Westeros

HBO Reveals First Actor Cast in House of the Dragon

There might be a different option too: Telling two storylines, the first starting with the death of Aemma, and the other one starting with the death of Rhea Royce, or something like that.

They just can't begin it in later than 105AC. They need to build it up, but I don't know how. And since George has a bigbig part in the series, I expect it to be 100% accurate to the book. But then the children of Alicent wouldn't even be in season 1, maybe Aegon and Helaena, and a pretty young Rhaenyra(around 7-8), and a Daemon around his twenties. I can see skipping 106-111, and 111-115, but not the year 111, and of course 120-128.

The way I imagine it: One or two seasons in 105-106, then another in 111, then three between 115-120, and the remaining (maybe 3 seasons) in 128-130, with a lot of recalling memories of he missing periods.

I want it to be canon, or at least semi-canon, bc GOT was only a weird fanfic comparig to the books.

But the things I need to see: Viserys and Daemon recalling memories of Balerion, Jaehaerys, Alysanne and Baelon.

Edited by HerblYY

On 10/8/2020 at 1:31 AM, The Dragon Demands said:

@Lord Varys

Why did Viserys tolerate Daemon's antics for as long as he did?  

1 - He still was his brother

2 - Viserys wasn't a complete idiot: like Robert to Stannis, as it were, he could always threaten to name his younger brother as heir.  Now I say "threaten" because it would have been really difficult to actually do it, but the THREAT of it was far more valuable; he wasn't a complete idiot, he wasn't blind to the ambitions of the Hightowers.  He may have seen Daemon as a counter-balance of sorts.  Indeed, the SPECIFIC reason he managed to get even the Hightowers to support public declarations that Rhaenyra was his lawful heir, was the threat that if she was not, for a time that meant Daemon would be his heir (whom they hated).  I like to think the Viserys was trying to make the best of a bad situation, with limited options.  

Oh, Viserys' motivation is reasonably clear. He liked his family and forgave them pretty much everything. What we don't have is a clear concept of the Viserys-Daemon relationship, especially in their youth and childhood. The dynamics there are pretty unique, with Viserys being four years older than Daemon, meaning we have almost an Aenys-Maegor age gap there. This kind of thing firmly establishes who's in charge since one brother is definitely much older (unlike, say, with Aemon and Baelon who were much closer in age).

But we don't know what they did in their childhood and youth together to be pretty close, nor do we know what fueled Daemon's ambition in his early adulthood or his weird stunts later in life.

This show has to make them come alive as characters, and make us understand Daemon's relationship with his brother, Rhaenyra, Otto, Alicent, his stepsons and, especially, Mysaria and eventually Nettles.

As for the heir thing - before 105 AC Daemon actually was Viserys I's presumptive heir. He did not make him Heir Apparent or Prince of Dragonstone because he still believed he would have a son one day, but Rhaenyra wasn't the heir until the ceremony. After Daemon's 'heir for a day' remark the king had had enough of Daemon seeing himself as his heir and decided to put him into his place by making his daughter the Heir Apparent.

True, true.

Just that he wasn't totally naive; there's points in the text when it says even he got annoyed at the grasping of Otto and Alicent.

.....though yeah but the time of the ....incident, with Rhaenyra, that made him return to the Stepstones, he had plausible heirs.

Edited by The Dragon Demands

Some bits of information about the costumes and creation of House of the Dragon by Ryan Condal

Personally  I think he seems like a nice guy- a fan of Tolkien and Martin. Though as we see with Viserys I "good guys don't necessarily make great kings" it remains to be seen how it would develop the show.

Miguel Sapochnik seems to be involved  and they seemingly stick to proverb : "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - relating to the costumes who will have slight adjustment compared to GOT, mostly in fashion of earlier time period.

Timestamps:

House of the Dragon Production Design & Costumes - 10:26

Making House of the Dragon, Getting Hired - 38:06

Edited by Eltharion21

I just hope that this one doesn't end up being a disappointment like the other one was.

Edited by Lorath

On 10/6/2020 at 4:14 PM, Sal Pimienta said:

Paddy Considine is a brilliant actor. This is a good first sign for the casting.

Yes, he's a really good actor.