US Politics: The Motorcade of Madness

Durckad

19 minutes ago, Durckad said:

This debate was worse than the first, if only because "the moderator" here is somehow even less effective than Chris Wallace. Pence just talks over her and she doesn't even offer any speck of criticism or pushback for Pence's blatant lying or Harris's dodginess on some questions. FFS, Pence just said that Harris and Biden were trying to create some "new mail in voting system" for the election... which is just so fucking absurdly dishonest. And she says nothing. Wallace, despite his protestations that he would not fact check, he actually did do it on some of the more ridiculous lies.

Pence looks good because he's just allowed to do and say whatever he wants. I'm guessing most will say he won this fucking travesty because he was allowed to just steamroll over both the moderator and Harris with lies and dishonesty. He got some good digs in too, but again mostly because of his preternatural lying.

But I guess at least they weren't yelling at each other, amiright?

I think she is doing better than him. I agree with everything you said about Pence and the moderator, but he's clearly just full of shit.

So I just took Drudge's "poll" just to see the results and it was about 70/30 Pence.  Not surprising given his history, but I think it's quite interesting given Drudge's...coverage of the election, especially everything the past whirlwind of the last month from the Atlantic story to the tax returns, to definitely that last 8 days.  I thought maybe he was adapting because the partisan composition of his readership (or really views) had changed, but nope not really.  His, or that site's, effect on "swing" voters - meaning generally disinterested white men - should not be underestimated.  And it is night and day compared to his "coverage" of Trump in 2016.  Actually think this could be an interesting research project...

While I definitely thought she could have hit Pence harder, Harris did everything she needed to do. 

I was hoping someone could help me figure out something: Harris is obviously a sharp debater, but sometimes she goes off on some very tenuous tangents. I know that some of them were dodges, but other times she just did it for no apparent reason. And that was something that was somewhat apparent even back in the primary. I don't think it necessarily hurt her, but it's just odd to me.

6 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Thanks for clarifying (mansplaining) that there, Tywin.

this is not dynamics, this is male privilege. I want to go slap Pence right now.

Me too. Brian Williams called it Pencesplaining.

Pence often flies under my radar which is his superpower I guess, but now I actively can't stand him. As bad as Trump but a different style and perhaps more dangerous. Wanted Kamala to go after him more but she's gotta mind the assertive woman is a bitch thing and it's worse for black women. Going to donate now. :tantrum:

40 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

We're going to hear all about Pence mansplaining, and yet literally no one who isn't already anti-Trump is going to care.

Trump won suburban women in 2016 but is waaayyyy down this year. 2018 was about pissed off women. It's now escalated to Rage Moms who are being pushed out of the workforce by the pandemic and husbands who think they put in their share of childcare and household chores but don't. Black women specifically are *the* base of the party.

Definitely room for movement especially when you consider adding extra motivation to those who are already supporters and suppressing enthusiasm for women leaning Trump or in Trump's camp. It matters when you convince a weak Trump supporter to at least stay home.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/elaminabdelmahmoud/parenting-dads-gender-gap

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/07/economy/women-workforce-coronavirus/index.html

So, Pence did a redo of his 2016 VP gig. Telling lies for Jesus in a calm, reassuring voice?

The more things change, the more the stay the same. I guess there's some relief that there exists some sense of continuity, even in the times of corona.

7 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Pence giving everybody pink eye is really killing me.

I thought South Park references are reserved for @DMC

10 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So, Pence did a redo of his 2016 VP gig. Telling lies for Jesus in a calm, reassuring voice?

The more things change, the more the stay the same. I guess there's some relief that there exists some sense of continuity, even in the times of corona.

Well he can rest assured there is no gimmick infringement because I've seen maybe 10 episodes of South Park in my life.

25 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

As an avid libertarian, I'm sure Mr. Parker would like to emphasize his IP's references are reserved for no one but him and his stoner buddy he Afflecks.

53 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Covid: Trump describes his illness 'a blessing from God

https://www.bing.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-54455040

He is off his nut at the minute. All the kids in london are trying to get a hold of his cocktail, nobody wants smack or crack anymore. 

5 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

Well he can rest assured there is no gimmick infringement because I've seen maybe 10 episodes of South Park in my life.

The show ran its course a long, long time ago, but there are way more than 10 episodes you should see. Please at least tell me you've seen Scott Tenorman Must Die.

I didn't watch after the first 20 minutes or so - Pence is insufferable and I was tired. That said - from what I have seen and read, I wish that the covid discussion talked much more about other countries response, success, and return to normalcy.

There were remarks about the number of cases in Taiwan, Korea, etc. but not that they've been able to return to normal life while we are still in this shit (and it is about to get worse in the winter).

Archived