UK Politics - It's a bit glitchy

Which Tyler

21 hours ago, Werthead said:

So when they said they'd have a world-beating track and trace system up and running within weeks of the start of lockdown it was manifestly bullshit. If anything, I'm mildly surprised the system is coping as well as it is at the moment, even if it's far off what is needed.

Yeah, I work in a hospital so I know all about how long those paper records can be, though I'm on the clinical side of things as opposed to the IT side. I would have a lot more sympathy for the govt if they had owned up to the task, communicated to the public the size of it, and taken it seriously - instead they promoted that bluster, and that bluster has been ever present since the pandemic started even though almost every facet of the response has been mediocre to outright incompetent. It's not how you build public trust or a response to a public health emergency.

Anyway, I hope the winter and the next few weeks/ months are not as bad as they have the potential to be.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54423988

what I hadn’t realised was that the devs at Public Health England decided to use the old XLS file format for their files to drag the data into. 

That XLS was replaced in 2007 really highlights how backwards most of these systems are.

Dunno if it’s related by I’m always amazed going to the doctors or hospital at how antiquated their systems are. They are always have IT issues and things are always incredibly slow and painful to use.

12 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

So I guess if it’s as big a job as you say, that means the problem is currently being solved with ... a second Excel spreadsheet? Or if they’ve really got some experts to hand, a second tab.

Looking at the link HoI posted that does indeed seem to be their solution.

To handle the problem, PHE is now breaking down the test result data into smaller batches to create a larger number of Excel templates. That should ensure none hit their cap.

24 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Cambridge Analytica probe finds no evidence it misused data to influence Brexit

just for those conspiracy nuts amongst us.. of which there are a few.

UKIP did not take up the proposal of Cambridge Analytica and Vote Leave used AggregateIQ instead.  So not really a surprise there was not enough evidence of Cambridge Analytica involvement.

“LGBT hate crime reports on the rise in the UK.”
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-54485587

Well this is suitably depressing, but not altogether unsurprising.

Really wish more people would take such statistics in consideration before crying that homophobia really isn’t a problem to any meaningful degree.

Or when they find a clear example of such bigotry;

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/10/08/kristie-higgs-school-worker-lgbt-indoctrination-tribunal/

To the very least try not to frame a person showing blatant homophobia having any consequence for their rhetoric as some great abuse of human rights.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8826825/amp/Gay-pupils-comfort-school-worker-fired-sharing-Facebook-petition-objecting-LGBT-lessons.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/david-starkey-darren-grimes-slavery-interview-police-investigation-durham-b932758.html

I think while we can all agree that Starkey is a bit of a dirty old racist and that Grimes in his interview did an awful job, not challenging Starkey in what he said, it seems most people also agree that getting the police involved for what somebody said in an interview is a big over step of their powers and a waste of their time. 

I saw a bit about that on Twitter a few days ago - the investigation is into Grimes as publisher rather than interviewer, because publishers are liable for anything they publish. However, I agree it seems a bit of a waste of time.

This is fine.

Also, from the same document

Clear, consistent communications will be essential,and a consistent package of measures should be adopted that does not appear to promote contradictory goals

It's a pity that the last few months have been anything but clear and consistent communication.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, we're definitely going back into full lockdown aren't we? :frown5:

I won't be closing my business regardless and I feel(and personally know) like A LOT of other people are thinking the same. 

The rules are a joke and make zero sense. 

The mad beach getherings and pub reopenings don’t seem to have causes the 2nd wave; that seems to be due to schools reopening. But they’ve no plan to deal with that, they can’t just shut schools indefinitely, and so it seems they hope shutting pubs will help. I don’t see it having much impact.

And this time it’s sparked protests. If the businesses just open anyway, all or most of them, what eill the government do?

They can talk about rules but no one’s

forgotten Dominic Cummings’ little road trip and how the government defended it as good parenting. If the only way to give their kids food and a roof over their heads is to keep their business open, is that not good parenting too and so justifiable?

This was thr government thet only weeks ago was telling people to stop workong from home.

Aren't a large proportion of the cases amongst students? Not school children? Aren't children about half as likely to catch and spread the virus as adults? 

So closing schools makes little sense. Closing most of the businesses in fact makes little sense actually. Most restaurants and pubs are doing fantastic work sticking to the rules and those places are cleaner and safer than most peoples homes. 

I saw a stat that said the number of cases coming out of gyms was absolutely insignificant, so closing those would be ridiculous as well. I know my own gym is ludicrously clean, and everyone there is going out of their way to wipe everything clean and keep their distance. 

So I'm not sure why they don't pay more attention to where these actual cases are happening and see what they can do there.

Or maybe this entire plan to have local lockdowns is in fact a stupid one that can't work, maybe because the areas they are locking down are just too big and cases are already too spread out, and because people don't confine themselves to just a small area but have the ability to travel.

On top of that, is this really the plan now? Just keep locking down everything, hoping to slow the spread.. but to what end? What is the goal? I still don't understand. Are we really just crossing our fingers for a vaccine in April? That is moronic. 

16 hours ago, Maltaran said:

I saw a bit about that on Twitter a few days ago - the investigation is into Grimes as publisher rather than interviewer, because publishers are liable for anything they publish. However, I agree it seems a bit of a waste of time.

I wonder what Grimes should have done in this situation. Would the answer have been to shove a segment on the end saying he should have challenged Starkey and that he didn't endorse it? Possibly, but it is just a sop really.

And why shouldn't he have published it is the question, had he cut that bit out or not published then Starkey doesn't get his racism exposed (though with Starkey its about whole stream of racist comments made over the years adding up to a bigger picture)

The real question is whether this is a police matter at all. Do we need the police involved every time someone says something a little dodgy? Do we want police watching peoples Twitter feeds and turning up at their doorsteps for telling jokes? And if so is it even handed, for instance will the police be investigating the BBC and Frankie Boyle for allowing guests to say that 'Kill Whitey' is not a joke and they mean it. 

It opens up a bunch of questions.

The problem is, the government are trying to find a middle way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54518002

The government's scientific advisers called for a short lockdown in England to halt the spread of Covid-19 last month, newly released documents show.

The experts said an immediate "circuit breaker" was the best way to control cases, at a meeting on 21 September.

Labour said the advice was ignored but No 10 said it took "robust" action.

That 'robust action', of course, was the 'rule of six' and advice to work from home if possible.

Meanwhile, there's evidence that the scientific advisers were against reopening universities for face-to-face teaching for any subject where that is not absolutely essential, and now want face-to-face teaching suspended for at least two weeks where possible.

Why did the government not go for a short lockdown when it was recommended? Why did it allow - indeed, encourage - universities to reopen? Because internally, the Conservative party hates lockdown measures and keeps trying to find ways to compromise in order to 'save the economy', leading to lack of clarity, changing rules and further spread of cases (and the economic damage, of course, still happens because that's not how things work. You can't just duck the economic hit by sacrificing a few grannies and crossing your fingers.)

13 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The real question is whether this is a police matter at all. Do we need the police involved every time someone says something a little dodgy? Do we want police watching peoples Twitter feeds and turning up at their doorsteps for telling jokes? 

If I can get banned permanently and all my various devices logged and also blocked from setting up a new account from a small cycling website, then twitter, Facebook etc can do the same for all their users. I'm sure more techno minded people than myself can get around it, but the majority of speakers of bile arent that techno savvy either.

We dont have the time to investigate real crimes, online offence needs to take a back seat. 

Archived