Dornish Bone Bribe... is there more?

Angel Eyes

28 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

That's interesting as I never saw the Dornish reaction or action as insult.   Aerys was rude to Elia and I cannot help but wonder if Doran understood moving his sister from Dragonstone to the Red Keep as aggression and threat.  That is certainly fear supposing the move was taken as a threat against Elia's person.   It is entirely possible Doran knew the king was mad, too.   That's all very frightening given the Martell family closeness.  The passage you offer tells little outside anger, yet Doran was playing his long game even there, in sending support.    Would that we all had that level of self control.

Aerys certanly insulted them when he used Elia as a hostage, but what I mean was that they were initially insulted by Rhaegar actions and his affair with Lyanna.

On 11/28/2020 at 11:13 AM, Curled Finger said:

Do you believe Doran and Oberyn were really won to Jon Arryn's peace with simple human remains?  I have been deep diving into World War 1 lately.   A fascinating time of intrigue and power grabs and utter insanity.  There are no easy peaces.  The US merely filed a complaint against Germany for sinking the Lusitania, when over 100 Americans were killed.   It was not until England intercepted a proposal/plan from Germany to Mexico to effectively invade and claim the south western states that the US finally joined the Allied war effort.  Talk about biding one's time?!?!?!  While the time of Jon Arryn's visit to Dorne was hardly war time, it was a pensive moment in Westerosi history setting up a new regime and attempting to repair the injuries of the newly ended civil war.  It was only 300 years ago the victors of conquest in Westeros killed all the men and married the wives and daughters.  This killing Elia and her children had to be an astounding crime by the commonly held rules of war.  (This also brings to mind the letter Aegon I received from Dorne that caused him to declare peace.)  We know little of Dorne's true motives, but by all accounts Jon Arryn was a good man who worked to promote alliances (read unity) before, during and after Robert's Rebellion.  I imagine there was much to answer for in Dorne and that Arryn did his job there.  Perhaps not completely in Dorne taking no place on the Small Council nor seeming to really engage with the larger society in the years during Robert's reign.  Perhaps only enough to buy tentative peace until he died.   I can't be sure why Oberyn opted to show up in King's Landing when he did, but it was a long time coming if Arryn made the offer when he visited.    In short, and I apologize for waxing long winded here, there had to be more on the table than bones to affect this peace.  

I do not believe Doran and Oberyn were so easily won, the point of this thread is the fact that it appears to be easily won and conflicts with what we know about buying peace in-story and what GRRM personally believes, hence there must be more.

8 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Aerys certanly insulted them when he used Elia as a hostage, but what I mean was that they were initially insulted by Rhaegar actions and his affair with Lyanna.

We will have to agree to disagree on this point, Ser.  I do appreciate the clarification.  

7 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

I do not believe Doran and Oberyn were so easily won, the point of this thread is the fact that it appears to be easily won and conflicts with what we know about buying peace in-story, hence there must be more.

I wondered if you and I were actually agreeing about half way through my reply.  It's good to find a like minded thinker in this.  

Archived