop gap to keep our awful insurance system in play, and keep anyone from pushing for medicare for all.  If they really do kill the ACA, its just going to drive people to push for medicare for all and single payer a lot harder. 

As someone who thinks medicare for all would be better, I don't like ACA either.  I guess its marginally better than what we had.

3 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Yeah, I saw that clip. Speaks volumes about how the Trump campaign views the intelligence of Fox viewers. And like, it doesn't even insult them lol

"I like people who weren't captured by Covid-19....".."I don't like losers."

Anywho, not that catching a communicable disease is a mark of character, unless you were a rock head dumbass who didn't follow prevailing guidelines or took precautions. 

12 minutes ago, argonak said:

Another thing I don't get is the Republicans hatred of the ACA.   Its the perfect stop gap to keep our awful insurance system in play, and keep anyone from pushing for medicare for all.  If they really do kill the ACA, its just going to drive people to push for medicare for all and single payer a lot harder. 

As someone who thinks medicare for all would be better, I don't like ACA either.  I guess its marginally better than what we had.

They spent about 6 years saying they were going to repeal it and how awful it was. They have to do something, even if said something is ineffectual (or possibly that would be the best option for them). 

14 minutes ago, argonak said:

Republicans don't like the ACA because they are told not to like it by the wealthy donors that run the party. And the donors don't like it because of the taxes on on the wealthy involved. And the Medicaid expansion scares the hell out of them because it shows how effective government intervention in healthcare can be. Also, racism.

It really doesn't matter how much people push for Medicare for all if the SC just strikes down anything that gets passed. And that's just the backstop, first any legislation would have to overcome the Senate filibuster and moderates.

Take a close look at the Obamacare repeal bills. They totally fucked over people around 40 and 50 years old as far as healthcare goes. Many of those hit would have been Republicans.

24 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

The new Trump strategy is to claim that Trump has experience fighting the coronavirus (as being an individual victim to it) in a way that Biden does not.

Experience losing to the coronavirus? Experience transmitting it recklessly to others? Shitting in a bed instead of in the toilet doesn’t give you the rights to “sewage management professional” at the top of your resume.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

The doctors at Walter Reed are military. Trump is literally their commander-in-chief. Disobey an order and I assume they could be court martialed. There are rules about when orders can be disobeyed in the military but I bet they don’t cover not releasing full details about a patient’s health.

eta: and do you doubt Trump wouldn’t demand court martial?

The fact a doctor works at Walter Reed does not mean they are military.

There isn't a whole lot of meat in recent polls, except to note that the USC/Dornsife ones show a slight uptick for Biden into the 10-12 range, and some YouGov ones that are +8. All this giving Biden a somewhat healthy +8 ish lead (maybe even a little more than that). Oh, and a Siena poll out of Arizona that has Biden up 8 there.. At the same time, the Trafalgar group has him down 4 in Ohio (but we know they have their own special sauce as methodology that consistently has him lower than any other pollsters).

This is going to be the longest month in a year that already seems super long

24 minutes ago, sologdin said:

I don't get is the Republicans hatred of the ACA

their preferred health policy is evidenced in the walking dead, wherein the exercise of second amendment rights provides the answer.

Completely unfair to Rick Grimes. Alexandria has had some great healthcare workers.

Archived